Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
What's it like?

I'm an early intermediate. Good on blues, getting better on reds.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the highest resort in france so it's a bit of a moonscape, no trees and can be very bleak in bad weather but the skiing is good and early/late season is the best location in the 3Vallees. Accomodation is mostly apartment based.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-05-05 13:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a good choice of runs for blue / red, the valley behind VT is a bit of a walk over the top but should be well within your capability. As I remember it, there's nowhere that you need to ski a black, there's always an easier alternative. There's a good range of lifts, plenty of fast chairs, with a variety of gondola type things and cable cars. It's one of the coldest places I have ever skied, -30C at village level in Christmas week 2 years ago. We skied only VT, the link to 3V wasn't open till mid-week and the lower resorts in the same valley didn't have snow, but there was enough skiing to remain interesting all week, although for 2 days most of the higher lifts were closed due to wind and / or too much snow.

Most apartments are almost ski in / out, shopping is easy to get to, the swimming pool complex is good. We intend going back, but only early or late season as David says, there's are far more interesting places mid season with trees and less chance of bad weather and wind.

Other resorts we have enjoyed recently are Ischgl, Wengen / Grindelwald, Mayrhofen, Tignes - all have a good range for skiers getting better on red. Have a good holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say that there are far more pleasant resorts that would suit your skiing. Val T rates as the ugliest ski resort I've come across (so far!!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, not been to Flaine then ? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, here's what I wrote about Val Thorens last year:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=25051

Went again this year at the beginning of April. The transfer time is the only thing I consider a real drawback (about 3.5 hours from Geneva). It is a bit of a moonscape, but the lift system is good. They've rejigged the return from the 4th valley now so there is a relatively easy red to avoid the walk that there used to be for the return.

Les Menuires is more ugly than Val Thorens!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, ise, mind you without massess of snow Mottaret's not that pretty either.... wink

jb1970, you'll love Val D. Where else you bin?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda - I've been to Soldeu, Soll, Les Deux Alpes and had a weekend in Italy (Gressoney)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Les Menuires is more ugly than Val Thorens!

Les Menuires is the ugliest place on the snowy bit of the planet Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, I admit to some feelings of sorrow when the fire which destroyed one of the apartment blocks this winter was PUT OUT Evil or Very Mad
Go there if you must, but I really hope that for your continued health/sanity/wallet that you do not need medical assistance whilst there, I found the service to be truly awful and would never go back. Ever.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come to La Plagne - bring tablet, lorne sausage and tunnocks caramel wafers and you'll be welcomed with open arms!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It definitely isn't pretty but it's a fantastic resort- plenty of close-to-resort motorway blues to build your confidence at the start of the week/in the mornings and some fantastic epic reds to get your thighs going later on!! Although the residential area might not be a picture there aren't many views that beat the one from the top of Cime de Caron. The lack of beauty also means that it's one of the cheaper (!) resorts in the 3 Valleys.

Also, there's the option to get a daily Meribel/Courchevel add-on to your lift pass if you're feeling confident at the end of the week (if you're not getting a three valley pass from the start). There are some lovely reds from the Col de la Chambre at the top of the Meribel valley (they get a bit busy in the narrow bits though....). Bare in mind that if you venture as far as Courchevel it is an all day outing and might not be a good idea for an early intermediate- there's definitely skiiable routes for you but it takes more time than you might think, especially with 3 Valley lift queues. It would require an early morning and a large hip flask Very Happy

The other great thing about Val Thorens is the 'hidden' fourth valley that can be reached from the Funitel Grand Fond- go over the back and you find a fantasic snow bowl with some cruisy reds and blues (and some great itineries if you come on leaps and bounds wink )

The snow is some of the most reliable in the Alps I reckon- when Courchevel and Meribel are starting to get rocky, VT is still fluffy and white.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee,
I feel sure a shopping list posted here over the season will get any thing your missing brought out for you.
I'm over in January and April by car so let us know what you are pining for!
Although Lorne Sauasge is difficult to get around here!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee - what about irn bru (barrs of course) and potato scones.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When is the best time to go?
ski holidays
jb1970, oooh potato scones- and scotch crumpets!!! I used to love having those for brekkie in the office, now im down south I have fruit Sad
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee - what about a big scottish fry-up including black pudding, fruit pudding, white pudding and haggis!!

Are you from Glasgow?
snow report
jb1970, No, im from Reading but I lived in Dennistoun for nearly 3 years, moved back down here a month ago! I miss the Sub Club on Sundays!! and all the cool food! and cheap booze, and good shops Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Cool - I live in Dennistoun just now - love it!!

I think Glasgow is a great place to live. People always think its really rough, but I think its one of the best places to live in - its a really happening city
snow conditions
jb1970, oooh I used to live in Hanson Park - next to the old cigarette factory!! I loved it there- sooo much fun - Merchant City is really nice in summer too - had a few friends who lived down there near Arta, so I used to go out there a fair bit. Dont go to Val Thorens, its like spending your holidays in Motherwell!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy