Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yayyyy! I'm going to see Father Christmas..... advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Should I write a letter in advance? Is there any etiquette for asking for everything politely? Should I wear a helmet if I'm going to sit on his knee? Toofy Grin

OK, so for some strange reason my non-skiing family (Mother, Father, Sister and Nephew) have suddenly decided to go to Levi on one of these 'visit Father Xmas' trips. 4 days, B&B accommodation, snow suits and boots, snowmobile/reindeer/husky rides, Arctic Circle Ceremony (?! Shocked ), meeting Santa and tandem skiing all included. Of course, when asked if I wanted to tag along all I heard was the 'skiing' bit and signed up straight away. Little Angel

So, in addition to the above Madeye-Smiley does anybody have any experience of these trips? Any advice?

Also, my Dad has parkinsons so is a little wobbly on his pins. He generally uses a combination of a stick, a frame and a wheelchair depending on what kind of day he is having. Obviously we can't take them all and I'm not sure quite how useful each would be in the snow/ice etc. Any input or suggestions on this would be particularly welcome.

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schuss in Boots, errrm... you know this whole Father Christmas thing? Well, time to let you into a little secret.................

Sounds like fun. Cup o' coffee is a fiver I'm told.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schuss in Boots, just dont sit on his sack
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Should I wear a helmet if I'm going to sit on his knee? Toofy Grin

Well you can always talk about the first thing that comes up. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a stick, a frame and a wheelchair depending on what kind of day he is having. Obviously we can't take them all and I'm not sure quite how useful each would be in the snow/ice etc.

My mum had balance problems - which varied in intensity - and came with us on a snowy holiday. She was very, very, scared of the slippery surfaces. I would think a stick would be useless in terms of providing a reliable thing for him to lean on - and the extra slipperiness might make him a lot more in need of support than usual. My mum had a rollator walker - on wheels - which she could lean on when walking, if she wasn't too tired. A frame is nothing like as manoevrable, I suppose, if it keeps having to be lifted up and plonked down.

I think I'd go for the chair, which also gives you more independence at the airport, not reliant on the assistance service, and less of a problem if there are crowds/queues/delays.

Maybe check with the folk at Santa's Grotto about how wheelchair friendly their place is. He could take his stick as well, for moving around indoors and on firm surfaces?

Say hello to Santa for me. And mind what Shimmy Alcott says about not sitting on his sack.

We were late for a flight at Geneva - my mother was hurtled through the airport at breakneck speed, in from the French side (where we had left three hire cars) and through to international, with three kitbags piled up on her lap. We caught the plane, thanks to me running through an illegal route and telling easyJet there were ten people on their way, one of them disabled.... It was a bit of a nightmare really, but we caught the flight. It took her weeks to recover.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I knew you lot wouldn't let me down Laughing Laughing Laughing

pam w, That sounds like sensible advice, thanks. Yes, Dad does have one of those rollator thingies and I thought with the small wheels it wouldn't be much use in the snow, although it does have an inbuilt seat which he finds quite useful for the odd rest every now and then.

Has anyone ever been to Levi? All I know is it's likely to be very cold.... and dark. Confused

And what on earth is tandem skiing? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots, Serious mode on:
I don't know what the downhill skiing will be like there, but I would imagine the cross-country skiing would be very good. If you've not tried cross-country skiing before it might be a good opportunity to give it a go (possibly with your sister and nephew)? Madeye-Smiley
Serious mode off.

Tandem skiing

Of course this
tandem tele is much better. wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 17-11-10 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Schuss in Boots, what a fantastic sounding trip. what's on your xmas list then? wink

not info for levi, but we went to tromsø (arctic circle norway) early in last december. it was incredibly cold outside of the city in the evenings when we did the husky trips/seeking the northern lights journeys.

however, the companies that do these things lend your party the boiler suits and boots you need so you don't freeze your @rses off.

enjoy the trip. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mega Jealous Schuss in Boots,

Had a little daughter 7 months ago (well my wife did - I just watched and winced!) and we started a savings account a few months ago for a trip like the one you describe above. The plan being in a few years time, she'll understand the excitement of father christmas and we'll have the funds to be able to go.....reality is we just want to go and see father christmas and etc and the little one will be stuck with two oversized kids. Very Happy

Not having been, can't offer any advice but am sure you'll have an awesome time
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the coldness is an argument for a wheel chair maybe - easier to really bundle up and keep warm. Yes, a rollator is hopeless if it's a bit snowy - or icy, for that matter. A wheelchair will be very difficult too - but at least the effort falls to someone else to make.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The top suggestion for Levi: minttu kaakao. Powerfully awesome stuff - it'll warm your ccockles! The downhill skiing is closer to Scotland than the Alps but as an overall experience Lapland is fantastic. Similar to visiting the moon (I imagine). Prepare for -30 (+windchill!) to be on the safe side and then hopefully it will be warmer than you expected. And beware of Hulluporo...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, was there about five years ago ,february time .Temperature went down to -26oc Razz will stick to anything!. the air is very dry so a face mask will help especially on the t-bars they had then! even eyelashes froze up!.
skidoos are great fun ,fast and bumpy. and as Alastair Pink says, try cross country !a lot harder going up hill than they make it look on telly!! we also tried the snow-shoeing they did there which was fun ,but might be too much to fit in in just four days.
With regards to your father ,good snow shoes and two cross country poles , and a walking frame for you!! Twisted Evil
and you might want to sit down before ordering a bombardino there!! as per above beer was a fiver back then!!!.

have a great time and post some pictures of you on santas knee!!! and one of when you get off Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What vman said. It sounds brill, even for big kids Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Tandem skiing

Oh for goodness sake, this girl has enough difficulty on her own... Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Michelle, Laughing Laughing Laughing On the other hand, if it's two people with one ski each, she has practised skiing on one ski...
latest report
Alastair Pink, Good grief Shocked Shocked I do hope they've got good insurance then.... Michelle does have a point Toofy Grin She deserves a NehNeh but she still has a point. Laughing

vman, Jerry, Thank you. I hear you - this is one big kid who is really looking forward to it... although the official story is obviously that I'm going for the skiing.... wink Little Angel

sherlock235, skoli, bfg, Useful info thanks. Will obviously need to take double the cash and underclothes that I was planning on then. Madeye-Smiley Not sure about this cross county stuff though... uphill under your own steam?! Confused Isn't that what they invented lifts for? wink

Dare I ask.... minttu kaakao? (I'm going to hazard a guess at mint chocolate something?) but I daren't even guess at Hulluporo Puzzled
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Michelle, Laughing Laughing Laughing On the other hand, if it's two people with one ski each, she has practised skiing on one ski...

...... she doesn't get very far but she's been practising. Toofy Grin

Hurtle, NehNeh for you too.

(gosh I'm soooo getting into this being a kid lark) wink
snow report

I had a short ski holiday in Levi (Feb 2006) and enjoyed it very much. It will be cold and dark (though the slopes are floodlit all day). I too think that a wheelchair would be best for getting around. The pavements are kept well clear (except, I suppose, when it's snowing hard). Here's a picture of the town ...

The (downhill) skiing is all on the one hill, with runs down each side, mostly of an intermediate nature. There is also the slope where the FIS slaloms were held last weekend ...

If you look in the snowMediazone and search for Levi, you'll find more photos from me and various others. Enjoy yourself!
ski holidays
espri, Many thanks, some lovely photos above. Good tip re: the Media Zone, I've had a peek and there's some great photos there too. Thanks also for the info, especially about the pavements etc. That's a few votes for the wheelchair now, so that seems to be the way to go. I'm looking forward to it! Very Happy
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, We were there last Dec - there should be a good thread or two with pics in for you to read - people were really helpful to me when I enquired. The light just before Christmas was amazing - that blue twilight was beautiful. But the cold was something else - husband got chilblains tho we stopped after every 45 mins or so when skiing (I have boot heaters...). We decided against the husky/skidoo rides as we both feel the cold and weren't convinced the arctic suits would be enough over even thick clothing at -25C plus windchill from speed of travel. I can cope with skiing at -18C and -25C with ski boot heaters but when the batteries run down I stop pretty soon. But we loved the trip and are hoping to go back to Levi in April if possible.
ski holidays
Late starter, Many thanks, that's an excellent thread with some really useful info in. Thanks for pointing it out. I had done a search for Levi, but hadn't found it for some reason - added your name in and it came straight up! Glad you had a good time, have to admit to getting the teensiest bit excited now. Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
snow report
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Dammit... I'd almost got to the point of laminating my list too.... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, snowHead Laughing now that is funny
snow report
Schuss in Boots, I think he had an exit Claus. wink
snow conditions
geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing Where on earth do you get all these from?! Laughing
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, A warped mind. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee, more like Christmas crackers Laughing
ski holidays
Sorry it's a bit late (hectic xmas, followed by hectic start to the year) rolling eyes but I wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice on this thread. In particular pam w for the very valuable - and very accurate - advice regarding the wheelchair. On the back of this, we did take one with us and we have never been so grateful for anything, it was brilliant and I doubt we could have managed without it. As espri mentioned, the pavements and paths are kept very clear and flat, so pushing the chair on them was relatively easy. We even managed to get Dad to enjoy the 'handbrake turns' we got in on the corners. Laughing The temperature varied between a toasty -14 and a rather chilly -26 but with the air so dry it was difficult to tell the difference. My eyelashes didn't freeze but I have to say it was a somewhat 'interesting' experience to have the [cough] moisture in your nostrils freeze as you were breathing... Shocked

We had a totally amazing time - those of you who mentioned saving up for a similar trip, all I can say is DO IT, you won't regret the money spent. It was magical; the half-light, the events that were laid on, the food, the accomodation, the friendly and helpful locals, the transport - you name it, I couldn't fault it. Even the little bit of skiing I managed to squeeze in was fantastic with the perfectly groomed pistes and the light powder snow was just fab. Mum said that it was just like walking around in a xmas card all the time - and that's probably the best description I could give. Very Happy

We travelled with Monarch/Cosmos and I have to give a massive and grateful thumbs up to the staff in resort for putting so much into every aspect of the trip and in particular the thought and effort they put into providing solutions for getting Dad around - his own personal skidoo trailer for transporting him from the coach to all the parts of the activity centre, if you please. Cool Nothing was too much trouble for them.

In summary, a fantastic trip, a wonderful memory for the family to savour and made all the more so by heeding the advice of those who posted in this thread - thank you all. Very Happy
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
We even managed to get Dad to enjoy the 'handbrake turns' we got in on the corners. Laughing

How many Lapps did you do ? Toofy Grin

Sounds wonderful, glad you had a brilliant time. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

How many Lapps did you do ?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Glad it was such a success, Schuss in Boots, thanks for the report.
snow conditions
Glad it all worked out so well. After my visit, I must admit that I wondered why people (particularly skiing beginners) would go to Levi where the conditions are extreme (I thought the cold could be unpleasant, particularly for learners). But it is different and special. And obviously enjoyable. And there's certainly plenty to do.
snow report
Schuss in Boots, Missed this thread Embarassed Sounds like you all had a fab trip

The weekend before last 10 of us went to do a Northern lights trip to Davvi Arctic Lodge http://www.davvihotel.com/ on the Finland/Sweden border, Mostly bought as surprise xmas presents as we are all a bit to old/big to sit on santa's knee so we went post the xmas rush. All the same sort of activities, which were such good fun.

I would have to agree that it was well worth the money, and would highly recommend it. I imagine if you have kids who want to meet santa that they would absolutely have the time of their lives.

We only managed to see the northern lights as we took of from Tromso, the rest of the time it was snowing which meant on average it was a balmy -10 so it wasn't too cold for all the outside stuff. They only had cross country skiing on offer and we didn't manage to fit any in! Embarassed It just means we have to go back to Lapland sometime and try to see the lights again.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

They only had cross country skiing on offer and we didn't manage to fit any in!

Laughing for shame, Nells!
snow report
Only just noticed this thread Embarassed . Just thought I'd drop in to say for walking with crutches on snow we've found the combination of Yaktrax and these pretty secure. First saw them last time I went skiing (in Levi as it happens) but have recommended them to people in the UK now who've used them with success. They/you can just flick down the spike to adapt for outdoors and flick up for indoors.
(no connection to either company)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy