Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burke Mountain, Vermont

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been here before? We're going to be there for a friend's wedding and we've got a few days beforehand to do some skiing, so I'm trying to get an idea of what it's like.

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Trail map says it all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure when you'll be there. The only high speed lift serves the lower mountain and easy terrain. Other lifts are older. It also doesn't have the extensive snowmaking system that some other areas have. There is snowmaking but Burke is never in the "first to open" sweepstakes. It's somewhat out of the way. Folks going up from the Boston area have to drive by Loon, Waterville Valley, and Cannon. There are several other areas closer to Boston as well. Folks from New York and Connecticut also have several more proximate choices. While not as well known it has a loyal following. Folks that ski there generally really like it. Almost never a significant lift line, the slopes aren't crowded, great views, classic twisty New England trails. How much will be open will depend on when you visit and the weather. But if snow cover is good I think you'll really enjoy Burke. Also, Cannon is just down the road and Loon (extensive snowmaking, very popular, and generally crowded on weekend and holidays) is just a few miles further South on I93. Jay Peak would also be within fairly easy reach of the Burke area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks saikee, RISkier.

We're going to be there early February, so should be time enough for the snow gods to cough up... Our friends are fanatical about the place, so I guess they're part of that loyal following!

I think we may try and squeeze a day over at Jay Peak while we're there - well, it'd be a shame not to sample as much as we can!

Getting excited now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on what kind of skier you are. Burke is known for its "classic" twisty runs cut out of the woods. If you are looking for 50 metre wide motorway cruising, you probably won't like Burke! But others love that "character" of the runs.

It's also pretty well regarded for its woods. That is, if you're so inclined.

I've been to Jay only twice. Both time disappointed due to non-ideal conditions (the glades are not skiable). The main trails are wind blown to as hard as kitchen tile. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jay should be fantastic in early Feb. I was there last year at that time & it was great. A few things about Jay to think about: In Feb it will be COLD- I guess that's to be expected but northern VT can be brutally cold. Last year in early Feb it was -9c and most of the locals told us we lucked out with the warm weather. It was sunny, so it wasn't horrible, but the wind can make things worse. Basically- be prepared for cold. Also, the wind. As a previous poster mentioned, main trails can often get wind-blown. The beneficiaries of this are the trees. Snow there gets blown off the main trails & into the woods. The woods there are fantastic though, so I highly recommend staying in the trees. It's warmer too. Not sure about your abilities but there are plenty of intermediate tree runs that are not pitched too much & an intermediate skier can handle it just fine. If you're not going to ski in the trees, Jay is kind of a waste of time IMHO.

Don't know much about Burke other than what's already been said. Loyal following, classic New England skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds awesome!!! We've sampled the 'esoteric' joys of New England skiing on a past trip - last time it dipped to a balmy -5F - so I'm ready for the bulletproof pistes and razor-sharp wind.

Excited to hear about the trees. I've never really done a lot of tree skiing so I think I'll have to give it a shot!

I'm happy on European reds and have been know to make my way down a black now and again - and the last time we were in the States, single black diamonds didn't seem too much trouble - so hopefully the trees are within reach...

Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Excited to hear about the trees. I've never really done a lot of tree skiing so I think I'll have to give it a shot!

Good on you! Jay is my favorite place in New England to ski and I've only been once & that was last season. I plan on trying to get up there at least once this season. If you look at Jay's trail map there are several "blue square" marked tree runs. The one called "kokomo" was a lot of fun. Hit those up & if you're feeling comfortable try out the ones to the far right on the map "Beaver Pond" & "Andre's Paradise." I spent a ton of time in those last year & it was a blast. Jay tends not to get too crowded (it's nearly empty on weekdays), so I found the place very relaxing. The trees give you a sense like you're lost in the middle of nowhere, but the boundries are marked well so you won't get lost unless you're trying to!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy