Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Layering with a shell?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, got all of my kit sorted now for my trip to La Clusaz in January. This is the first time i'll be skiing in a proper shell (ME changabang).

At the moment I have a few of the Helly Hansen Lifa base layer sets that Cotswolds are doing. We have a washing machine in our apartment so the smell isn't an issue!

I again have 4 or so North Face polartec tka 100 fleeces.

I'm also using smartwool medium weight socks

I found this set-up toasty last year although i was using a decagon jacket which is a a little more substantial than a shell.

Any tips on an extra layer i could purchase incase I find myself a little cold?

I was thinking a merino baselayer that i could wear under the HH?

Hugh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hugh b, on colder days, i wear a HH lifa over a merino base layer, with a fleece and jacket. Works a treat, go for it.

Merinowool is the best baselayer IMO, and can be worn for the whole week without needing washed. Money well spent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hugh_b, Same jacket as me... brilliant piece of kit. The most I've ever worn is a thermal and thin fleece top... I seem to ski warm. I'd just put an extra thin fleece top in the sack in case you get chilly on the odd day. The Changabang has quite large pit zips so you can cool down without having to take a layer off fairly easily.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hugh_b, I just wear a merino base, polartec 100 lightweight fleece and shell. I dont tend to feel the cold and this has served well at -25 and below, before windchill.

You could add a fleece gilet, which would keep the core warm without restricting arms if you needed to. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a windstopper gilet with micro fleece liner is what I carry in my rucksack. Always comes in useful at the outside ice bar ! rab compressible "down gilet" or similar are great as they take up very little room in you pack and are really warm. I wear a merino base and lightweight tech fleece or icebreaker under my special blend jkt which doesnt let in any wind and Im nice and warm even in jan windchill.. My only problem is that I sweat quite a bit and although these tech tops keep you warm when wet the novelty wears off when the sun has gone down and you slow down so an extra base layer is always in my pack as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i will be warm enough in the HH lifa, polartec 100 then a shell but I popped into my local field and trek today and found some Ice breaker oasis 200 tops in my size for £25 each so got both of them! I'll see how the temperature is but I'll stick one of this on under my HH base layer if need be.

Hugh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a few hellys, 4 or so nf 100 fleeces ,2 icebreakers 200's,. Hugh, you are most definitely are not going to get cold. Have fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear the following....

Base layer.
Thin fleece gillet (Polartec 100) or thick fleece pullover (Polartec 200).
Shell.

In my rucksack I carry a thin fleece pullover (Patagonia R1)

I also take a hooded synthetic jacket (Quechua Bionassay Warm) - This is mainly to wear in the evenings, but I occasionally wear it for skiing if it is unusually cold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was warm enough last year with 1 long sleeve Icebreaker 200 layer, 1 Icebreaker GT (250 weight I think) and an Eider ski jacket.

I started the week with an extra Icebreaker short sleeve layer underneath all this and I had to peel off in the afternoon as I was too hot.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy