Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Rum - Trying to trace the name?

Poster: A snowHead
When we were in Soll this year we came across bottles of Rum in the local supermarket, which was in different alcohol strengths. It tasted like Cherry Brandy rather than rum (lovely in a hot chocolate) and was very cheap. We don't know if it was actually made in Austria, and although I have come across lots of info about Stroh (which is) I don't think it was this because the shape of the bottle was not like a flask, more of a traditional wine bottle shape. Just wondered if anyone knew what it was because I'd love to buy it here if I could.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was it this ?

Mauntner is another Austrian brand rum although not as well known as Stroh and they even do a cherry rum ("Kirsch" in German)

http://www.topspirit.at/index.php?page=sortiment/spirituosen/6/37

http://www.austriangrocery.com/de/wein-spirituosen-bier/rum_2/mautner_inlaender_kirsch_rum_38_07_l

If not a search for "Inländer Rum" = native/home produced Rum might bring up something you will recognise.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a bottle of Stroh 60 at home. Much to the annoyance of my guests last Christmas, I think they were all ill at some point during the night/the following morning.

Am I right in thinking you're not allowed to fly with Stroh 80 as it's classed as a combustible/explosive?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite,

Yes you can take it on board with you as long as you drink it before boarding. Wink
In your suitcase it should be fine but not in hand luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, sounds like a standard penny markt Inländer Kirsch...

http://www.google.at/images?q=Inl%C3%A4nder+Kirsch&um=1&hl=de&rlz=1R2RNWN_enAT338&tbs=isch:1&ei=0vvjTKPAJMeBOueZoJIB&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

tell you what though.... stay at my gaff and you can have a bottle for free wink wink (not you DB, )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flangesax, I knew you clever people would have the answer, so is 'Inlander' the type and Felser and Spitz the producer ? (as there seems to be many 'Inlanders' looking at the google images) It was certainly one that had big numbers on the label, because I remember we were trying to work out what they represented!

hammerite, couldn't have been that then, this was almost like fortified wine, very easy to drink, which for someone like me who doesn't like alcohol normally that's a rare experience Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think it must be the Felser one as the label was red and I can see it's sold by Spar for EUR 4.99 and it must have been the Felser Inländer Kirsch-Rum because it did taste of cherries. Can't read the Interspar website so don't know if you can have it delivered to the UK !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, no... you won't be able to get it delivered Sad

Sounds a bit of a strange description as a fortified wine though... but the percentage is only mid 20's I think.

I just tried to google any UK suppliers.. and was amazed that the 4th listed result was this very thread!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.austriangrocery.com/en/wine-spirits-beer/rum_2/mautner_inlaender_cherry_rum_38_07_l

dunno how much postage is though...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax, delivery doubles the cost, but there are no restictions for EU so it appears it can be done. And yes...I found this thread too, wish my wesbites performed as well!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite, absolutely correct, I had a bottle confiscated from my checked luggage last year at Munich Airport. Was probably just bad luck that my bag was screened and I didn't know at the time that it wasn't allowed.

If you want the 80 you'll have to buy it online.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Switzerland my Swiss friends offered me the following concoction:

Large teaspoon of sugar, large tot of Stroh 80, set fire to same.

When flames nearly gone top up with black tea

Result: Uuurrggghhh..........tasted like sweet sickly sore throat medicine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj, You mean hand luggage I assume? The 100 mil rule applies, you can only take liquids of more than 100 mls when bought in duty free after security checks, and sealed in their bags.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No I don't think robboj, does mean that sharon1953, on the back of the bottle of Stroh 80 there is a sign with a plane and a cross through it.

Quote:
Burstein said: "An important market for us are duty free shops where we offer Stroh rum with 60% per cent alcohol.

"It is prohibited to bring the 80% rum on an airplane because it burns like tinder and thus could be used to blow up a plane.
taken from here http://www.austriantimes.at/news/Business/2010-06-08/24078/Stroh_shows_the_spirit_of_Austria
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

on the back of the bottle of Stroh 80 there is a sign with a plane and a cross through it.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Which explains why you don't ever see it at duty free/tax free rolling eyes Shocked NehNeh

It truly can strip enamel from teeth... Twisted Evil
snow report
Yes, read lots of negative reports about Stroh, sounds dreadful stuff, but surely most spirits would make good explosives!
ski holidays
Stroh 80 is powerful stuff. Take a mouth full of Stroh 80, spit it out as a spray through a naked flame and you become a human flamethrower!
This is obviously somewhat dangerous and any residue on your lips will burn off a layer of skin, but it is great fun and very spectacular!
This 'party-piece' doesn't work with the many other spirits I've attempted it with. Stroh 80 is liquid rocket fuel and tastes awful if you just use it for drinking!
snow report
flangesax wrote:
tell you what though.... stay at my gaff and you can have a bottle for free wink wink (not you DB, )

Hey, what's with favouritism? Does that mean I don't get a bottle or I'm not welcome or both. Toofy Grin

sharon1953

The very first ski holiday I went on a chalet worker had burnt the inside of his stomach in a Stroh drinking contest. After that he couldn't even stand the smell of it let alone drink it.

"Inländer" just means home produced. Spitz and Mautern are place names in the Wachau wine region of Austria. Basically the farmers/wine makers also produce a variety of other things from their fruit (e.g. Schnapps, Jam, Brandy etc). Felser looks to be from Salzburg http://www.oesterreichmarkt.de/category/schnaps/ and it's likely to be a place or family / company name.

Looks like there's a serious gap in the Eccles Liquor market, this time next year you could be selling more alcohol than Makro. Wink
snow report
DB, hmmmm haven't decided yet....
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
DB, hmmmm haven't decided yet....

Business must be good if you can turn down a large ski touring group. Wink
snow report
Speaking of setting fire to things, am I the only fan of Hexengeist o this forum? wink
ski holidays
DB, If there is one thing Eccles can do without, it's more alcohol !!!
snow conditions
sharon1953 wrote:
DB, If there is one thing Eccles can do without, it's more alcohol !!!

I know, I used to work there. Forget Hash cakes, Stroh 80 rum would go down a bomb in Eccles cakes. Wink
latest report
DB, We never knew Eccles existed until we moved to Monton, it's like visting a UK version of the 1972 film Deliverance ! Work - Eccles is an Oxymoron, you had a narrow escape wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy