Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All it takes is weight adjustment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For any back country purists who don't enter the Piste, a terrific demonstration of how simple it can be to make skis turn popped up in this thread ....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6905 [IH]

Apparently the small model has no power source, no controls and works simply by being slightly top-heavy and as the weight moves over the COG the skis edge on the other side and round it goes.

The Japanese skiing robot from 2002 is much more sophisticated - as you would expect. But I like the little fun model. Will they be scooting all over the Alps next season ? Another opportunity for snowHead marketing ?

To emulate the PSIMan, I just have to find a way to relocate my 'slipped chest' back up around shoulder level - then a bit of gentle center of mass adjustment as I move down the piste should take care of things. Why have we been tiring our legs for so long. We've been doing it all wrong. Damn.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, "center of mass adjustment"

You see, you should have made it to the bash - exactly what most people were getting yelled at for Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, I heard tell BALLS came into the equation too Madeye-Smiley Maybe next year I'll be up for some GBH of the earhole from you.

Seriously, that little gadget is a brilliant demonstration of how simple it can be with your weight being exerted in the right way at the right time. Similar principle to judo, I believe. Let your opponent's weight do the work.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently if adjust my weight it will improve my skiing dramatically, or so my physio says
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian wrote:

To emulate the PSIMan, I just have to find a way to relocate my 'slipped chest' back up around shoulder level - then a bit of gentle center of mass adjustment as I move down the piste should take care of things. Why have we been tiring our legs for so long. We've been doing it all wrong. Damn.

'Back country purists', Bwa! Laughing Laughing snowHead

It is actually fantastic timing on your part to post this. I've been thinking about it a little, since February actually. Specifically, I was looking at the restricted case of retraction turns, where we assume that the center of mass (COM) is actually within the core and possibly not moving at all.

Now, how much do those legs actually weigh? Along with boots and skis and trousers and whatever is in the pockets. It quickly turns into a case of a spring with a weight on one side and very little on the other. The COM assumption therefore fails, and we are actually extending and retracting our COM, because it is simply below the muscles doing the work! (You might say 'passive absorption', I might in turn say 'eccentric contraction')

However, berfore you start planning over your current fitness plan, I want to add a little frisson of 'muscle maturity' to the mix. The sense I understand that term in is in 'resistant to delayed onset muscle soreness'. It is exactly the sort of muscle a last-minute ski preparation program will not give. I am sure others (paging john wells) will be able to tell you more about this.
--------------------
For me this means: I plan to train ski strength now through Jul, maintenance program through Oct. with some skating and biking in the mix, then maintenance program through Jan. with climbing and swimming in the mix. Whaddya think?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, now we’re in my world, mass, speed, inertia, torque and strength. Whilst I can equate all these within a gymnastic or trampoline routine, in skiing there is the added factor of the variable and directional friction coefficient.
That’s why I bated Ian. The little robot uses the shield as a pendulum to move the top link (pelvis) down the fall line as the turn passes through it. A simple cross-link keeps everything in a parallelogram and the width of the ‘pelvis coupled with the weight of the uphill ski stops it toppling over the downhill ski as it stars a new turn. Which goes a long way to explain the ‘weeble like’ stability of small children as they blast past you on the hill whilst shouting waving and bending into body positions that’ll put you and me into a trauma clinic.

So . . . as I dig myself a soddin’ big hole . . . With the centre of mass below a wide pelvis and no upper body mass inertia to influence movement, it should mean that a short, flat chested bird with a big bum should be inherently more stable than a tall skinny bloke. Should we be looking for our next Olympic champion in Essex?
(where can I find a tongue-in-cheek smiley?)

Developing muscle strength and control to consistently and accurately place your body’s centre of mass in relation to its dynamic environment is the first goal of pretty much any active sport after achieving your own acceptable base level fitness.
This centre of mass can be well outside the confines of your body.
In this relationship, skis, boots etc. are just unsprung inertial mass that has to be included in its calculations by your brain and controlled by your muscles. (sometimes we don’t make a good job of that).

On that train of thought a ski specific training regime would concentrate primarily on leg strength and leg muscle mass with enhanced core/torso flexibility and strength (with as limited mass as possible) to constrain and channel the inertial forces of the upper body head and shoulders as the counterbalance.

For ski specific activities I’m persuaded that John Wells has the preferred (if supervised) approach to developing muscle strength and density. I’m not convinced that it’s an adequate replacement for a generally more active lifestyle which will improve your skiing anyway by your involvement in ‘dynamic’ activities where your balance control (strength) improves. I’m not convinced that the once or twice a year skier would take any benefit from targeted body training. I’m more inclined to believe that better general fitness to enhance our ability to assimilate technique training is a more productive route for most of us.

It boils down to . . . how far do you want to improve in your sport or do you want to maintain your existing abilities? These are age and/or attitude related questions that only the individual can answer.

Your thoughts?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, Most holiday skiers do not stand properly in balance when they're ski-ing. Telling people to lean forward doesn't usually help because they just advance their head and shoulders. this has the opposite effect on the bum! If you stand with your weight on the balls of your feet, your hips over balls/arch and your knees over your toes (roughly), you should find almost zero stress on your body/legs. They can then work properly and your skeleton can do it's job and hold you up. You need to be perpendicular to the slope that you're currently ski-ing down. (There will be some differences if you tackle stuff like Phillingle). In addition to this the majority of holiday skiers seem unable to flex their ankles, which is a pre-requisite.

All this can be fixed with practise on gentle slopes, and concentration! Smile

Having said that, of course it's a little harder to do than to say, and you do (especially off piste) get knocked out of position quite often. Getting back into the balanced position is the trick, but takes time to get used to. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strewth (spelling?). All I've ever done to initiate a turn is move my chewing gum from one side of my mouth to the other Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, She wasnt bothered by my stance but wouyldlike me to shift 20kg. Thanks for the tips though, I have had the boots on and practised already snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alan Craggs, snowHead Laughing snowHead Only spit on a cornice! Cool

Masque, PSIman can't do a retraction turn to save his metal skis. That video does not show how smooth that snow had to be for him not to bounce on his side or back. He does angulate quite nicely though. Regarding your, um, somewhat unfortunate mental image, that is the definite assumption behind 'women's' ski models.

What easiski said ^ is going to be a major part of my flexibility work. Ankles and hips.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, always impressed by your skiing insights Very Happy snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy