Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kitzbuhel snow history question

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question for those in the know.

Our son is booked to go with the school to Khitzbuhel on the 4th of April 2011, looking at the snow history the snow is a little thin on the ground at that time of year. Seeing as it will be the best part of £800 for him to go I am starting to get concerned that this could be too much of a long shot.

Any one with any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Maccaa
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maccaa, well, I'm a big fan of Kitzbuhel but I wouldn't be going there that late. There will be snow up top so, if he's a beginner, there's no reason why he won't have a good experience but it would be fairly rare to have decent conditions down to the town at that time. Also, it depends where they mean by Kitzbuhel - could mean they are staying up at Pass Thurn, in which case the conditions should be better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, Thanks for your response, he will be 10 yrs old and will have done 9 weeks skiing, he can pretty much follow me down everything, even a little off piste with easiski this year, do you think he will still have some sort of a challenge? the school have not advised which area he will be in but I will check.

Thanks again

Maccaa
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maccaa, the school groups are usually based in one of the out-lying villages like Kirchberg, Aschau, Reith, Aurach and Jochberg. Beginning of April is not too late for the higher parts (such as around the Pass Thurn area) or for the upper areas of the main Kitz/Kirchberg/Jochberg region. The Pass Thurn lifts were open already in October and should be open again pretty soon at the weekends as they is over 30cms of snow up there, despite high temperaturesgenerally in the region this past weekend.

If they are travelling out by coach I bet they are in one of the villages listed above. accommodation in Kitzbühel itself is generally too expensive for school groups, so you get more value for money in one of the outer villages.

We often get good late season snowfall these days so the historic data is really only a guide at best.

wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, You are correct, they are traveling by coach so I am sure they will be in the upper areas as you suggest. I think based on your response and Bode Swiller,'s response its got to be worth him giving it ago. Fingers crossed.

Thanks both,

Maccaa
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maccaa, are they only just organising it? Shocked

That is really late for the organisation and getting all the monies in on time! Very hard on the pocket for the parents as well, just before Christmas.

When I organised school and club groups from the UK we gave parents and kids about 18 months notice so they could spread the cost. I had a very good book-keeper who never seemed to get it wrong either and always paid the right amount out at the right time! We used to have 3 or 4 trips per year to Europe and/or Scotland, so there was a chance for just about everyone to work/save/afford at least one sort of trip.

wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, no, to be fair it has been on the cards for some time (months) but full payment needs to be in by January, which, as you say is a bit of a shock at this time of year, just wanted to make sure we were doing the right thing, as if the resort weather was better suited to complete beginners, we could have passed our place on to someone who missed out.

I dont think our school could handle organising 3 or 4 trips a year....one seems difficult enough.

Maccaa Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
at that time of year? make sure he takes his tennis racket,and do they play cricket at his school,if so could come in handy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going to Kitzbuhel in mid-March so only a couple of weeks earlier than that. I went the same week in 2008 and the snow was great from the top of the Hahnenkamm upwards but there was no snow at resort level and just one run down to resort was being kept open with artificial snow (very strange experience skiing down a narrow strip of slushy brown 'snow' with green fields and cows grazing on either side). Obviously there are never any guarantees with snow conditions but according to the locals this was very normal for Kitzbuhel in March. The weather was quite warm, usually around 8-10º in resort during the day. It rained most nights but this was fresh snow higher up, however on the last day it rained at all levels during the day. We gave up skiing and went to the pub. Obviously not an option for your 10-year-old lad but there are lots of other things to do in Kitzbuhel if the snow/weather conditions aren't up to much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maccaa, if I know schools operators, this'll be "Kitzbuhel Area" rather than Kitzbuhel itself. That could well mean that they are staying in Mittersil or Hollersbach because accommodation is waaay cheaper there and then catching the gondola up from Hollersbach to the Pass Thurn area of the Kitzbuhel area. This would actually be a good thing because it makes it very easy to bus the kids along to the Kitzsteinhorn in Kaprun (where the conditions will be 100% better) if needs be. I think they need to furnish you with more info - either they really know what they are doing or they don't - if it's staying in the town of Kitzbuhel itself, they don't.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phillip33,maybe I can send him with some dominos, they would be easier to pack ( and loose ) than a racket or a bat Very Happy

queen bodecia, thanks for the info, this is my concern that it maybe an expensive walking holiday!!!, I know he will enjoy being with his friends, but it's a large expense , though of course none of us have any guarantees, easter seems so late this year and the prospect of little snow a little more likely.

Bode Swiller, I will check where it is that they are actually staying, as this will show if they have really thought about it. Though I did ask one of the teachers that is going as to his thoughts on the subject, but he was "quietly confident"!

Thanks again for the advice

Maccaa
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Though I did ask one of the teachers that is going as to his thoughts on the subject, but he was "quietly confident"!

maccaa, Laughing Hmmmmm. You could need ammo so try going to www.snow-forecast.com and subscribe (£3.95 for 1 month). This will allow you to access their snow depth records - select Austria/Kitzbuhel and you'll see it in black & white.

Maybe also consider this: http://www.holidaycheck.com/climate-wetter_Kitzbuehel-ebene_oid-id_7940.html - you'll see average high temp in april is +14c (March +9c) and on average 16/30 days rain. OK, that's at resort level but it doesn't bode well higher up either.

The teacher is being a tad optimistic and I think you need to quiz him hard.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuhel is only 800m. If your son is staying in Kitz, there is no way he will be able to ski to the resort unless they have a freak season. My view is that April is very late in the season for this area. The highest point in the local mountain range is a tiny bit over 2000m. They would do better to go to a higher resort. If it were me, I would not send my 10 year old son...he will be doing a lot of walking. In fact, the hotel I'm staying at right now doesn't sell rooms for the ski season in April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have never fancied Kitz for the reason of its low altitude. April sounds like it really is pushing it for skiing at a resort which sits at 800m and the highest lift is just over 2000m!!! Hope they get a big dump before he heads out there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder,

800m would be pretty dodgy in France due to the influence of milder atlantic air. But low altitude is no probs in Austria as it tends to be colder further east. I'm off to St Johann next week, village is only at 650m and it is -8C there now. Also runs are pasture, and it doesn't need as much snow to cover them.

I agree, conditions will not be at their best in April though, but same in many other places too.
snow report
johnboy, we loved St Johann, but did go in a bumper snow year... pop into Bunny's for some Apres! Smile
snow report
chrisg, Ricklovesthepowder, do not judge the eastern Alps by western Alps conditions! Add at least 300m to all the heights and you can start to compare. If you experience is mainly French based, you are not comparing like with like in terms of ground conditions nor the prevailing weather systems.

Easter this coming year is very late and it is unlikely that the snow down to the resort will either be there or if it is (and it is not unknown), it is likely to be very heavy and lumpy in the afternoons. That said, it could be a true description of ALL alpine resorts in the same period. The beginning of April is not usually a problem except in a very poor snow season, and so far that is the least that can be said for our area of the Alps.
ski holidays
For what it's worth, I have often skied Kitz in early April. Conditions up top have always been excellent, and the big plus is that there are not many people at that time of year. Skiing down to the valley is probably not on, but so what?
snow report
I had a pretty rotten experience in nearby Soll a few years back, when what snow there was was ultra hard packed right at the very top, and horrible slush/porridge for the rest that was open - and that was the first or second week in March.

It could well have been a freak season, but even though artificial snow technology has improved since, I'd say it was too warm for even the snow making machines to work overnight.
snow report
The worst snow conditions I have ever experienced have been in La Plagne (1,800-3200m) and Pas De La Casa (2,050-2,640m). Snow conditions are less about altitude and more about terrain, precipitation and temperatures.
ski holidays
I love austria and over the last few seasons ski there pretty exclusivley! I have had five trips this year... kitz a few times the last being in early april, when we had fresh snow on most days and 21 down to the village was great all the way! I guess i have been pretty lucky(temps were reaching 20 degrees the week before!) as i have always had great snow in austria skiing places like schladming, the ski welt ...all of which are of simular altitude......returned from zell last week my first visit there as good deals with crystal...snow was great and maintained by the minus 24 temps!! Off to schladming on the 15th and plan a few more trips as the season progresses. I have skiied italy, france switzerland, colarado and tahoe...had some great conditions.....but i love the fact that in austria one can stay up the mountain well after the lifts close and ski down on empty pistes at 7pm....having said that i have found slopes to be quite or very quite on all my trips. the way the season has started with good snow depths i will probably end up in kitzbuhel early april...even if there is no snow on lower slopes descent by lift is easy and buses are efficient....i hope all goes well for your son and he has a fab time!!
ski holidays
maybe i had better give Austria a go then, never fancied it due to the elevations if im being honest.
latest report
definately rick......i would try schladming...north facing slopes and although the elevation of 2000m as many have said the geography and terrain are important factors.....in april 2009 when in schladming we had lots of powder! plenty of scope with 4 mountains...and as i work in casualty....finance is a big factor ...and austria is pretty good compared with other european destinations
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, live and learn Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, sorry! I will give it a go.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder,

Give it a go, totally different to France, the locals are very pleasant and they love their Apres.

Worst conditions I ever encountered was in Jan 2004, Alpe D'Huez, where it rained soild for 3 days upto 2800m
ski holidays
Very interesting reading this post about schools going on Easter breaks to low lying Austrian resorts. My brother went on a school trip to Soll with the school during Easter (going back 15 years now), there had been very mild weather prior to going but turned colder when they were there with fresh snow. My brother did have a good time (good intermediate at the time) skiing at the top of the resort just under 2,000 meters, but I find it crazy schools are still going to resorts this low during April. To almost guarantee good conditions you need to pick resorts above 2,000 meters, France springs to mind. The Scottish kids don’t get a week off during February so school trips have to be during the Easter break, but can’t understand why some schools pick low lying resorts (is this common with other schools??).
ski holidays
maccaa wrote:
Quick question for those in the know.

Our son is booked to go with the school to Khitzbuhel on the 4th of April 2011, looking at the snow history the snow is a little thin on the ground at that time of year. Seeing as it will be the best part of £800 for him to go I am starting to get concerned that this could be too much of a long shot.

Any one with any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Maccaa

I am currently spending my 3rd Season in the Kitzbuhel/Mittersill area. I work part time for one of the local ski schools. I would NOT recommend coming to this area as late as April 4th. By this date many of the lifts in this area will already closed, with only a few remaining open. I work out of Pass Thurn and I know this area will officially be closed on the 4th April (irrespective of whether there is snow or not). Check with the lift company (www.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at). By early April I expect to be enjoying mountain walks rather than skiing. I am shocked that a school party would consider coming to this area so late.

So far the snow this season is not particularly good, with the early part of Jan being too warm. One day it rained at the top of the mountain. However temperatures have recently dropped and there and been some snow fall, though depths are still below average.

I hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yodude3, I'd be very interested to hear your reports of the snow conditions over the course of the next few weeks. I am heading out to Kitzbuhel in three weeks time and whilst the reports give you the stats, they don't really give you a skiers perspective of what the snow is like to ski on. We're staying in a chalet on the Asten ski piste near the Hahnenkamm Gondola - keeping my figures crossed that there'll still be enough snow to ski back to the chalet!
snow conditions
Yodude3, Hey bud, I'm flying out to kitz on saturday. Says online that snow is perfect, presumably thats an over estimate. As long as its not raining and the majority of runs are open i'll be happy
snow report
In St Johann (5km from Kitz). Has been wall to wall sunshine all week. Pistes holding up well here (mainly north facing slopes). Little cut up in noon. By no means perfect. But pretty good if you ask me.
snow report
When I read Yodude3's post above, I was surprised how it damned Kitzbühel, for I have often enjoyed skiing there in April. Indeed, I felt the lifts ran longer there than in most other places in the area. However, when I looked into the matter, I find that Yodude3 is right in many points. As I couldn't understand that, I asked the Kitzbühel lift company what their plans are for this year and received the following information, which is more detailed than what appears on their web site ...

Basically it means that what they call the "small ski circus", which is the lifts on the Hahnenkamm, Fleckalm, Ehrenbachhöhe and Steinbergkogel, will run till Easter (25.4) (and the Silberstube and Kasereck till 17.4). That is quite an extensive area and I trust, snow permitting, it will keep me happy till the end of my season.

PS. Pistes are fine at present, BlueBird13.
snow conditions
Cheers Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy