Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ZipFit Question

Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought a new pair of boots and had a pair of ZipFit grand prix fitted. I haven't skied in them yet, it feels like i have a much more direct connection with the boot and it's really surprising how much they seem to change the dynamics of the boot.

From reading posts i understand they will take time to bed in fully and that heating the shells and liner helps. I had a practice putting the boots on this morning (cold) and know understand the benefit of heating the shells as it was a struggle. I'm starting to think that a heated ski bag is essential, but does anyone know of any viable alternatives or can anyone recommend a bag?

Any tips on living with ZipFits would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head do a nice heated boot bag.

I've had two pair of Zipfits. First pair took 5 or 6 days days (of lots of pain) before they started to work. After that period they were excellent - very good at holding my foot in the boot (felt like I was welded to the ski) but no obvious pressure point anywhere. The 2nd pair of Zipfits took less time to bed down, although I'm begining to think I want to work a bit more material around my ankle for a slightly better heel retention. From what I understand this is easy to do with the Zipfits.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob,

do you always heat your shells before skiing or is it just a matter of practicing forcing your foot and liner into the shell.

Based on this mornings jig and dance i'll be first in the boot room and last out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mt wrote:
Thanks Rob,

do you always heat your shells before skiing or is it just a matter of practicing forcing your foot and liner into the shell.

Based on this mornings jig and dance i'll be first in the boot room and last out.

I try to keep them in a warm place and avoid cold boot rooms if I can. Sometimes I'll stick my boot dryers on for 20 minutes before I stick the boots on as it makes the process a bit easier. But usually it's a case of forcing the clog apart with as much effort as I can so I can get my foot in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mt, I've recently had new zipfits - not skied in them yet..... I was given the useful tip of leaving out the inner laces to start with. I also intend to use the boot dryer warm air blowers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
leaving out the inner laces to start with.

I've ditched those, seemed pointless.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mt, I always take out the zipfits at the end of the day to dry them out.
Next morning ,I find it makes a big difference to wear just the liners as I faff about getting breakfast.
This warms them up nicely and I can slide my liner clad foot into the shell easily.
If you're going to do the microwave thing,don't forget to take out the footbed and remove the strap at the top with the metal buckle.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a lot of information on their website http://www.zipfit.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mt, Warm boots - easy.. 1) Dry out over night. 2) Put in cool bag.. insert Thermic boot heaters and switch on. 3)Close bag.... Remove when ready to ski ...takes about 30 minutes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
leaving out the inner laces to start with.

I've ditched those, seemed pointless.

Are you putting the liner on your foot before putting them into the shell ? I get a much better fit in race liners with the laces done up good and tight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
Are you putting the liner on your foot before putting them into the shell ? I get a much better fit in race liners with the laces done up good and tight.

Tried both ways and not noticed a significant difference. I find it much easier to put the boot on when the liner is already in the boot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

First pair took 5 or 6 days days (of lots of pain) before they started to work

Quite agree with rob@rar, and the first couple of days took a lot of faffing and bad language to get them on and then they were just fine. Usually have them on the boot dryer warm air blowers when we get in and then stick them on again for half an hour or so, if we remember, before going on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mt,

there are 2 ways to put them on, either foot into liner then the whole lot into the shell or foot into boot as one unit (liner already in the shell)

as has been said the zip fit web site has loads of info on fitting tricks etc, it does take time to get them to bed in but when they do they are great in terms of both comfort and performance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone that's really helpful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mt, get some of these & put them in your boots overnight. Not only will you have nice & dry boots in the morning but the warmth means no problems putting boots (with zipfits installed) on: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-accessories/therm-ic/710031/boot-warmer-230v
ski holidays
Another vote for leaving the zipfits in, sans laces, and using thermic bootwarmers.
snow report
The best way is using Hot Gear Bag, leave boots in the bag over night on dry mode. Before purchasing HGB I've done the job by heating liners using hair drayer, 3/5 minutes on first gear, then wearing them and... run to the slopes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy