Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So that's why people find it so hard to learn to ski...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We tootled off en masse (we're celebrating family Xmas early as this makes all the logistics easier) to Braehead Xscape to celebrate also my youngest Bro's 40th.

Although we had thought of the idea weeks ago, it was only decided on mid of last week so the OH and I didn't have time to bring our own boots with us. Doubly annoying for me as I've just had SZK wave his magic wand and fit me up with a nice new pair of boots. (There will be a full report on this later, courtesy of our sponsor, Kirin Beer).

So instead of a lovely pair of Salomon Lab X3s for me, or Dobermann WCs for her, we had to use the locally supplied stuff.

No idea what they are, other than absolutely crap. I mean, crapper than crappy, crap. Even a full size below normal I was still barely touching the sides.

I was expecting a few issues to be in soft tourist boots, but nothing like this. Really made the whole thing infinitely harder.

If you don't own your own boots and plan on skiing more than once in your life, buy some boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how true. But I have also said the same about having your own sharp skis
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Even a full size below normal I was still barely touching the sides.

I found exactly the same at Hemel. I have horrible feet - hammer toe and bunions - so normally "off the shelf" I'd need bigger boots than make sense. But at Hemel even a size smaller and I was hardly touching the sides. I skied for 20 minutes but had no control (trying to sideslip on the top ski just wasn't working) and had to go a size smaller again, which squidged up all my toes but was bearable for a couple of hours.

Coping with rubbish skis is (except in extreme conditons) much preferable to coping with rubbish boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisb, you have a reasonable expectation of hiring decent kit in resort. And today, we knew it was the Ellis Brigham ski test so we reckoned we'd be OK.

I can ski on anything as long as the boots are OK.

Our thanks to the very friendly and helpful Katy who was excellent.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

If you don't own your own boots and plan on skiing more than once in your life, buy some boots.

Spot on advice...should be posted at every artificial ski slope in the UK.
These "hire" boots have also spawned a whole load of people who have no idea what a ski boot fit feels like;thus they can often end up with the wrong boot/fit even if they do buy Confused
Maybe I was lucky? But,when I started skiing,it was spelled out to me that the boot is the essential link between your brain and your ski's,and correct fit was the most important aspect of all.You can play around with ski's till the cows come home(or you run out of cash),but its all wasted with ill fitting boots.
Was in Lockwoods 2wks ago,getting the OH nice new boots.Whilst waiting,was amused by a lady telling a increasingly exasperated boot fitter "they are too tight,I can hardly move my feet" rolling eyes He tried,at length,to explain the fit and dynamics of a modern ski boot....and spent a lot of time checking and double checking everything.She took his advice,in the end,but sternly said she would come back if she had the slightest problem.Rather think she will trouble him again Mad
I wouldn't be a boot fitter at any price...I'd just give them a slap and tell them to buy off eBay wink

Yes,the OH got nice new boots,perfectly fitted,as the should be.Now all she has to do is learn how to ski wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Even a full size below normal I was still barely touching the sides

Hmmmmmm, tempting, so tempting wink Laughing

This reminds me, perhaps I should get some new ones. Don't need them but I've had a bit of a windfall so temoted to treat myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couldn't agree more. Borrowed boots suck. On the other hand, if you learn to ski in them, you'll be a champ when you get your own fitted boots. Bit like learning on a dryslope and then going on snow for the first time....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy