Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just how good a skier do you think you are?

Poster: A snowHead
As with some many others, my self-grading is based on a reluctance to visit the park and start to grab "phat air" (mainly for fear I'll get it wrong and hurt myself!). Not criticising the scale per se, you seem to have done a great job, but there does seem to be a lot of "freestyle" action around the mid point - perhaps reflecting your current preferences in terms of skiing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree that it is realism, rather than trying to underplay skiers' acheivements. The two skiers I mentioned earlier in this thread genuinely thought they were good skiers. This assessment was on the basis that they were fast, felt they didn't need any more lessons (therefore they must be good) and weren't scared of 'steep' slopes. In reality they spent too much time out of control when speeding down blues or reds with just the occasional sideways skid to counter the effects of gravity, were badly in need of lessons, and would have been scared witless if they had to ski anything genuinely steep. No doubt when they are next in S&R they will place themselves quite highly on their 1-10 scale and buy yet another pair of skis which they are unable to use properly. If they understood and accepted their paucity of skills it would not be difficult to become better skiers, but while they continue to think they are good there is no chance they will improve.

When people ask me how good I am, I normally say "good enough to know I'm not very good". I wish some of the people I've seen skiing would take the same attitude.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
PG
davidof, I would count the park and pipe as optional disciplines.

I shall have to harness up those wild horses one day :-).

I kind of see what you mean though - I did say earlier that an advanced skier should be good allround and (correct me if I am wrong) even ski teachers need to do a bit in the pipe and park even if they have no intention of skiing such disciplines.

I think PGs point about skiing within your ability is relevant. You may want to exceed your comfort level while staying within your safety level. Tanner Hall did make a good point in his comparison with Bode Millar. I would personally see skiing at a good level within the park or pipe in the same light as passing the Eurotest time as skiing the kind of slopes Flingle has shown us.

==============================

So for expert I would say any two of the below.

1. Skis/boards all snow conditions in control including breakable crust and moguls close or down the fall line
2. Ability to pull 720s or loops in the park
3. Passes Eurotest
4. Competently sking off-piste slopes rated 5.2 and above (extended passages of 45-50 degrees, passages over 50 degrees - possibly narrow). Can climb at 500m+ per hour

Expert Practioner on piste
i. ability to perform and communicate all ski/board techniques to other skiers - BASI 1/2 level

Expert Practioner off-piste
i. ability to manage a group in a mountain environment with the maximum safety given the regional conditions - expert at risk evaluation, route choices, group management, search and rescue

Expert level skiers probably started skiing as children, have done some competition and put in excess of 60 days on snow each season.
Expert level skiing may result in serious injury or death if a mistake is made.

Advanced - any two of the following

1. ski all conditions in control but extremely difficult snow (large moguls, breakable crust) would mean the skiing slower and their route choices are dictated by the surface.
2. grabs/360s in the park, able to huck and land small jumps
3. comptently skiing slopes rated 4 and above (long off-piste slopes or couloirs of 40 degrees possibly with sections of 45 degrees, forests. Can climb at 400m+ per hour.

Advanced Practioner on piste
i. Ability to perform basic ski techniques: snow plough, stem, parallel, carved turns and explain the mechanics to other skiers - Basi 3 level

Advanced Practioner off-piste
ii. may be a ski club group leader with a intermediate level ski, group management, cartography and mountain safety qualifications or may do 30,000 meters+ ski touring per year or 30 days+ off-piste per year with friends sharing some responsability for decision making

I would then introduce Basic Advanced. Avoids breakable crust, medium to large moguls, complicated forest routes off piste. Competently skis routes rated 3+, can get down routes rated 4+ depending on snow conditions. Probably does 20+ days off-piste/ski touring per year and at least 30 days on snow. Can climb at 300m+ per hour giving the ability to tackle routes some distance from the top of ski lifts or do longer day tours or shorter multi-day tours. Possibly some technical errors in ski technique which would probably need some coaching to correct. Maybe doing club racing. May avoid certain disciplines: off-piste, park/pipe. May have taught on plastic and may have done a 1 week BASI introductory course.

Practising another sport to and advanced level improve cardio-vascular fitness and relevant muscle groups.

Advanced intermediate. Probably doing two weeks on snow per year. Can ski all on-piste slopes in a ski resort but avoids moguls and icy blacks and narrow tracks. Can't ski crust and has trouble in crud (cut up snow on or off-piste). Can ski spring snow and can link some turns in powder on fat skis. Could ski off-piste routes rated 1 and 2+ on spring snow or shallow powder. Can climb at 200+ meters per hour giving ability to do some basic ski touring.

Probably cycles / swims or runs two or three times a week.

The lower grades have been well covered already. Feel free to improve or rip apart as you see fit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oooh I feel better about myself, I fit quite nicely into that Advanced intermediate description. Thanks, davidof!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Can climb at 200+ meters per hour giving ability to do some basic ski touring.

davidof, You mean walk up the hill Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

Can climb at 200+ meters per hour giving ability to do some basic ski touring.

davidof, You mean walk up the hill :shock: :shock: :shock:

You are not forced to - just that the potential is there. I was going back the idea that the main reason for this exercise was to sort out similar groups for ski holidays rather than brag about how good (bad) we all are on a certain scale. I just wanted to expand on the good work of others in the thread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some very interesting ideas on this thread.

My summer sport is golf and there are some comparisons and analogies that spring to mind.

I do not think that a scale is necessarily flawed if it does not represent everyone at all levels. In most sports the truly advanced expert practitioner performs at a level that most of us can barely comprehend what the challenges are and they are often very different to our own challenges.

The golfing handiap system is probably a very good representation of the ability of most club golfers and although it is theoretically extendable to all levels of golf in reality top amateurs and professionals are judged by the tournaments they win, tours they play on or money they make.

Expert skiers if they feel the need to judge themselves probably do it on such things as FIS points, races won, Grade of couloir skied, new routes done, height of cliffs jumped, technical difficulty of jump done or whatever.

The problem for most of the rest of us is that most scales including several of the ones suggested above are highly subjective. I am a pretty average golfer (18hcp) and even at this level I have the occasional hole where I pull of a birdie sometimes on a 'tricky' hole. The equivalent in skiing is sometimes I get down a tricky red run and feel I have skied it well. In golf you always have the score card in your hand to know that this is not your normal standard. In skiing one often believes that this is your normal standard and then you get a shock next time when the light goes or the surface gets a bit firmer and you discover that this scratching around is in fact your normal level.

In reality I do not have any idea whether I have improved or deteriorated in the last five years nor do I have any means of communicating to other snow heads in an accurate way at what level I ski whereas to fellow golfers the fact that I enjoy a particular course and my handicap is 18 probably means something to the recipient of the information.

I think an objective scale of measuring ski ability would be useful both as a means of aiding communication and of measuring improvement or deerioration in ability. It would also probably aid recruitment to ski schools. I think wea re still a long way from that ideal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, the reason that the park and pipe start to come in at the intermediate level on my scale, is that I think that that is when you start to go there. You are correct that it does reflect my own personal skiing. I would make the park an optional discipline, but I still wanted to intergrate it into the scale, to give an idea of what should be achievable at any given level. The on and off-piste criteria I would consider compulsory.

davidof, I used to avoid the park, but now I feel it adds a whole different dimension to enjoying my skiing. It makes easier runs more fun, because you can go and use terrain just off the side, also the park is good in spring and slushy conditions.

Looking at your scale, I think that we agree that "Expert" implies a degree of knowledge of the mechanics of skiing, above and beyond that which is needed purely to ski down a slope. I also agree that there is a need for an "advanced" section between intermediate and expert. Looking at the criteria that you have put for advanced, that would seem to slot in nicely above the intermediate section.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG,
I'd go for numerical rather than labels. However for the scale to be useful to the majority and not the elite I believe there should be more numbers between 1 and 4 on Kramer's scale. Whether there should be more numbers at the top, should depend more on whether it is possible to usefully define further distinct levels, than the necessity to gratuitously extend the scale, lest any level 7s (who rightly ought only be called level 4) think they are more than halfway in skill to a level 12.

Edit:

davidof,
Smoking!!!
I knew you'd come through. I think we can all go home now.

T Bar,
I like this and have stated it but much, much less eloquently:
Quote:

In most sports the truly advanced expert practitioner performs at a level that most of us can barely comprehend what the challenges are and they are often very different to our own challenges.

Sorry guys, but I just feel
davidof wrote:

Advanced intermediate. Probably doing two weeks on snow per year. Can ski all on-piste slopes in a ski resort but avoids moguls and icy blacks and narrow tracks. Can't ski crust and has trouble in crud (cut up snow on or off-piste). Can ski spring snow and can link some turns in powder on fat skis. Could ski off-piste routes rated 1 and 2+ on spring snow or shallow powder. Can climb at 200+ meters per hour giving ability to do some basic ski touring.

is a little more realistic than
Kramer wrote:

6- Advanced intermediate - A very competent skier in all conditions, on and off piste. Still a holiday skier, and not a professional. Can ride the park and the pipe with style, attempting and landing simple tricks. May well have done a season or more in the past, or has been skiing regularly for more than four weeks a year (average) for more than ten years.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-05-05 7:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof,

I like your scale. Can fit all the skiers I know into it easily.

Kramer,

I'm not a big fan of the park. Mainly because I know that to become good you have to be prepared to fall and get injured. And I just don't want to! I've seen expert skiers get some pretty nasty injuries in the park, that they would be extremely unlikely to get anywhere else on the mountain. I like getting air off moguls and in the "fun" terrain at the side of the piste, but because I don't practice in the park that area of my skiing is way behind every other area. Conversely I know some guys who can pull some awesome tricks in the park, but the rest of their skiing leaves a lot to be desired.

I also wonder whether the park is a male / female thing? You don't see many women in the park, skiers anyway, snowboarders are a bit different. Though you see plenty of women participating in other "expert" aspects of skiing - off-piste and racing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
why the need to compare and class when skiing for recreation, only method to accurately grade is timed runs super g or otherwise
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, I think that there are plenty of skiers in all the groups of 1 to 6, it's just that many of them aren't english.

I would say that having more divisions at the lower levels is likely to be counterproductive, after all there are only four grades of piste. level one would be happy on greens, level two on blues, three on reds, four on blacks. Five would be itinerary runs, six pretty much anything on the mountain. I think that's about all you need to know to choose equipment, tuition groups, or skiing groups.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I'd split that up a bit further,

level 1 controlled on Greens
level 2 controlled on Blues
level 3 controlled on Blues but can cope with Reds
level 4 controlled on Reds
level 5 controlled on Reds but can cope with Blacks
level 6 controlled on Blacks
level 7 Itineries/Some off Piste
level 8 go anywhere

this would make it easier to define the level of intermediate and advanced skiers for the purposes of instruction

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 18-05-05 11:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, At last the voice of sense. For the purposes of ski groups, this just about fits the bill
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty, Yes but I've seen plenty of right plonkers that are apparently happy on reds and blacks. Trouble is the people they're sharing the piste with are decidedly unhappy.
latest report
PG, there are always plonkers, the ski instructors are out there to turn people from plonkers to skiers, the trouble is that many of the plonkers don't use instructors Laughing
snow report
D G Orf, So simple yet so good. Only I'd substitute "happy" with "controlled".
snow report
PG, If people are going to kid themselves that they are better than they are then surely it doesnt matter what grading is used.
snow report
slikedges, your wish is my command Little Angel
snow conditions
Kramer's suggestion sounds eminently reasonable.

I made reasonably steady, if slow, progress from beginner to Kramer's level 4 (5 on a good day), but I've skied with a few really irritating so and so's who have been whizzing down reds and even easy blacks at the end of their first week, looking pretty good in some cases, but who can lose control/wipe out at any time on any piste and at any speed for no apparent reason and are a menace to one and all. I obviously hoped that they would break something (of their own). Where do you classify them? They'd be 'happy' on pretty much anything, but no-one else would. I don't suppose any grading system can cope with them.
snow conditions
D G Orf, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kramer, Maybe time for a separate thread, but I still stand by the mode of skiers being between your levels 3 and 4, with the median being between 4 and 5. So for the skier on the Clapham or Claviere omnibus I'd like a scale to be able to define for him what he is now capable of, and compare it with what he had been capable of and what the next achievable step (not aspiring leap) might be for a steady progression. That's why I'm in favour of more levels. We don't need to use the term "intermediate" with the baggage it carries, just numbers. As far as the upper echelons go, I think davidof has sorted it.
ski holidays
Well from my own chart snowHead I used to be a fast 8 but these days I vary between 5 and 7 depending on how I feel and the weather Cool Ah the confidence of youth Embarassed Sadly I've found that with age comes the fear of my own mortality Shocked
snow conditions
drawn from management speak:

1. unconsiciously incompetent;
2. consciously incompetent;
3. consciously competent;
4. unconsciously competent.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 18-05-05 12:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
poma, yep that sums me up Laughing
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
davidof,

I also wonder whether the park is a male / female thing?

I've heard there are quite a few "filles" who are prepared to "faire le pipe" in France.
snow report
Any git who can ski (hard) breakable crust should be made to ski on 210cm straight skis. And if they can still do it, then they should be made to wear day glo all in ones so that the rest of us can feel superior in at least one way.

Apart from that I don't think Park stuff really counts for grading, a lot of good skiers never use them.

I think the ability to recover counts for a lot. A lot of good skiers ski in control but never push it. Expert skiers can ski pretty much everything because they have pushed it and consequently have a far better chance of recovering a situation when they inevitably get caught out by a patch of ice, variable snow conditions etc.
snow conditions
D G Orf, Slikedges - Level 3 - Can Cope on reds but Uncontrolled ?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-05-05 13:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
davidof, NehNeh rolling eyes wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, I'm alway ready for extra assistance in that area so if you come across any ladies prepared to show off their talents I would think seriously about paying for expert demonstrations of the art... Madeye-Smiley Cool

[edit] Perhaps we should continue this discussion under the Ski Vices thread over in "Equipment"...
snow conditions
davidof, Now whose going to admit to spending all their time in a half-pipe?

mesk1, Dunno. We're making this up as we go along and we're all so confused we no longer know if level 3 means advanced beginner or early advanced!
snow report
At what level can you light a fag and answer your mobile whilst on a drag lift?
snow conditions
Only Italian instructors can do that, in fact, I think it's mandatory.
ski holidays
No - ESF ones can too! (But I do think you have to be instructor level Laughing )
ski holidays
How do you know he wasn't Italian?
snow report
maggi wrote:
At what level can you light a fag and answer your mobile whilst on a drag lift?

About 1600m - any higher, you'll be above the tree-line and your mobile won't cut out, forcing you to speak to the plonker from work who rang you on holiday. Oh, and the wind would blow all the smoke away before you got the chance to savour it. Shocked
snow report
Because he spoke French? (OK I don't.) But it still ought to be in one of the levels.

Edit - Slikedges Laughing
snow report
maggi, French instructors would be completely humiliated if they were seen touching their towbar at any point during the ride.

Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
PG, I'm certainly careful not to be seen touching my towbar at any point during a ride Laughing
snow report
I saw a French instructor on a mobile drop his sticks a couple of months ago, on an easy blue drag. He was being so cool he could hardly stand up. You should have seen the faces on the kids coming up behind, who picked them up for him!
latest report
I saw a French instructor ski backwards through a ski lift gate, in the dark, in the slush, dressed only in boots,skis, and boxers doing about 30 mph. Me and my mate turned and stared at each other with dropped jaws. Extremely impressive and undoubtably cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy