Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just learn't to ski and I love it

Poster: A snowHead
Just wanted to share my new found sport, why it took me so long I will never know.

I have just had some excellent lessons at my local dry ski slope, not the same as snow as I have been told.

Prior to having my lessons I did some groundwork looking for some u tube video's which seemed to be aimed at the more experienced skier not beginners, video's and books which seemed to be expensive.

Using my Amazon kindle app on my I-phone I found an e book called Help2Ski for £2.90 bargain I thought and not a lot to lose if I didn't get what it was saying.

It was great in plain english by an author who certainly has had some success in teaching people to ski which is upported through his book. Made fun reading as a little humour was set in to the writing.

The first part about boots as crucial, i turned up for my lesson and was asked my shoe size and just given a pair of boots to put on, within seconds of putting these boots on my toes started to get pins and needles not nice, then remembering what the book said I asked for the next size up and then had to go up to the next size to find the near perfect pair. When coming back in heard some people maoning about their boots so explained to them what the book said and how to ensure you have the right boots.

Fantastic!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads jjb118. This does seem slightly suspiciously spam-like, but still - glad you've caught the skiing bug like the rest of us!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jjb118, learn't?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now all you need to learn is English and you'll be ready to roll. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Using my Amazon kindle app on my I-phone I found an e book called Help2Ski for £2.90

Every time I get a text/Facebook message/whatever from my brother it has a tagline saying 'sent from my iPhone'. Why would I care? If someone sends me a postcard they don't bother to scribble 'written with a Bic biro' on the bottom, do they? What next, 'grilled in a Morphy Richards' branded onto my toast?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your helpful responses may be my enthusiasm got the better of me!!

May be some constructive comments would not go a miss!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jjb118, Welcome to snowHead
Now you know you like skiing. You should get your own boots, they are critical in helping you progress. They should fit perfectly, get them fitted by a good boot fitter.
Despite all the script on here, I don't think reading about it is any substitute for some lessons on snow - it gets even better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, How do you know when someone has an iphone?

they tell you!! Laughing Laughing

I'll get my coat Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jjb118

Well done on learning.

I do hear people say 'you can't learn to ski from a book', but it can help you understand the learning proccess and prepare you for what to expect. [contentious] You also can't learn to ski from an instructor [/contentious].You learn to ski by skiing.

Regarding boots. I have been the guy at the dry slope who has to issue boots to first timers. There's only so much you can do with the choice on offer. You use a size conversion chart or measure with a gauge. The size is a starting point. You ask people to try the boots on and if they feel 'okay' off they go. The gauges seem to indicate a size smaller than people really need.

One night during instructor training I had to go without my own boots. I got a pair of club boots in my size grabbed skis, set the bindings and rushed out. The darned things might as well have been wellingtons. There is an exercise where you undo the clips and ski, it felt like I was doing that all night.

If you get your own boots, even cheap ones, they will wear to your shape and not average out to everyone who has ever worn them.

Boot shells sometimes cover two sizes, so sometimes changing by one size will actually land you up in the same boot.

Different brands and models have different shapes, so a good fit in one type may be too loose or too tight in another of the same size. They do sort of give width fittings now, but apparently these are not standardised.

I recall having to go back to rental shops several times on holidays to change boots. The purchase of a good pair of ski boots avoids this. The purchase of a bad pair of ski boots prevents the option of changing them.

I do know people who have rented a pair of boots that really worked well for them who were able to purchase the boots with a deduction in consideration of the rental price.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jjb118, your life is now ruined Very Happy your new love will take over more and more of your time whilst you will spend all you earn just to chase every oportunity to drop in. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jjb118, Well done! Don't worry about some of the comments, sadly you get a few complete tossers who also ski/board.
See if they have a regular club night with tuition at your dry slope (not race club though). If you can manage to get down there every week your skiing will improve dramatically and you'll be carving up the slope in no time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jjb118, welcome to snowHeads! Hope you continue to enjoy yourself.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jjb118, Welcome to sHs snowHead And welcome to your new addiction. Toofy Grin I predict that your future will included obsessing about web cams, the number of sleeps till your next trip, saving every penny for the next trip/new equipment (regardless of whether or not you really need it) and finally, all your spare time will be spent reading and posting on here. Repeat after me....

My name is jjb118 and I'm an addict.... Very Happy snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you to all the constructive quotes, xmas present list are vouchers for ski boots and any other equipment I can afford to buy.

Yes my name is jjb118 and I'm an addict.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jjb118 Learning to ski / board will turn out to be one of the best things you'll ever do.

[tosser alert] rolling eyes
Dorset Andy wrote:
jjb118, .....you'll be carving up the slope in no time.

A tall order for a beginner, don'cha think? wink

[/Alert]
ski holidays
Lizzard, Avago, joke nicked from Edinburgh fringe;

"A message to people with iPhones - You only bought it, you didn't invent it"
snow conditions
jjb118, beware! I put on skis for the first time six years ago, found snowHeads on my return looking for more information about the next trip, and now I help to run the site Shock

My name is Tall Tone and I most certainly am an addict! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy