Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is steep!

Poster: A snowHead
The Face piste follows the Super g course, more or less, which is a max gradient of 32 degrees from your link, although I don't think there is anything over 28 degrees on the normal skiers run... except on the back of a mogul, maybe.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-11-10 11:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
edde, wot they said. It is not a really steep run.

I really think people have a pretty poor conception of what a 60 degree slope actually would look like. The only way to measure it properly is with an inclinometer (nice iPod/phone apps available). Spectator/camera views of a slope from any angle other than above, will always tend to make them look steeper than it actually is.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother wrote:
I really think people have a pretty poor conception of what a 60 degree slope actually would look like.

If anyone has difficulty in imagining what a 60 degree slope is they don't want to find out by ending up on one!

I don't have the bottle, and probably not the skills, to ski anything steeper than low 40s. I think the steepest I've been on is about 42 degrees according to the guide I was with, and that was in benign snow conditions so was intimidating but enjoyable. 42 degrees is considerably steeper than any piste I've skied. Guys who ski stuff beyond 45 degree in all snow conditions, like the OP, have my respect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Yep - I have skied inclinometer confirmed 45 degree slopes reasonably frequently - and the ER LL slopes mentioned earlier in the thread -at 48 ish. They are fun, but the real factor is the exposure - ie what are they above? (is there a run out or is there a cliff) or how do you get into them? (Corbetts - which I haven't done yet, is 50 degrees for a short pitch - but after a 10-20 foot jump - with a must-make-or-splat turn).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,
Quote:

what a 60 degree slope is

A CLIFF Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
here we go... just to give an idea of angles - actually quite useful!

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steep is anything that takes me out of my comfort zone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
apparently 71% is about 35.3º. I agree we tend to overestimate slopes - especially when we are on or at the top of a steep one.

There is a handy calculator here 1728.com Slope Calculator

(no affiliation to the site, just find it useful). In particular, scroll all the way down - there is a picture that gives you an idea of the difference between, say 30 and 50 degrees...

I think the steepest "on piste" I have done is Grand Couloir (Courchevel) and Grand Couloir (Les Deux Alpes)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry - itchy posting finger...

I meant to add: any idea of their steepness? At the time I thought "oh poo-poo it's steep", but looking back I think they are both around 30º.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone got that picture where someone (I think Remy LeCluse?) used a stepladder to demonstrate the actual angles?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think Grand Couloir at Les Deux Alpes (or Bellecombes 5 as it will be known from this winter Puzzled ) is that steep, I think it's the fact that it's fairly narrow and usually heavily mogulled that makes it daunting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, Not the same but here is the
link to him demonstrating nice turns on what looks to me to be about 45 degrees. Might have been you who posted it before?

And you will see on this page of his site he talks about extreme skiing between 50 and 55 degrees

I suspect he - as one of the people mentioned in this months edition of "Powder" ('the return of the extreme skier") knows a bit more than some of those who have been talking about 60 degrees and more in this thread.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks as easy as a walk in the park to him and he explains it so clearly. Wonderful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i did a run on whistler called sunrise. Its about 35 metre long drop more or less into bowl. But when putting in the few turns i could touch the snow with my elbow. No idea what angle that would be
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
steep is the Mallory and Eugster on the midi.
Seb Montaz a great mountain guide in Chamonix recently made a little film about it

Midi Mega Mix: A Passion for steep skiing. from Montaz-Rosset Studio
http://www.vimeo.com/17597046
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
It looks as easy as a walk in the park to him and he explains it so clearly. Wonderful.

And it looks to me like he's wearing Scarpa Spirit 4 boots (far too soft for extreme skiing) with not a fat cambered ski in sight.
Perhaps it's the skill that matters?
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

Spectator/camera views of a slope from any angle other than above, will always tend to make them look steeper than it actually is.

Have to say photos looking down always make slopes seem a damn sight less steep than they feel at the time.
snow report
In Chamonix I skied a slope that had just been used for an international Extreme Skiing competition. There were places where you could take a steeper line (including big jumps) but the direct route down was about 40º I reckon (perhaps 45º at the top), before easing up near the bottom.
But of course they skied it fast!
snow report
This looks steep

Midi Mega Mix: A Passion for steep skiing. from Montaz-Rosset Studio
http://vimeo.com/17597046
ski holidays
Everyones perception of steep is different, but everyones reaction is the same when you get a warm damp feeling in your pants!!
snow report
You want Steep? Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=424776&highlight=mount+cook#424776
snow report
My first post on here.

I skied Delirium Dive (Sunshine) 2 years ago and the drop in to that was a little hairy for the first few turns. When I looked back up at the bottom it didn't look like that steep although it felt it when I was going down. Again some of the entrances into the bowls at Whistler you have to take a deep breath. Really boils down to skier ability and confidence. A good guide would get you down most things.
snow report
Tarry, welcome to snowHeads

confidence is key isn't it?
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
Tarry, welcome to snowHeads

confidence is key isn't it?

Thanks. Little Angel

Yes. You can be a relatively competent skier then you take a big tumble, take a knock or just plain knackered and then suddenly even that easy red back to resort can seem tricky.
Personally I think it's a great way to improve by taking yourself to the edge of your comfort zone and doing something challenging. Then the next time your in that situation again it doesn't seem so bad and before you know it you're looking down something even steeper and nastier Cool.
latest report
you know its getting steep is when you stand sideways on a slope and your uphill leg is bending 90 degrees and downhill leg is out straight (if you try it standing up and imagine the angle the slope has to make to allow both feet to touch)

You know you are on the edge when you can reach out and touch the slope - dont have a picture of that though

snow report
Steepish = top half of boots rubbing the slope.

Steepest = not possible to "stand still" on the slope.
snow report
daehwons wrote:
you know its getting steep is when you stand sideways on a slope and your uphill leg is bending 90 degrees and downhill leg is out straight (if you try it standing up and imagine the angle the slope has to make to allow both feet to touch)

You know you are on the edge when you can reach out and touch the slope

like this

the steepest and narrowest I have ever skied

if we fell we would have had a nasty time- but probably not dead- softish landing

easy to get to- lift accessed and visible from a piste (which was not that reasuring)

not too long

back to the pistes with a bit of a walk

ski holidays
The World Cup Slalom in Val D'Isere today looked more than steep enough thank you very much Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123 wrote:

With all due respect it looks like the person in the picture is side slipping, that's not really "skiing" is it?

Not that I blame them Smile Not only steep but some nasty looking rocks too... Shock

Out of curiousity, where did you find this "interesting" route?
ski holidays
elgrego wrote:
The World Cup Slalom in Val D'Isere today looked more than steep enough thank you very much Shocked

I took this yesterday(from the telly)

Although it doesnt look much unless you know what your looking at

after just making the right hand turn above the blue turn gate the skier launched into the air turning to make the lower left turn. While in the air the piste drops away arount 10-15 feet. Skier catches the edges on "white concrete". awesome to watch but steep is steep and to do it at GS speeds is just amazing

in action

snow conditions
I think this is the steepest thing I've skied. Echarpe Nord on the Pic de l'Etendard.

Not me in the shots. Purely for illustrative purposes. It's fifty-something degrees.

This is me. Another fifty-something degree line in the Alpe d'Huez area.

Mont Dore is the place to go for the proper steep stuff. You'll find 60 degree plus stuff here in decent snow years. Some of the lines here scare the bejeezus out of me.

ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
daehwons wrote:

You know you are on the edge when you can reach out and touch the slope

like this

if we fell we would have had a nasty time- but probably not dead- softish landing

easy to get to- lift accessed and visible from a piste (which was not that reasuring)

not too long

back to the pistes with a bit of a walk

Les Arcs?
snow report
I use thin ones now, and I can still feel my toes 20 minutes after putting my boots on...which was new.

Steepness of a slope is measured in the number of seconds my 11 year takes to ski 100m. 10-20sec: its ok, 8-10 secs: I tighten my bindings, 6-8 secs close my eyes and follow in the mistaken belief that this is the duty of a father..but how does she laugh and ski at the same time??

Strax
snow report
Strax,

Laughing

She's laughing because she's watching her father try to keep up wink
snow report
Surely the steeper the slope the lower the average speed down it?

Maybe that's lost on kids. snowHead
ski holidays
bad_roo wrote:

Nope; V steep; more control needed. Not so steep = shuss.......
ski holidays
scooby_simon wrote:
bad_roo wrote:

Comprehension fail.
snow conditions
bad_roo wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:
bad_roo wrote:

Comprehension fail.

Complete! read it as steep = faster.....

Time for more sleep I think..........
ski holidays
bad_roo, Flaine!

sah, oh come on! Side slipping is an expert technique- anyway all our butt cheeks were so firmly clamped together there was no chance of a turn, I thought that if I fell I probably wouldn't fall over the cliff but down the gully- probably....
snow report
IMO it's very easy to over-estimate the steepness of a slope.

A good rule of thumb used when I'm on crampons - If you are standing vertically and hold your arm out horizontally and touch the slope - 60 deg. ; so 2 arm lengths (if you have extendable arms) 30 deg. This doesn't take into account people who subscribe to Darwin's Theory of evolution who drage their knuckles on the ground.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy