Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Girl skis /boys skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello snow-types. I'm pretty new to here and to skiing, about to start my third season in scotland. I want to pick your collective brains about the merits of gender-specific skis (that's the best word I can think of!). At the moment I have some nice but old ex-hire shop rossignols - and they're...um...unisex? Or maybe just built for guys. I want to upgrade to something newer that can last me until I become a better skier. (Also I have a small budget, having just moved house. £120 is where I top out). I am watching skis on ebay and am looking at a nice Atomic C8 pair. But, again, they're for guys. There are some ladies' skis but there's less of a choice and because of that, I notice the bidding gets a bit frantic - like Next Christmas sale, it turns into a grab-match. Lots of sniping - ugh. So my question is, how important is it to have a ski designed for a girl? I know they're lighter (and the bindings are set further back?) I am more of a boyish shape, being quite light but tall. Are ladies' skis designed for the curvier of us?

PS On top of that, I stupidly jumped off a very high sand-dune last week (egged on by my son) and have sprained my ankle slightly, which makes me wonder AFTER ALL that very light skis would make my twiggy legs last longer on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My missus ski's on exactly the same ski's as me... Rossignol Bandit XX. But then these are meant to be quite "soft" and easy carving. And when I tried some stiffer ski's last season I didn't like them, so maybe I ski like a woman Puzzled Anyway my, limited, experience suggests if you find a softer "mans" ski then you would be just fine. Oh, my missus skied from a young age which may be a factor in the above, though I personally doubt it. Bandits are just great ski's.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - I'm now watching some Bandits as well - but there are no XXs, only B3s. These seem to be described as all-mountain, which I don't think I'm ready for. What do you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Women's skis are generally softer than the unisex version of the same ski although a ski aimed at expert women will be much stiffer than one aimed at beginner/intermediate men. They quite often have a more forward mounting point. I think some may also have heel lifts in the bindins as well ( Dynastar?). Some women love them, some only love some brands and some hate them. I ski on unisex skis, haven't loved any ladies K2, Salomon, Head or Elan skis but really liked some ladies Volkls I tried last year, however if someone gave me a pair of women's skis for free I would happily ski them, I don't think that many modern skis are that bad. If you are on a budget I would just get the best ski you can afford (unisex or female) and then maybe try some if you get the chance later, there is a demo at the snowdome at Braehead very soon and K2, Volkl and Line have had demos at Glenshee the last 2 years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a good idea Lynsey. Going to a demo would be great and would probably make me even more of a show nut! I'll keep an eye out for the next ones in Scotland
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
B1/B2/B3 were the next generation X, XX and XXX respectively. Basically the lower the number the more sidecut and therefore the sharper turns. You would be better off with B2's IMO.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Rossignol-Bandit-B2
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Rossignol-B3
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/skitest.htm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks you guys, that's a brilliant help!
I LOVE Snowheads
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks you guys, that's a brilliant help!
I LOVE Snowheads
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy