Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - Peisey area help please

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all your great help with Tignes last season. This time we're most likely off to Les Arcs. Very Happy

We are currently looking at booking a catered chalet in the Peisey area. The one we have in mind is in Le Villaret, a few minutes from the bottom of the bucket lift.

In anyone familiar with this area? Is it completely isolated from Plan Peisey and Vallandry once the bucket lift has closed unless you have a car (we won't)?
There don't seem to be many bars or restaurants in this village, so if we went for a drink higher up, would we be able to ski back down after the bucket lift closes?

We have used this chalet company before, so know they are good, but it may be that the location isn't ideal - that's what I want to find out.
We also have other considerations such as where to hire skis from, and where to book lessons - if anyone has any recommendations for these, or any other chalets in the Peisey/Vallandry area that might be suitable, I would be very grateful.

A bit about the group: 6 people, varying ski experience, mostly ski on piste, no beginners. Would prefer ski in/out/short walk rather than having to rely on buses to get about. Looking for a catered chalet, budget £500pp tops (for the chalet - we'll sort our own train tickets). Will require a few hours of private lessons (intermediate level) if anyone knows a good instructor.

Thanks for your help snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in Peisey Nancroix a couple of years ago. You are right that once the bucket lift has closed it is isolated from Plan Peisey and Villandry - in theory you can ski down but it is not pisted and not easy to see a line down. when we were there it hadn't snowed for a while and the slopes down were frozen and rutted and those that did attempt to ski it only did so the once! One evening my son and a few lads he met in our chalet took a taxi up and came down with alcohol assistance on bum boards. There is a ski shop in the village which was fine but I don't know about ski school. There's a couple of restaurants in the village and a small bar but if you're after lively apres ski this isn't the place - you've got to make your own entertainment.

In general it's a good area - the slopes above Plan Peisey and Villandry seem to keep the snow well and don't get too crowded and you're right by the lift if you feel like a day in La Plagne. Les Arcs as a whole is great and has an excellent lift system with very few button lifts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet, I have stayed in le Villaret several times- with Go-Alpine in Chalet Himalaya- it is bloody great!

Mark and Kathy are fantastic and always employ good staff, the chalet is just right- th efood great and the hot tub sets it off. But not a place for frantic night life. We go with friends and always make our own entertainment.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies.

We're not after frantic night life, but a couple of drinks in a local bar would be appreciated, without having to take a taxi. Alcohol assisted sliding sounds like it will probably end in tears and a trip to A&E! Access to La Plagne is one reason for staying this side of Les Arcs.

ed123, The Himalaya isn't the chalet I was looking at, but I will take a look for comparison, thanks.

Is there more going on in Vallandry and Plan Peisey? I'll see if there are any suitable chalets up there.
For got to add, we are after the week 12th March, for availability.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used this one: http://www.snowchateaux.co.uk/ChaletPeisey/ last year which I think is in villaret? There was a friendly enough bar with two pool tables, did food, crazy cocktails and a varied selection of beer. We were usually 80% of the customers, but that doesn't really bother us. The restaurant we used was nice enough, but I think was one of only 3.....

Villaret is isolated after lifts close, and the bucket close time seemed a little unreliable, and that ski down is nasty - I wouldn't try it in the dark, or for anyone less than brave or less than totally sober, there's no offcial piste. The one night be we went up to plan peisey/vallandry for the night it was much livlier (we got attacked by smurfs!) but we got stuck and had to walk back (bumboards were offered by the bar but we chose life!) - took an hour maybe? Handily we had beer jackets on, and found it hilarious, but not everyone would.....it's an easy enough route though - no danger of getting lost.

Ski access though is fine, buckets are regular and fast enough, then a (normal/non-ski) lift up to the vanoise express. Our biggest complaint was the walk to the bucket from the chalet, after that all good.

Ski hire we used Noz sports who were very cheap pre-booked (http://www.best-price-ski-rental.com/) and from memory fine, must have been decent skis as for once I didn't change mine, but unfortunately I don't remember much about it.

hth.

aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
a.j.,
Quote:

it was much livlier (we got attacked by smurfs!)

was the that the night of "the attack of the humping Smurfs" wink wink Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet, you're right that its a sleepy place, a couple of bars, but the bus runs hourly between the resorts so you don't need to risk life and limb on the icy track below the lobster pots. ed123, you off to see Mark & Cathy again this season? We'll be there mid January
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski - YES! Were you a victim too? I believe there was a special helpline setup:D
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
Thanks for all your great help with Tignes last season. This time we're most likely off to Les Arcs. Very Happy

We are currently looking at booking a catered chalet in the Peisey area. The one we have in mind is in Le Villaret, a few minutes from the bottom of the bucket lift.

In anyone familiar with this area? Is it completely isolated from Plan Peisey and Vallandry once the bucket lift has closed unless you have a car (we won't)?
There don't seem to be many bars or restaurants in this village, so if we went for a drink higher up, would we be able to ski back down after the bucket lift closes?

Thanks for your help snowHead

some useful advice from the other posters - personally I wouldn't quite call it 'a few minutes from the bottom of the bucket lift' - more like 10 .. which in ski boots at the end of a long day, can be a little tedious. Yes there are buses down from up on the hill, but the last bus down is around 11:15 or thereabouts, ok if you want to go out for dinner but not much use if there's a soiree in la vache or a good band on in the blanc..

For general info on the resort try this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j., no not a victim, but I know where the Smurfs were staying Laughing Laughing guests in a friends chalet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mountain Haddock, yes it is a bit of a fixture!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet, the most up-to-date details about les arcs/peisey vallandry from locals that are out there can be found on our main thread at:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66382&start=240

As for staying down in peisey, if you are not good skiers I advise you to not try to ski down, could get hurt as it is off piste and snow is often not very good. Someone said earlier, they did it once and would not do it again. you need to be sure if you are staying down there that the chalet pick you up from the lift. It is a bit of a walk to there place. It is not a ski in ski out place for most people.

You are better off up in the main resort if you want bars etc. But Peisey Vallandry is not anywhere near as lively as Arc 1800. Depends what you want out of the holiday.

You can also find loads of other links and info about Les Arcs on my facebook info group. Click on the link below. Have a good holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we stayed in bayona chalet in Plan Peisey last year - which was truly great location directly opposite the ski lift and ski hire (70 secs to climb the stairs, you're there), and right next to that all talked about lift that sweeps you over to La Plage. Great location, good bars at bottom / mid way and also just over at Villandry (6-10 minute walk back to Plan Peisey if you don't wish to / miss the up on the last Grizzly lift to get over to Plan Peisey). No beginners slope, but good beginners that lift. Nice to be away from the hustle and bustle and pretty grim architecture of Les Arc - but super easy to get there and nice runs back at end of day. Never felt a trek. Bit slushy at end of week as sun was out all week and nil dump. Hope this helps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy wrote:
Scarlet, But Peisey Vallandry is not anywhere near as lively as Arc 1800.....

There's nothing wrong with the Mont Blanc... It'll do me for Christmas day..
Shame about the Squirrel though, can't see that being up to much this season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
good beginners that lift? what am I on about? That should say good beginners area at top of chair lift right outside chalet. Also I think ski meet at bottom of that life to take you there.
ski holidays
it's not me, editing on snowhead's must surely have gone weird, was sure I checked it - ski school meet at bottom of that lift, not that life!
ski holidays
allanm, yes i agree, mont blanc is good and the squirrel, will have to wait and see this season. But the whole place as a resort does not have the same buzz as Arc 1800 when all the students are in town.
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
allanm,.. But the whole place as a resort does not have the same buzz as Arc 1800....

Of course you're correct there, I'm just being defensive about my neck of the woods.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
But the whole place as a resort does not have the same buzz as Arc 1800 when all the students are in town.

thank god...
snow conditions
bertie bassett, Good to know - I like honesty! I'm going to try to find somewhere a little higher up I think. TBH your thread probably influenced the resort decision a bit - it's nice to see what it's like in the quieter, prettier areas.

snowcrazy, No, I don't think we'll be skiing down, but you can't tell from a piste map what these unmarked links are like - it might have been a gentle field, but apparently not.
Not bothered about it being really lively - we're not nightclubbing! Arc 1800 might be going too far in that sense. Would just prefer something going on to absolutely nothing, especially if it's not accessible for anywhere else. We were in Les Brev last year, and while it isn't exactly a hotbed of activity, Vincent's bar was plenty adequate!

SwishWithMe, Thanks for the tip - what was the Bayona itself like?

allanm, I've heard about this Flying Squirrel - what's the deal with that?
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
allanm, I've heard about this Flying Squirrel - what's the deal with that?

The deal with the Flying Squirrel... is... that it's now a wine bar Sad
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
allanm, yes i agree, mont blanc is good and the squirrel, will have to wait and see this season. But the whole place as a resort does not have the same buzz as Arc 1800 when all the students are in town.

And for that we can be very grateful!

Scarlet As others have said, Villaret is pretty quiet & not a lot going on down in Peisey in the evenings either. You'd need a car if you wnted to go upt to Vallandry or Plan Peisey in the evening. Plan peisey & Vallandry are different - which you prefer is a personal choice. Vallandry has a couple of bars - Mont Blanc & Jimmy's. Mont Blanc is lively & fun. Jimmy's is fairly Dutch & you'll find people dancing on the tables in there - but they all go to bed by 10 Confused Several restaurants there. Plan Peisey has aparently lost its bar - the Squirrel - which I was never very fond of, anyway. Its becoming a wine bar, so we'll see how that goes. La Vache is a great restaurant/bar, & Solan just next to the Vanoise is always worth a visit.
Ski hire from Noz Sport is hard to beat - very helpful in there.

When are you going there?
ski holidays
There is the free 'navette' which links Vallandry, Plan Peisey, Peisey and Nancrois, runs about every 1/2 hour until 11 or so weekdays. Weekends, last one is at about 6PM.
Walking down from Vallandry to Peisey is do-able, although I wouldn't want to walk up.
ski holidays
genepi, Cheers, we'll try some of those out. Vallandry sounds like it might suit us best. Looking to go 12th March ish, mostly to avoid the hoards of French schoolchildren in mile-long ESF crocodiles Madeye-Smiley

Anyone got any chalet tips for Vallandry itself?

allanm, Ahh, a wine bar. Though I am partial to the odd glass or ten myself, I can see why this may not appeal so much. Do you think it will last as long as March? Toofy Grin
And what is a navette? Sounds like some kind of hygiene product...
snow report
Scarlet,Soz, navette, literally 'shuttle', is a bus.

You can also ski back from 1800 to Vallandry after the lifts shut with just a little hike... and a torch.

We'll have to wait and see what the new Squirell's like.

genepi and bertie are right, and pray is stays that way.
snow conditions
allanm, That sounds more like it, I'll try and remember to pack a headtorch Very Happy
As for the Squirrel, I'll post a review if we get that far.
snow report
If I get a chance between paint & maintenence this weekend, I'll pop up to the Squirrel & see whats going on there - not that it'll be open yet of course
snow report
Bayona was a good chalet. Location fantastic and very large comfortable dining / living area. No TV but very sociable layout with large table and seating so TV wasn't missed. If had had kids with us for that trip would take a portable DVD and plant them in mezzaine level. Boot room not up to much, just a garage. Sauna OK but tiny porch bit to get in and out. Food great as is Ski Beat's wont. Hosts very competent and up for a laugh - keen to take us out to their crazy reps bar - quite a night out. Food good. Rooms roomy enough and clean. Beds comfortable. Showers and bathrooms just right. Not luxury or particularly cosy rooms, but not tired yet. The dining living area has great panoramic window and balcony, so felt much more lux up there than in rooms. not fond of the lemon shade of the sheets but I'm clutching at straws now, so broadly - thumbs up. Another vouch for the Mont Blanc bar though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi
I have visted Le Villaret about 8 times and absolutely love it. Yes it is very sleepy but if you head along to the Relais De Trois Stations in Peisey (about a 10 min walk) there is a good bar under the hotel with a pool table and very nice genepy ! Peisey also has a little supermarket with a ski hire shop attached and there is also a traditional bakers and butchers. Lift to Plan Peisey is an open "lobster pot" type affair that seems to cope with the number of users quite well. Something very pleasant about trundling up the lift with the Vanoise Express overhead and the cracking view right down into the valley floor. Beats the daily commute up the A3 !!
At the end of the day head for a beer in La Poudrouse, wait for the slopes to empty and then ski down to the top of the lobster pot lift. You can't beat it in my opinion. Wonderful. Smile
snow report
Griggs wrote:

At the end of the day head for a beer in La Poudrouse, wait for the slopes to empty and then ski down to the top of the lobster pot lift. You can't beat it in my opinion. Wonderful. Smile

you can in mine - stop at Blanche Muree on the way home or alternatively down to p-peisey, stop for a couple of sundowners on the terrace in la vache, nice bit of dinner and bus home from there...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Mmmmm.. you're not wrong!
snow report
Granted the Blanche Muree is one of the finest mountain restuarants in Les Arcs and it is always the place that we make a bee line for lunch. However, I still think for a final run of the day the one from the 2300 chairlift to the Vanoise Express is an absolutely cracking way of ending the day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy