Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recomend any accomodation around Ben Nevis region? I have never tried skiing in Scotland before and was wanting to try it and take my nephew,looking on several sites it looks like Ben Nevis is about the best,but cant seem to find much in the way of cheap accomodation.Not bothered if its a B&B or hotel as long as its within a 15-20min drive away and cheap!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have stayed here
http://www.glen-nevis.co.uk/
we got a 3 night break in a 2 bed cabin for £200. Cabins were nice although very old fashioned decor, think granny's living room Smile There is a pub and restaurant nearby which was good for dinner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scooby1, the skiing at Fort Bill (Nevis Range) is on Aonach Mor. You wouldn't want to ski on Ben Nevis without a very detailed map, a GPS unit and total familiarity with the hill from summer walking and climbing. The hike / skin up from the near sea level car parking is over 4,000 feet too. wink

Just curious as to the context of your saying it looks like Ben Nevis (sic) is about the best ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiing aside, aviemore (cairngorm) offers far more off-hill choice (accom, food, shops, flesh-pots etc).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry wrote:
flesh-pots etc

Shocked Laughing

Agree with you about Aviemore though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 on Aviemore/Cairngorm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus Fort William is a bit of a nothing town. I was quite impressed by Aviemore Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dirt cheap in Fort William is the Backpacker place, it is a hostel but it has a couple of private rooms for a little extra. No breakfast though (you can make your self tea and toast), me and my mate headed to the Morrisons for a cheap full english (in Scotland! Lol).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But the skiing at Nevis Range is a superior experience to CairnGorm. CairnGorm is busy at weekends & the lifts are slow & in the wrong places. Queue for Bus then queue for Funicular isn't an appealing uplift option!

I've barely seen queues at Nevis and it's much the best ski area when the Braveheart is running. Glencoe seems (to me) to have at least as much lift-accessible interesting terrain as CairnGorm and is hours less driving, and quieter again. They are both much more scenic and fairly close together.

Glenshee has enough reasonable runs to make me question if the better snow, longer vertical and steeper terrain at Cairngorm are worth the extra driving and queueing. Generally, I'd say no. Unless you are touring.

Aviemore is the best winter sports resort in Scotland but is that enough to justify recommending staying there and skiing CairnGorm?

If going for a few days mid-week (so no Braveheart), yes. For a weekend, no.

Stayed at Inchree (south of FW so 20mins NR, 25mins GC) for £53 for 3 of us for Sat night last winter. Nice enough, decent beds and kitchen. Good beer at Pub. What more do you need?

Presume the hostel is even cheaper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what...snow wrote:
But the skiing at Nevis Range is a superior experience to CairnGorm.

For who ? For the Back Coire, maybe the OP or his nephew might feel uncomfortable dropping off a cornice onto a 45 degree slope with a 30 degree runout to access the Braveheart. On the front of the mountain, Nid Ridge is steep and intimidating for skiers who aren't sure of themselves on 35 degrees with a narrow entry point & the rest of Aonach Mor's skiing on the front of the hill although more family friendly is more limited in its extent to Cairngorm's.

what...snow wrote:
CairnGorm is busy at weekends & the lifts are slow & in the wrong places. Queue for Bus then queue for Funicular isn't an appealing uplift option!

Can't argue with that. It makes me mad at times.

what...snow wrote:
I've barely seen queues at Nevis and it's much the best ski area when the Braveheart is running.

Mostly true, but when the Braveheart is running, to access the Back Coire, you are competing with people wanting to play on the summit park via the top poma queue which can build to 2 lines of 50 deep.

what...snow wrote:
Glencoe seems (to me) to have at least as much lift-accessible interesting terrain as CairnGorm and is hours less driving, and quieter again.

Dead right. Glencoe is a place of beauty made by people passionate about skiing for people passionate about skiing.

what...snow wrote:
Glenshee has enough reasonable runs to make me question if the better snow, longer vertical and steeper terrain at Cairngorm are worth the extra driving and queueing. Generally, I'd say no. Unless you are touring.

If travelling with children (and I don't know if the OP's nephew is 10 or 30), like the other centres, Glenshee is best shared over a 2 dayer with somewhere that you can do something in the evening (cinema, pizza etc). Aviemore ticks the boxes there.

what...snow wrote:
Aviemore is the best winter sports resort in Scotland but is that enough to justify recommending staying there and skiing CairnGorm?

And who knows the secret of the Black Magic box eh ? However, staying in Aviemore doesn't preclude you skiing at Nevis, Glenshee or Glencoe on any other day over a long weekend.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scooby1, while i agree with what...snow that Aviemore is Scotlands best winter resort, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Fort William. If you are planning a weekend skiing, then i would say head anywhere OTHER than Cairngorm. If the snow is good, it'll be far too busy.

Glenshee is my local Ski Area of choice, the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel is under new ownership for this Winter, think they do B&B for about £25. Only 10 mins drive from Ski Area car park too. If the snow is good and the whole area is open and busy, the queue's are spread out over the whole area so not nearly as bad as Cairngorm.

As above, if your confined to the weekend, and all areas have good snow cover and conditions, i would head for Glenshee, Nevis Range or Glencoe before Aviemore. They all have enough terrain on and off-piste to keep you happy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Backcountryboarder, if the road is open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I said "skiing-aside" for cairngorm so dont flame me for suggesting SKIING ASIDE that aviemore might be best to stay round - considering he's dragging the nephew along.
(glencoe is my fave even though cairngorm is my local). In fact if I were coming from down south for a jaunt and all things were equal (and i had no wean in tow), I'd stay in Glencoe (Clachaig Inn - my favourite pub in all the world - and that's saying something!) and ski both the Coe and Aonach Mor in the one trip.

The age of the nephew could be the clincher as others have said (west coast not necessarily the relative best suited to little uns / beginners)

hard work imparting years of local experience sometimes rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cairngorm is busy on good snow days, but it's easy enough to set the alarm earlier and get somewhere near the head of the queue. Last winter, we were leaving the central belt at just before 6am and were quite regularly in the first 10 or 20 cars.

Also, if you're able to ski midweek, then you won't face any of the problems you can encounter at the weekends.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loads of B & Bs on the road into Fort William from the south. Usually no need to book in Winter. Also a couple of nice Hotels if that is what you want. Very nice, small, fish restaurant on the sea front called Crannog (langoustine are good).
snow conditions
Conditions and weather forecasts can be very different in the East and the West. There is rarely any difficulty outside of school holidays getting accommodation. The best way of increasing your chances of getting good conditions is to wait and see where the snow is good and go there.
Don't think either Aveimore or Ft Wm are exactly amongst Scotlands loveliest towns though both have lovely countryside nearby and plenty of smaller villages that are rather more appealing places to stay.
snow report
Quote:

For who ?

For any one who prefers sliding downwards at their own pace to shuffling sideways in a queue! Yes, the front side of Nevis isn't the most interesting skiing but at least it's got a nice view down Loch Eil towards Skye.

Not flaming you Barry. I think we all agree but are just putting our own spin on things. I bow to your expertise in children!

T Bar makes a good point about the conditions - ALWAYS worth considering those when picking where to go.
snow report
I get time off during the week of occasion and am thinking about a trip to sample skiing where everyone speaks english (Other than france on half term week). It's a pain in the backside to drive up for 2 days skiing from South England so my preferred choice of travel is the sleeper train from London. How feasible is it to ski in scotland using public transport?
ski holidays
sky_High30, pretty straight forward. You can get the train from Euston to Crianlarach and stay in their hotel. Last season they ran a free shuttle to Glencoe and back each day (about 20 minutes away). Not sure about timings...
latest report
sky_High30, also worth considering the Stewart Hotel Appin which is being run by the same bloke who was at Crianlarich last season, he's also doing a similar deal at another hotel, IIRC the Balavil in Newtonmore, which is closer to Aviemore/Cairngorm. I believe the Crianlarich has put it's prices up about 50% (and is charging for transfers) whereas the Stewart is priced the same as the Crianlarich was last year with free transfers and it's about equidistant from Glencoe and Nevis.

Not sure when you plan to head up but be aware that at the moment the only place open is Cairngorm (and double check weekday opening too). I'd expect the others to be open around Xmas/New Year although given the amount of snow already on the slopes and the probable forecast we could see them open early.
ski holidays
Actually Nevis Range isn't good for absolute beginners or for those who can't manage an easy red. OK if you're between these and can struggle down an easy blue - at least you'll get to rest on a Chairlift on the way back up!

My knowledge of the Crianlarich Hotel is entirely from the thread on Winterhighland so if your considering that option, go and read there.

Sleeper also goes to FW for NR (6mi) & Aviemore for CG (7mi). Reputedly expensive if booked late, hence the common driving theme.
latest report
Just found some links:

Balavail ski breaks
Nothing yet about the ski breaks at the Stewart but here's a link to their site anyway

As a general aside I find it interesting to see more of these deals popping up, could it be be that after a few successful seasons, and during a recession, more people are starting to view Scottish skiing as a decent option again, at least for short breaks, and the market is responding - I sure hope so Very Happy
latest report
what...snow wrote:
For any one who prefers sliding downwards at their own pace to shuffling sideways in a queue! Yes, the front side of Nevis isn't the most interesting skiing but at least it's got a nice view down Loch Eil towards Skye.

what...snow, for your same reasons above, for lift accessed day trips in Scotland, Glencoe usually gets my skiing £££'s anyway not least because it's nearest but also because of its 'real mountain' feel and the way that you can always find a challenge there with it being a natural terrain park. You don't have to rely on snow actually filling out the Coire face and Rob Roy's return like you do at Nevis, nor sufficient snow cover beyond Sunnyside at Glenshee to get over to Glas Maol or enough base for the drag lift to operate to pull you back out of the Ciste at Cairngorm. Granted, the Fly Paper is often closed at Glencoe too but that still leaves plenty of other interest (Springs, Haggis Traps, Canyons, Walls, Ridges, Glades etc etc). But without those connections being fulfilled at Nevis, Glenshee and Cairngorm, none of them serve up the same level of interest by ski lift for the more adventurous.

From the lack of information given by and the lack of knowledge of Scotland's ski centres displayed by the (conspicuously absent) OP in their question though, I just questioned why they wanted to ski on 'Nevis' and think that they'd maybe be better to commit themselves to Aviemore as a base rather than to Fort Bill. Yes, there are horrendous problems there sometimes at weekends because of skier numbers and I just avoid weekends there between January and early March but if they can chose their dates and intend staying overnight and doing two days or more at the same place (which seemed like their intent), it just seems to make a better 'weekend away' proposition.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 18-11-10 22:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The Crianlarich Hotel is still worth checking out if your thinking of doing the Sleeper, it makes it possible to get in 2 days skiing on one nights accommodation. So if the hotel is able to offer you early check on a Sat morning and late checkout on a Sunday afternoon it works out very well for Glencoe. You get into Crianlarich in time to grab breakfast in the hotel as well before the shuttle leaves for Glencoe, where as heading on to Fort William in the Sleeper means you don't arrive till almost 10am - not an issue for a longer break but if your wanting to maximise a one night break the Crianlarich Hotel and Glencoe option has a lot going for it despite the increase in rates from last year.

The Sleeper to Aviemore for CairnGorm also works well and gives you an option of various accommodation types and prices, plus there is an approximately hourly bus up the mountain (for most of the season, though some lacky at Stagecoach thought it a good idea to not offer a Sunday Service till after the Christmas and New Year holidays Shocked ).

More generally worth keeping an eye on here and Winterhighland, and doing a bit of googling - there's a few more offers in the pipeline for the Isles of Glencoe Hotel and the Moorings Hotel in Fort William (not in the league of the Crianlarich last year, but it includes dinner, b&B and lift pass). http://www.moorings-fortwilliam.co.uk/offers.html

Nigel certainly stirred things up last year at the Crianlarich Hotel, around 10% of Glencoe's skier days passed through the Crianlarich Hotel and people elsewhere have sat up and taken notice that it does actually pay to offer good offers and meet the specific requirements of the snowsports market. So more offers could well pop up. snowHead
snow report
Cairngorm is rubbish.

Lecht is rubbish.

Glenshee is rubbish.

Glencoe is very good.

Nevis Range is best.

Stay in Fort William.

Use Laterooms.com.
ski holidays
Whitegold, are you scooby1 too ?
ski holidays
Hi there - I am pondering taking DD (6) up home during English half term in February and would be in Kirkintilloch, just north of Glasgow (hence the name). If we were to plan to go to a resort midweek, which one would you recommend for us? DD has skied one week - can control her snowplough turns - and is booked into lessons at Hemel during Christmas holidays. Thanks.
snow report
 brian
brian
CaurnieBred, Ca' canny but ca' awa' to Cairngorm or Glenshee (if the snow's good, check Snow Reports on here at the time). Lecht would be fine too, but it's a long drive from Kirkie.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Brian Very Happy
latest report
Easy for you. Simply go the back road via Lernzie to miss out the cumbernauld roadworks. Glaeshee in 100mins
Cairngorm in 150mins.

Glencoe via milngavie and clydebank in 2 hours

Easy peasy.
latest report
Thanks GC too
ski holidays
Although I like the West coast resorts best it is true that there is often more snow in the East. Also beginners and early intermediates are probably better off in the East.

My preference is largely because I like the steep Back Corries at Nevis, but though the back tends to get more snow than the front, I gather they need a fair amount of snow to cover the rocks. Also Braveheart is only open occasionally, so though you can ski back around to the front you can only do the off piste (and the bottom of Braveheart) if you accept a 10 - 15 minute walk back up from the bottom of Braveheart.

If you take the overnight train to Fort William you miss the first part of the morning skiing. You might consider the alternative of EasyJet to Glasgow and hiring a car. You could catch an 8pm (or so) flight back after a full day skiing.
snow conditions
Hi folks,many thanx for all the replies and appologies for not being online for some time.....pc down AGAIN!!
My nephew is 16 and rather a good skiier.Never been skiing in scotland and just like the idea of putting my gear in the car and heading off without the hastle of airports etc,also hopeing to find a cheaper way of skiing with my nephew although the price of the lift passas do seem more expensive than the likes of Bulgaria!
snow report
scooby1, most of the resorts will do some kind of multiday deals and occasional special offers so keep your eyes peeled - the more flex you can be with days the better options you'll have (while yes, still a bit pricey relatively speaking)
ski holidays
Some offers and cheap tickets here
latest report
Quote:

hopeing to find a cheaper way of skiing with my nephew although the price of the lift passas do seem more expensive than the likes of Bulgaria!

Err... unless you live between Crianlarich and Inverness, or are staying for over a week, the biggest expense will be petrol!

Also have just done a quick recce on the cost of lift passes.

Chose Bansko as that's the most pimped Bulgarian ski resort on here. No costs on their website for this year (it's 7C and no lifts are open BTW) but last years price was 50Lev for a day ticket (55Lev over xmas/NY). Only under 12s get a discount there so the day rate for you 2 is: 2 x £21.43 (a rate you probably won't get IRL as it's off xe.com) = £42.86/day for the 2 of you. Over Xmas/NY price is £23.57 x 2 = £47.14

Actually moneysavingexpert says the best rate is 2.24Lev/£ so IRL price is £44.64 (even then you have to cross your fingers that Thomas Global Exchange don't go belly up until your money arrives).

Your nephew would get a junior discount at NR (being between 7 & 17) so £17.50/day there for him, £29 for you = £46.50/day on weekend days but using the buy 1 get second 1/2 price voucher quoted above by roga, during the week: £29 + £14.50 = £43.50

Confused

Try the conversion for a season ticket. 860Lev Shocked Shocked Shocked

Makes any Scottish season ticket, even the All Area look a bargain NehNeh

The beer seems much cheaper in Bulgaria though. From 67p/pint up to £2.23 (1.5-5Lev). Fort William does have a Morrison's where you can pick up some tinnies for a similar price but in the pub will be a little more. Since he's 16, I'm sure he'll be on the tap water anyway Laughing
snow report
The Permier Inn in Fort William. Not very alpine like or much apres ski but from £29 a night you cant really complain !
snow report
I never stayed there, but last time we climbed Ben Nevis we parked opposite the YHA:

http://www.glennevishostel.co.uk.

Its the wrong side of the Mountain, but you have more chance than you do at the Travel Inn!

Strax
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy