Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Glandular fever

Poster: A snowHead
I have been unfortunately diagnosed with Glandular fever.

I have a Uni ski trip in 3 weeks time that I'm desperate to go on. Therefore I have 3 weeks of recovery out of the estimated 4-6 till the trip. Anyone who has experience of it will know you have to avoid physical activity.

It was the one thing I forgot to ask the doctor when I got the news.

Does anyone have any experience of skiing with glandular fever?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, no idea, but hope you get better soon. What rotten luck. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, some people get better from glandular fever way faster than that. And you only need to avoid physical activity if you genuinely are fatigued - I rarely recommend people to avoid exercise. There is a lot of tosh talked about EBV and GF. BUT - if you have had any of the liver or other complications you may need to avoid alcohol.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, I think you might have to inform your Insurance company otherwise you will not be covered if it causes any medical problems during your holiday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erk Sad
Was about 2 weeks of feeling really really bad for me, with a diet of icecream and jelly - that's the only thing I could swallow! Then another 2 weeks of "getting back to normal", followed by a few weeks of A-Level revision. Took months for the general feeling of lethargy to go though. I wouldn't have wanted to ski in those 4 weeks.
Flat mate and another friend got it at the same time as each other (which led to all the usual comments about when did they snog Wink ). They both recovered at different rates 4 weeks vs about 3 months to be properly back to "normal".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Christopher, boo! You should listen to the stoatperson, what with him being a quack etc.

But +1 for the no alcohol, liver complications or no - it has always wiped me even when on form and under 25 (embarrassing but there you go). Proper food, minimal booze, lots of kip - the way forward.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for your replies. It seems I'll be ok to actually go skiing.

I have been told to stay t-total til after christmas. Unfortunately the 24 hour coach journey is very much booze fuelled to take the pain and boredom of it away, but I'm going to have to endure it without any sleep or drink I imagine. Its when I start drinking again that is the grey area, but don't want a cheeky drink in a few weeks time to set me back and affect my ski trip.

Yeah my budget without alcohol means I can spend a great deal more on decent food, which I have already been recomended.

andy, I'm hoping then if I have similar recovery time as I think then I'll be fine to go skiing, but I'll just be knakered during and after. I'm pretty sure I have been through the acute stage.

riverman, My insurance is through Off the Piste/Student Skiing the booking agent and it states Full Wintersport Insurance (No excess). I have so much to sort out that frankly I don't think I will inform them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christopher, you'll certainly know if you're past the acute stage. With me, I'd have needed 1 hour to get enough energy to get out of bed for anything, even to surf the net or watch TV for a bit, but I guess it affects everyone differently. Definitely +1 for the teetotal bit, although my ex-flat-mate complained that alcohol beer tastes revolting if you're used to real beer. Best thing is to take it easy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, Think of the positives. Everyone else will be getting drunk and "THINKING" they are a hit an telling everyone how they are going to pull that gorgeous girl/man at the bar.

They will just get pissed and make an erse of themselves.

You will be sober and the one they WILL want to pull.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

My insurance is through Off the Piste/Student Skiing the booking agent and it states Full Wintersport Insurance (No excess). I have so much to sort out that frankly I don't think I will inform them.

Problem is that if you have any problems there related to GF they won't bear the cost.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You "may" be ok. I had it when I was self employed (so didn't get paid for not working). I was off for 5 days, tried to go back to work which was a big mistake and was off for another 9 days, largely spent in bed. They may have better treatment compared to 20 years ago. Didn't really have any feeling of lethargy, well no worse than 'flu.

However don't overdo it, if you ski don't go out drinking. Given that this is probably going to be hard on a Uni trip you may be better cancelling if you have insurance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I seem to recall taking our daughter skiing when she had GF, long time ago - she was absolutely fine there in Austria, I think she was still at school at the time, and the mountain air seemed to do her a lot of good. Of course being our daughter, she did have her mother clucking away making sure that she did not get over tired and all those motherly things. Good luck!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, I don't think I could cancel a ski trip unless I physically couldn't go.

On the insurance front I will take a chance no complications occur due to glandular fever. I don't think broken limbs are related or likely to be related to glandular fever, which is the main reason why I have insurance frankly.

I will just have to resist the urge and the peer pressue to drink.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends on whether your doctor advises you not to go. If they do then you will be travelling against medical advice and insurers will not pay out for anything that may happen (I understand that insurers can check with medical professionals regarding known conditions prior to travelling)

Best of luck whatever you decide
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had it as a child, and refused to stop sports (hockey, trampolining, horse riding and I did have a ski holiday with it as well) etc with it. The doctor didn't insist on it, his attitude was that if not doing sport was going to really get you down it would do more harm than good. As a result it dragged on a for a longer, but I still got over it.
snow conditions
Christopher wrote:
Cheers for your replies. It seems I'll be ok to actually go skiing.

That's great news. So you'll be mono-skiing, so to speak?
snow conditions
Weird how GF affects people differently. I had it a 15 and it totally knocked me out for 3-4 weeks - literally, I could barely get out of bed and, when I did, I was shattered. Then another 2 weeks of half-days at school and no sport for that + another 2-3 weeks. Considering I rarely get ill with anything and was really physically fit at school, it was a a real downer being so weak and tired.

Anyway, Christopher, good luck.
latest report
Christopher, bad luck, I had it as a student too (a few weeks before some big exams).
As regards the insurance issues, if your Doctor is aware that you are away skiing and when, and hasn't objected (and has recorded that he/she is aware), then you are covered.
If you go to your insurer, they will tell you to check with your doctor, and if the doctor says no, you're not covered.

I recall trying to play squash about 2 weeks after the start of GF, and having previously played 80 minute sessions, I managed about 20 minutes and was knackered. Very important to pace yourself, and, certainly at the start of the week, don't put yourself well away from the resort until you have some feel about what your exercise capacity is.
Agree no alcohol (I remember getting drunk very cheaply for a few months after my episode).
latest report
chrisdavis wrote:
So you'll be mono-skiing, so to speak?
, Laughing

I, too, had GF at about 19, and was completely floored by it, although it seems I did have a particularly bad bout. I was incredibly weak for a fortnight or so, and it probably took a couple of months before I felt back to normal. I certainly couldn't have skied in those early weeks, but as you'll see from the responses, everyone is different. The alcohol warnings are right though IME Sad
latest report
Quote:

Does anyone have any experience of skiing with glandular fever?

'Fraid not.....Crystal, Inghams, Thompson? Yes! But no, never skied with Glandular Fever Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mountainaddict, funnyman snowHead .
latest report
PS:
What I also meant to add was that I had also had glandular fever.....many years ago, when I was about 20.The thing I remember most was being told that my liver had been affected and that I couldn't touch alcohol for 6 months Confused
snow report
Hi!
You have probably already been, but I will share for others with the same question.
I had this exact problem a few months ago. I was about 2 months into GF and had really bad fatigue. The doc said not to go skiing, of course, but I was an Aussie in Austria - who wouldn´t go!!!??
I certainly didn´t feel 100% for the trip but I decided to go anyway.

My main suggestion is to listen to your body. If you feel tired or begin to get a sore throat, take a break! After only 2 or 3 runs I felt very fatigued so rested for 1 hr and then got back to it. That worked for me. Sometimes it was a few hours before I needed a break. It feels good to finally do some exercise, so I think you will feel good at the time due to the adrenalin! But be prepared to sleep as early and and long as possible, because, you will be destroyed.
I made sure I eased into exercise by walking, then a slow jog a few days later, then longer jogs before skiing followed by 2 days rest before the trip. I did some leg strengthening exercises aswell to prepare. It will be a big shock for your body to jump straight into a full day skiing. However, it is possible. Be prepared for a few days of complete rest after your trip.

check out this post - http://fittripper.net/traveling-glandular-fever/ - It is not directed at skiing, but travel in general and includes great tips for managing glandular fever.

I hope everyone has a speedy recovery!
fittripper
snow report
fittripper, unfortunate Christopher has almost certainly been, mainly because he posted his situation 5 years ago. rolling eyes

P.S. Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
And interesting site Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy