Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie-help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
recently learned to ski in my dotage and totally hooked. I want to get in as much slope time as poss before my old bones give out, so I'm looking at summer skiing. I've seen the europe thread but not sure about conditions-I'll be on the easy stuff but I'll be with a boarder who needs a serious challenge freeride or the park. I've been thinking about a few weeks in chile/ argentina or new zealand. Any experience of resots there? places to stay? views, experiences?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mc8, welcome to SnowHeads, can't help I'm afraid, other than to say the glacier at Les Deux-Alpes has a snow-park, and is open from mid-June to end of August. Others may have been to Southern Hemisphere though, and more of us will be around during the week.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-05-05 16:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well as a starting point try Natives' guide to the Southern Hemisphere hopefully have some useful links
http://www.natives.co.uk/downunder/index.htm
Welcome to SnowHeads too
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mc8, Like Helen Beaumont, I can only speak about Europe, but our snowpark is home to a lot of pro riders training in the summer, and has enough variety and space (including 2 half pipes and one of the biggest big airs I've ever seen + lots of rails etc.) to cater for everyone. The main part of the glacier is fairly innocuous, so should suit you.

Although I dislike Tignes itself, I can also say that when we were there a couple of weeks ago they were starting to build the snowpark on the glacier and the space allotted to it was equally impressive.

I should think that any resort worth it's salt nowadays has a fairly extensive snowpark.

If you want more info on here, PM me and I'll go into more detail. You can also look on www.les2alpes.com for more info.

ps: welcome to snowheads snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mc8, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've skied in New Zealand (Coronet Peak - one day!!). The best place to base yourself there is Queenstown (South Island). From there, you have easy access to several ski areas. The Park stuff is big down under, so that shouldn't be a problem for your friend, and I didn't find the terrain there particularly difficult (Blues/Reds)...although I did go at the end of the season, so I don't know how much had already shut.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mc8, I spent a season in NZ based a Whakapapa on the north island but I also ski Turao, Treble Cone & Cardrona.

I am heading down to Treble Cone this winter & I can highly reccomend it. Wanaka & Queenstown are two of my favourite places in the world. My advise would be to hire a camper van & just tour all the different areas & club fields on the south Island.

Have a look at www.snow.co.nz It has all the ski areas & club fields on there. It is that it is totally different from europe. Most areas & feild lie at the end of a dirt track that wind up the side of a mountain for 6Ks, some only have one or two lifts but the terrain is awsome. There is a place called snow park just opposite cardrona halfway between Wanaka & Queenstown that is just that, one big snowpark. Lots of international riders head down there.

You will find stuff to challange yourself for sure. Just look at the new terrain they are opening up at Treble Cone. Typical NZ though, put the lift in to get up but if you want to ski the whole lot you've got to hike out. Worth it though.

NZ is one of the most stunning counties in the world. Go, go now!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mc8, welcome to snowheads.

Not meaning to be rude but you describe yourself as skiing in your "dotage" - if you really are OAP are you prepared to spend literally a weekend travelling at each end of your holiday to get to the snow? If so then NZ/Argentina is a goer and - as you mentioned - you will need quite literally a few weeks in your country of choice if only to leave enough time to both recover from the jet lag and have enough quality time on the snow. If you decide on NZ then also do a search on snowheads (I'm from there originally - some months back I posted a massively detailed response, to Moosepig I think, about sking in NZ).

However bear in mind that european glacier skiing in summer is absolutely fine - do a search on this site as there's already a number of threads outlining the resorts that do it, and the details.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy