Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Vices and preparation bench needed

Poster: A snowHead
My son is progressing well with his dry slope racing and we are now looking for a preparation bench and vices. There is asale at snow and rock but I wondered if there were any better choices any snowhead could direct me to at the present time. We are insisting he makes apercentage contribution to his equipment to try and build a sense of value along side his sense of need ....... dad I've got to have ............!!
Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Alun Williams
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alun Williams, snowHead 's own spyderjon just made the same commitment to home tuning. His threads over on Epicski here, here might give you something to mull over until he gets a chance to chime in.

Out of curiosity, were you thinking of traveling with the bench?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've made a first dabble as well, I've been and bought a file,wax, repair candles and a scraper in the sale @ S&R. Haven;t invested in benches and vices as they aren;t cheap Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vices aren't very expensive are they? about 130chf in the local store I think.

As for the benches, I can't see why anyone would have one at home, I made a bench myself for around 150chf which I use for other work of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
in the Snow and Rock sale, £56, which is around the same price, yes. Still a fair bit of money to invest when you don;t know how well you;ll do at it!

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/sale/ski/products/EMCCL.htm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, but as you pointed out elsewhere, you should soon see the saving over shop servicing cost. I serviced our skis and boards for some years without a vice though, it's not vital to start with but they do make life easier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alun Williams, if you do go down the vice route don't make the same mistake I did in buying (on sale at Decathlon in Albertville) a set that could not handle modern fat skis or indeed skis with thicker footplates. They were red in colour and I think might be SWIX. In the end I had to buy the yellow ones from S&R which are fine. It might be incompetance on my part, mind you, and am prepared to be wrong on the red ones. When i clamped the skis flat in order to do wax/scrape there was not sufficient clearance for my bindings. i tried all sorts of DIY solutions such as wooden blocks but never got them to work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll give ti a whizz without a vice and se how it goes. If I don't sem to be doing too badly I'll begin to get more gear. The same approach seems to be working for my Mountain bikes Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, for waxing purposes you can probably manage, but the skis really need to be clamped for the edges. I'd advise wearing gloves as well for a while at least (when doing edges)...

As for a bench (Alun Williams) - unless you intend taking it with you on ski trips - some sort of Heath Robinson arrangement in shed/garage is just as effective.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look at vices which can take a variety of ski shapes, I think the more expensive TOKO ones have changeable jaws, build your own bench, all you really need is a wide shelf but make sure you have enough clearance for bindings mounted on riser plates. If you want to take the vices with you when you travel, mount them onto a board which you can clamp to any sturdy work surface

Don't bother with TOKO grey binding retainer straps for holding the ski brakes out of the way as they are hopeless, I got given some heavy duty green rubber bands by my favorite swiss ski shop that do a much better job and are a lot easier to use.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the comments. Yes it does need to be portable. Last weekend, for example, a treck at Pontypool dry slope (cars can not park near) - uphill for half a mile with all the equipment and food and drink for each day. So, a foldable, light table and vices that will hold the skis for sharpening. Last week was Hemel Hempstead not so bad but car park was full (must get up earlier!). This week Gloucester ..... I really do want to move to snow!!! Alun Williams
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 18-08-06 13:04; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alun Williams, for a lightweight stable portable bench, what about a small B&D workmate ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf wrote:
Alun Williams, for a lightweight stable portable bench, what about a small B&D workmate ?

I use a B&D workmate to service our skis - it can be a bit of a faff getting the brake clamped out of the way.

CP
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP wrote:
D G Orf wrote:

I use a B&D workmate to service our skis - it can be a bit of a faff getting the brake clamped out of the way.

CP

How stable is it, with the downward pressure exerted beyond the edge of the table? The ski tuning portable tables I've seen have legs that stick out a bit for more stability. Can also be folded flat, for easy transport. I've one I bought in France, but always thought the cost (254 euros) was extremely steep for what it was. Hardly ever use it now I've sorted a permanent arrangement in the garage. If you're passing through Bourg Saint Maurice Alun Williams, I'll do you a deal! wink
ski holidays

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-08-06 13:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ise, Cunning, is this a Swiss invention Madeye-Smiley

Seriously I will make a couple of these up and use them for our next pre ski trip waxing.

Thanks

CP
snow report
CP, no not Swiss especially, I had a real brake retainer in my hand and an old inner tube lying on the workbench when it struck me that I could make about 50 new retainers.
snow report
ise, sounds like hard work! I just order a load of these from worden...
ski holidays
PG, My Son has a bunch of these, all in different colours with stuff like 'Livestrong' and 'No Bullying' embosed on them. Now I know what to use them for when the wristband craze has been replaced by something else. Very Happy

CP
latest report
I have plenty of old, burst inner tubes that I can cut up to make brake holders. Anyone wants some iseBands, come see me. You can even put them on your wrist to show support for the "Respect the Ski" environmental charity Smile
ski holidays
M80euf, I have at least one pair of the old style vices; ESS and square sidewall. They are actually useful to this day for clamping nordic skis, for cutting up to 10cm pipe, for mounting bindings, and they were invaluable when I was shaping Greenland paddles.

Granted, they're not the best for waxing, but I usually let someone else wax while I work on sidewalls. It will still let you work on the edges by side-ways clamping, surely?

nbt, they're also great for lining the bottom of home-built benches so they don't slip on lino, or shimming them for uneven garage floors, or keeping the ravens out of the bin, or . . . Laughing
ski holidays
comprex, you are right, but sadly i only have one pair of hands Very Happy
snow report
comprex, I have new last September Race skis from Head, guess what, they're straight side wall construction not capped, fortunately I have suitable clamps
snow conditions
http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-bench-design.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 9-02-16 1:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've just bought a portable ski service bench which some people might be interested in. I bought it from Ski Bartlett in London (Uxbridge) and it cost £70. I think they said they had it made locally to their own design. It is small enough to be carried in a ski bag along with a pair of skis, so portability is relatively easy. However, it needs a set of vices clamped to it to hold your skis in place as the "work surface" is only a 1 inch square section bar.

ski holidays
It could be hard to get a secure grip with the vices trying to clamp on such a narrow cross bar.

Rob, do the two holes in the middle of the cross bar go right through the square section steel?

If so how about cutting a piece of 18mm ply/blockboard to the width of the steel frame & a suitable depth. You could keep the vices attached to that & it could be easily fixed through the steel cross bar with a couple of bolts c/w wing nuts for easy dismantling. This would also give you a work surface so all your tools are to hand etc.

BTW, is that a pair of b5's I see? Cool
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
It could be hard to get a secure grip with the vices trying to clamp on such a narrow cross bar.
I tried it with vices in the shop and it seemed OK, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually use it.

Quote:
Rob, do the two holes in the middle of the cross bar go right through the square section steel?
Yes.

Quote:
If so how about cutting a piece of 18mm ply/blockboard to the width of the steel frame & a suitable depth. You could keep the vices attached to that & it could be easily fixed through the steel cross bar with a couple of bolts c/w wing nuts for easy dismantling. This would also give you a work surface so all your tools are to hand etc.
You could, but doesn't that kind of defeat the point of having a portable bench?

Quote:
BTW, is that a pair of b5's I see? Cool
Yes, half-price in the S&R summer sale Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These are used by quite a lot of the ERSA racers and it seems to work. I have used one with my Toko clamps and had no problem the length makes it much better than using a Workmate.
ski holidays
The two wholes do go through the bar. The bench can also come with two (removable metal rods) about 4-5 inches long which go through the bar pointing upwards. These are used to attach an adjustable plate which clamps into your bindings holding the skis very securely in position while normally also holding the brake out of the way. There is also an adjustable rod attached at each end of the bar to support the tip and tail. I use one of these normally twice a week (children race training on plastic). it is very solid and life is so much easier with the right equipment.
ski holidays
gsb, Itrob@rar.org.uk, It's called a COOKSKI. very useful at races and for Mrs Skis Phat Luvs snowHead . Not so good for my teles tho rolling eyes
ski holidays
I thought I would revive this thread since I have just bought a ski tuning bench for what I consider cheap that I think would be of interest for occasional DIY ski tuners. I got it from Alpine Imports http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/epages/pnxm7am8prhe.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/pnxm7am8prhe/Products/%22s%2016013%22 for £29.95 with a delivery cost of £4.00. I've also purchased a 'Vola Hobby' vice http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/epages/pnxm7am8prhe.sf/sec3d382d1549/? and it suits my need perfectly for waxing and sharpening my edges even with my 189cm K2 Obsethed skis.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 9-02-16 1:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I wanted to put pictures I've taken with my skis on but it does not seem to be possible so that's the best I could get.

ski holidays
for my DIY (kitchen table) tuning I use a pair of these - simple timber rests with a slot cut through the middle for side edge work topped with a grippy rubbery stuff that came off some sort of packaging I had at the time. I have the speed clamps any way to hold them to the table.
these also double as ski carriers in the roof box on the car so with minimal effort or space they head to the mountains with me.
snow report
Old thread resurfacing I know, but if it's any help for others planning a DIY bench (helps if you're handy with a router) : I've recently knocked up this for less than a fiver and wish I done it years ago : works a treat snowHead

latest report
I just got a plank of hard wood about the same thickness as the toes of my ski boots, drew round the boots and cut it to same length and shape. I screwed it to a bit of 4x2 which can clamp into any vice. Clamp into the ski bindings and it holds the ski very firmly. Also raises the brakes so you dont have to worry about elastic bands. If you dont want to use a vice screw the whole thing to a base board. Got some plasic scappers intended for filling and spreading from B&Q for under £2.
http://www.diy.com/departments/harris-75-mm-filling-spreading-set-set-of-3/254752_BQ.prd
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy