Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

150cm Junior skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per every couple of years, I'm in the position of buying skis for my kids. Up to now I've taken the view that they'll cope with whatever (s.h. carving) planks fit their height and it seems to have worked so far.
My eldest is now 12, 155 tall and around 50kg, although she is not the fastest nor perhaps the most confident skier she skis parallel and copes with reds, blacks etc. without problem. My next two, who will inherit the skis at approx. two-year intervals are confident and, for their age, competent and fast - my nine y.o. happily follows me down blacks, off piste and likes (trying) to take me through single tracks in the woods & over jumps "where the instructor took us".
Although they only get the standard 1 week per year plus a weekend or two, they've all been skiing since they were four and are very fit as they do lots of other sports.

Mainly due to the ability of the younger two, I'm looking for skis which will provide them a bit more oomph as they improve.

Enough of the background; my question, naturally, is which skis? I've looked at the following in 150 length:

Völkl Racetiger Junior SL + M7.0 EPS
Fischer RC4 Race Junior + FJ7
Elan Formula Junior + EL7.5
Elan RC RACE Junior QT + EL7.5

The first three are all similar price (about 150 Eur), the last are around 180.

I would very much appreciate any feedback on the above or other suggestions particularly from some of the instructors who lurk on here.
As I've got a boy girlie specific skis are out.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So. Have I really defeated the combined might of Snowheads knowledge or was my question just too boring?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sukuinage, My daughter has had a couple of different Volkl Race Tiger skis for the past 3 years and really likes them and has skied everything from easy piste to off piste.
I always have a soft spot for elan skis though, for no other reason than I learnt to ski in what was then Yugoslavia, now Slovenia, visited the factory 20 years ago and they were my first skis.
I think perhaps you are not getting much response because elan skis, for some reason, are not very heavily marketed in the UK, or France that I know of, although I believe they are big in the USA.
I am sure I will get criticism for this, uncaring parent and all that, but I reckon kids are flexible enough to pretty well use anything anywhere and unless they are seriously in to racing, it does no make a lot of difference.. My 12 year old son has skied off piste in powder and all sorts with racing skis just because he "feels like it" and I can't be bothered to argue with him. (He does not race). He does no seem to fall over as often as I do though. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sukuinage, with regards the Fischer Race Juniors just be aware that the radius on them is quite a lot larger (14m @ 120cm) than on the slightly more expensive Competition Juniors (11m @ 140cm). THis means the race juniors will tend to be less easy to turn than the Competitions - it's perhaps worth checking radiuses of the other skis for comparison.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback.
Roga, I vaguely noticed that there was a bit of a difference in the radiuses, I've not really looked into it in depth yet as we'll not be going till February. Thanks for the heads up.
Skitow, I'm another uncaring parent who lets his kids ski on whatever is available (don't worry about the boots - they'll fit if you take your socks off Twisted Evil ). I thought maybe I'd give them a treat this time as they should do a good 7 seasons. I'll probably regret it when my lad gets on them and challenges me to races Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sukuinage, "I'll probably regret it when my lad gets on them and challenges me to races"

Of course you will, but will you be happy ? Of course you will be !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy