Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which one is stiffest...

Poster: A snowHead
I have to choose between HEAD Raptor 150 ( 2009 ), new TECNICA Diablo Inferno 150 or NORDICA WC 150. Are there any difference in stiffness between these boots ? If they vary in stiffness, how to rate them, from stiffest to softest.
I have to buy on line and have no chanse to test, am looking for stiffest one.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dare one ask why - best shell fit/bootfitter n all that?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
6'10''/210 lbs
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, maybe because the OP is outside of the UK? They might be in the middle of nowhere, but that still shouldn't prevent buying in resort I guess Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Lets assume its a he or a total Amazonian. He's buying race spec boots which usually need a fair degree of modding so either he's got a bootfitter lined up, in which case they'd have answered the question or its a try and fit boots by the internet. Or a third scenario which is why I asked.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MG, why do you want the stiffest one? I know why my wife does, but it's purple.

6'10''/210 lbs is no answer as I have just come off the Nordica 150 and I'm 5'6" and 140lbs...

Anyway, according to those who know, 150 is 150. More importantly, again according to those who know, the Head and Nordica are identical and the Tecnica is really very different.

Why not just go visit a good bootfitter?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, fatbob was being nice. Basically the OP s a moron, buying the 'stiffest' of three boots (which should all be identical in 'stiffness' anyway) rather than which one actually fits, kinda gives it away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i'm inclined to agree with parlor, but then the OP is apparently six foot ten and two hundred and ten pounds so i'd say he's actually a very nice man Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fastandicy, He was only 5'4" back in January.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, that's the problem. Kids these days are growing up so quickly Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He just has a larger customer this time, assuming he still has the same part time job.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor wrote:
Basically the OP s a moron, buying the 'stiffest' of three boots (which should all be identical in 'stiffness' anyway) rather than which one actually fits, kinda gives it away.

I really love your attitude. Good boot fitter is only way to go, and flex index is standard thing. rolling eyes How many different boots did you actually see, and how many REAL boot fitters did you actually see? With real, I don't mean, I can tell you what is your right size boot, "fitters", but those who know what they are doing... especially when it comes to race boots.
For race boots, you buy right size and you go from there on. It's as simple as that. And for this, you can easily buy on-line. There's no race boot which would fit out of store/factory. You need a whole lot of work for real race boot to fit, and then it really doesn't matter if it takes another hour more or less to fit them properly. End of discussion.
When it comes to flex, 150 is not 150. 150 is not 150 even inside of same company, and even less between different companies. So no, these 3 boots are far from identical when it comes to stiffness.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
fastandicy, He was only 5'4" back in January.

YES I am still 5'4" but didn't say I'd like to buy boots for me - I need info from first hand, from users.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MG, sounds like your intentions are entirely honorable by trying to give your clients the best service you can... also sounds like you have a higher standard of customer care than the company you actually work for and are making money for.

also sounds like you could do with moving to the mountains and getting a job as a "junior" boot fitter and learning the trade properly rather than struggling by where you are. you sound like you have the enthusiasm for it...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
primoz, I have skied in my race boots with no modifications at all with a 5mm fit and only have had a couple of spots blown out now. I would still prefer to have the work on them done by somebody who knows what they are doing

I know somebody with a pair of Head Raptor 150 boots that were twisted so badly while being stretched that they barely fit into the bindings.
snow report
Quote:

When it comes to flex, 150 is not 150. 150 is not 150 even inside of same company, and even less between different companies. So no, these 3 boots are far from identical when it comes to stiffness.

Toofy Grin
snow report
rjs wrote:
I have skied in my race boots with no modifications at all

Personally I never could. At least not with real race boots (no matter what someone says, "race boots" you get in (normal) stores, are nowhere near real race boots). But I believe someone might have so uniform foot, that it fits straight into particular boot without any modifications. Rest of us, don't have this luck. But no matter what, doing some fitting on your boot is not really rocket science. But then again... if someone has problems waxing his own skis already, then I agree... let's rather leave boot fitting to someone else Wink
PS: I have no idea what's history with OP, but based just on this question is a bit weird to pronounce him as moron, especially with argument given in "explanation" why he is suppose to be moron.
snow report
primoz, in days of yore yes.

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

Toofy Grin

Moron might have been a bit harsh Wink but fatbob had been nice already and Megamum was getting things mixed up.
snow report
shoogly wrote:
MG, sounds like your intentions are entirely honorable by trying to give your clients the best service you can... also sounds like you have a higher standard of customer care than the company you actually work for and are making money for.

also sounds like you could do with moving to the mountains and getting a job as a "junior" boot fitter and learning the trade properly rather than struggling by where you are. you sound like you have the enthusiasm for it...

You are not far from truth... I have a V.I Client wink , we narrowed choice to Head, Nordica and new Tecnica Inferno ( all 95 mm last ) and I opt for Head Raptor. No fitters here in our area so I will have to do all fitting job, if necesary. I grinded a few shells so far and my customers are pretty satisfied.
Yes I am enthusiast and I love the sport...
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

Toofy Grin

Comment Steve, please. Here is your (?) tekst from 2007, I don't remember where I have it from but I am pretty sure it is yours, great info BTW, do you have " upgrade " to ?

...Ok, ski boot flex is a massive issue. Well everyone talks about it alot, so here we go. I'm not a scientist by any means but have been working with the manufacturers for a good few years.

Since 2004, i've been working with a commitee to standardise 'Boot' Properties.
We aimed to achieve a few goals:
Standardise; Flex ratings, tool dimensions and indications.
This means; the the same flex ratings for all brands, screw sizing(3mm and 5mm) and a common plasic thickness across the Forefoot(metatarsals).

First we agreed the sizing, 26.5 is the standard to which we test (all brands).
This enables us to work within a constant, there is only the Atomic B series that requires translation.
Second, we agreed a test to deturmine flex, or resistance( this is the science bit, help needed!)
Third, we agreed to standardise parts(tools), for replacement parts.
Fourth, we set a date.

As of 2006 each manufacturer conforms to these ratings for at least 85% of their range.
It's still a bit soft, but in principal, every manufacturer agrees.

The flex test.

Every boot using BASF Poly-ether will warm the boot to 22 degrees c. The boots will be closed, with liner, to the average(middle)position(teeth and micro adjustment), the boot will be flexed 30,000 times through 10 degrees(angle). We will measure the resistance in Kn expended and divide by 30,000. This will give us a resistance in Kn per flex and indicated by model.

ie, a Nordica Doberman 130 requires 130kn of force to flex the boot 10 degrees at 22 degrees Celcius. This is the same now for every brand. No exeption.

This is important, however the differece between this plastic at -15 and +15 is a factor of 5, therefore your 100Kn skiboot may have a resistance of 100kn in the shop but around 500kn at -15. therefore this descussion is worthless with your boot fitter without consideration of weight, height and spped.

Why 22 degrees c? Because that's the optimum temperature for this kind of plastic. The ski industry is tiny with regards to the types of plastic available. There are 22 pairs of Doberman in every Peugeot 206, the automotive industry is way more profitable!

Tooling is easy and will be phased in more slowly, 3mm and 5mm screws are simple and cheap, therefore supplies need to be expended before standards will be adheared. 2011.

Other plastics are used, be aware of this and it's more important than flex, given Poly-ester, Poly-ether, Poly-Propelyne and Pebax can change a huge amount given changes of temperature.

In conclusion, fit is everything, flex is too subjective, unless your bootfitter is a chemist...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy