Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which pretty skis please? - SORTED

Poster: A snowHead
Ok - was thinking I would get some second hand skis, but in my search have come across some new ones that I'm tempted by. I virtually always ski on piste, mostly reds but I do ski fast and I love ungroomed pistes and mogul fields. All this ski tech talk is new to me. I'm 10 1/2 stone, 5"5'.

I like these:

http://www.freetime1.co.uk/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1&ModelID=2071

and these

http://k2skis.com/skis/twin-tips/missconduct

anyone got any opinions? I can get them both for roughly the same price <£300

The Salomons are 2009/2010 season design, the K2's are this seasons. Am I right in thinking the Salomon is the better ski, but cheaper as it's last years design?

I really am pretty clueless on this stuff so need all the help I can get wink

I'm thinking roughly 160 length, 80 or a bit under underfoot.

TIA

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-11-10 1:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My sister has and loves the Miss Conducts, for mainly reasonably fast on piste and dabbling with the off. She's probably at the better end of the average Brit skier (probs around 14 weeks skiing or so), although doesn't quite carve cleanly yet. Not sure how much that helps, but there you go lol.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, OK so I'm not particularly technical when it comes to skis either but I do know the two you have posted are very different. The Salomons are more piste-orientated (and yes I think they have been replaced this season with very attractive purple 'Select Touch' skis). The K2s I think are more 'park/powder' orientated. Personally, I'm not keen on the park/piste type skis, they don't turn so easily and I like my short radius turns, they don't cope so well with icy patches/hardpack and they don't fit in the racks on bubble lifts. But they do look undeniably pretty. I think there is a danger of buying skis mainly on looks and getting something totally unsuitable for the sort of skiing you enjoy.

Is there a chance you could go to a demo session at one of the snowdomes? That way you could try loads of different skis and then if on a budget buy second hand or last year's versions of the ones you enjoy? That's precisely what I did. And I ended up with skis that match the colourways of my boots. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://lineskis.com/skis/shadow

If your main criterion is 'pretty'. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The "pretty" ski thing is mostly in jest Cool though both the skis I have shortlisted for the mo are very pretty, price and performance came first.

queen bodecia, I did do a demo session in a fridge (with you I think) and I didnt really get much from it. If I was going to demo skis then I would want to do it while on holiday but, for various reasons that is not going to be practical and I think I can do it cheaper this way. Though I almost always ski on the piste (just as I dont want to take any un-necessary risks being a Mum and all) I will ski anything - knee deep powder when I can get it and moguls. I think this is why I am struggling between the two.

I've always skid on rental skis (about 14 weeks) and I've never felt uncomfortable with a pair of skis they've given me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

I'm 10 1/2 stone, 5"5'.

Laughing I thought you said 5ft 6in and 8 stone wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, did you not spot the tiny type? wink Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
The "pretty" ski thing is mostly in jest Cool

I thought that too when you said a Cayenne was a good looking car. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, Laughing you must be gutted then that I think you're uber gorgeous Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
going by the specs, the Salomon is going to be a faster, quicker turning ski on piste and not so capable of it. the k2 may well be almost as quick (as quite often it's down to the skier and not the skis) but will be a fair bit more forgiving in deeper, softer snow and in the bumps as well.

I have thought long and hard about this for you and come up with the answer:

Buy both Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Spyderman, Laughing you must be gutted then that I think you're uber gorgeous Toofy Grin

Pretty standard reaction really. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott, I couldn't remember if you were at any of the demo sessions I went to, all a bit of a blur. I found them to be a real eye opener but I've always known within a matter of minutes whether I like skis or not. I always thought it purely down to edge sharpness and preparation but I discovered that width, sidecut, rigidity, weight, etc. all make different skis perform very differently. It soon became apparent that I far preferred ladies skis to mens (I'm guessing that's a weight thing) and the very long and/or wide skis were not for me. I even tried some Storm Stormforce Pro skis at one of the demo sessions and couldn't turn on them at all. Basically I only ski on piste and I like to turn. Lots. The steeper it gets the more I turn to keep my speed down. I don't like to go too fast. I don't mind moguls but I don't ever ski off piste and don't intend to.

We're all different and by the sounds of it you have different requirements from a ski to me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Pretty standard reaction really. Toofy Grin

rolling eyes rolling eyes Ski instructors
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, I went to a ski test and tried some Salomon Aeromax's http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52694#1256387. Pretty they might not be, but ones I tried were a classy black/blue colour scheme. I don't know what you are looking for in a ski, but they might fit the bill.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, remembered later the ski test was at Milton Keynes with another bunch of SH
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, If you are planning on staying on piste out of those two I would take the Salomon ones. I'd want to demo something with a rocker before considering buying the K2's.
I have got a pair of Line Shadows (08/09) and I absolutely love them. They are stable at speed on piste and light and easy to turn. Wide enough underfoot to cope well with ungroomed pistes and twin tips to practise switch (ha ha ha) and play on the baby jumps in the park. (Plus they are pretty)
snow report
Twin Tips are always fun wink
snow report
I would feel safe with the Salomon but maybe the K2's would be best for moving forwards?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Shimmy Alcott, nah, no point in buying twins unless you intend to move backwards. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
brian, Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, it's hard to say which - my wife did some time on a pair of Salomon's similar to those you mention they were ok, but she stepped up when she took to using my SL (retail) race ski's.

Last season I swapped her old ski's out for a pair of Salomon 'Lady' twin tips, and they seem to work really well for her, especially off piste. Looking back at our end of season photo's from our Scottish trip, her skiing had really changed - and that's mostly to do with improved confidence, some of which will have come from the ski's. My only concern is that they may be a little soft.

based on your "I love ungroomed pistes and mogul fields" an 'all mountain twin' may do the job for you.

PS. I only got the "Lady" jobs as they looked nice and I could get them cheap Embarassed
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, I think I am leaning towards the K2
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Just asked my ski instructor bf for his advice and whether a ski with a rocker really makes that much difference on piste. His answer:
If you're going to ski off-piste or do freestyle then they are ok but not so great on piste because there is less contact with the snow (they are built to lift you out of the powder) and might have ski wobble because of the lack of contact on piste.(He does LOADS of off-piste skiing and he isn't going for skis with rockers)

If you haven't skied a ski with a rocker before my advice would be definitely try before you buy. I personally feel that my skiing improved with my slightly wider all-mountain/freestyle skis. I felt more stable at speeds and they don't catch edges like I used to with carving skis. I got mine delivered to France from America cause it was cheaper than buying them in the UK and having them shipped over. Unless you are a complete geek then does having this years topsheet really matter? Just means you have to buy new ones again next year

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
jezzy, no not bothered about this years skis at all - was even going to go second hand. The Salomons are last years design I think. Maybe the Salomons are for me after reading your OH opinion.

Feel free to recommend any websites for good deals wink
snow conditions
My daughter has a pair of Dynastar She's Trouble which are fairly similar to the Misconducts I think. She loves them, they are great on piste and so much better off piste than her last skis.
ski holidays
jezzy, good comments about the 'rocker'. I don't see the point unless you are after a very focus ski.

Here's a short film exploring the pro's and con's wink

http://youtube.com/v/uGmPg6ahGtU
snow report
Yeah but all K2 skis have rocker this year to some extent which may suggest it's more of a marketing thing than anything you would actually notice ( I haven't skied this years K2 skis so it may also be the best thing ever). What about the MissDemeanor, I think the MissConduct is more of a park ski so might be a bit soft.

If you've tried some skis in a snowdome and not noticed the difference and never been that unhappy with what you've hired then I wouldn't worry to much, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to buy something you hated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Darn it! my evil plan to lure you to my secret den in a hollowed out volcano has been thwarted Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy