Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sad avalanche figures from Austria and Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Almost at the same time, the figures on avalanche victims of last season were published in both countries.

According to the report of the Ministry of Interior, in 150 avalanches 48 people died in Austria.
This is a very high number, especially compared to 2003/2004 season when 8 people died in avalanche.
It was not absolutely safe to ski on the pistes either, 44 skiers / snowboarders died in 3100 accidents on the marked pistes.

On the basis of the report of Avalanche Researh Institute 160 people were hit in 98 avalanches in Switzerland. 26 died and 37 injured.
The most accidents took place in two periods. In January, when Switzerland was hit by several storms, and around March 20 when the freezing point was above 3000m.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kerekip, Frightening figures , had also never appreciated the number of 'on piste' accidents .. let alone the death rates ... Really high
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dare I ask what the French & Italian figures were? - Just to compile the figures and assess the real risks for a European season. Anyone know?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reading the posts from this forum I would hazardously guess that France may come out the worst in the last season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm quite surprised that there were only 44 deaths on piste in Austria, I would have thought that there would be more than that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernard Condon wrote:
Dare I ask what the French & Italian figures were? - Just to compile the figures and assess the real risks for a European season. Anyone know?

France has had 24 fatalities to date but the year isn't over yet. The long term average is just over 30 fatalities per year in France.

If you are interested in some background to last year's incidents this document may be of interest: http://www.pistehors.com/images/avalanche/analysis-2004.pdf it is taken from the The Avalache Review which is the journal of the American Avalanche Association.

[edit]
removed spurious comma

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-05-05 14:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, I wasn't able to open the above link, but went to www.pistehors.com/images. Files appear, but I can't open them. Is use restricted? maybe it's my firewall.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bernard Condon wrote:
davidof, I wasn't able to open the above link, but went to www.pistehors.com/images. Files appear, but I can't open them. Is use restricted? maybe it's my firewall.

I picked up an Error 404 in both cases. Not surprisingly, in the case of attempted direct acces to the entire images folder, I guess.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting stats.
Anybody able to state the ratio to participants?
Is skiing more/less dangerous than oth 'dangerous' sports Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Extremely high snowfall and fluctuating temps in Eastern Austria contributed to the high number of deaths. For the first time in many years local smaller mountains were avi blasted and roads shut because of the avi danger.

If there wasn't any danger there wouldn't be enough snow to powder ski. When I 'go', if it's while I'm skiing I'd rather go in the powder than on the piste (or crossing a road).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy