Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

corvara hotels, guest houses

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, we are a family of 5 determined to go to Corvara in February 2011. Does anyone have a good hotel to recommend? We don't particularly need spas and wellness centres, or the trappings of luxury, but good food is a v. high priority, as is proximity to the lifts! So far, the places we've looked at seem more expensive than other places in Italy we've been to recently (La Thuile and Sestriere).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin family, welcome to snowheads... snowHead not covara but close by......we are booked for March.

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin family, Chalet Verena (colletts) is very good and is 2 mins from the list, also v good food
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IF you go to the Google map and locate Corvara and the type pension or hotel you will have the choices appearing on the map. Some links can direct you to their web pages and contacting email.

The more expensive one, with their own web sites, allow you to book online or give you at least the going rate. You can of course contact the smaller B&B and send them your request. The replies can be in Italian which you can translate using Internet site like Babelfish. I found the guest houses in Dolomites generally pretty good and helpful. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Nowadays the Google map, together with Expedia, Bergfex, and Booing.com etc are very useful and comprehensive in picking any accommodation for any country. You can check the same accommodation with different sites and find out the competitive price. Usually dealing with the owner should be the cheapest but other sites may have a standing discount arrangement with some properties.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin family, We stayed in Corvara 3 years ago and I struggled a bit to find a suitable hotel as it is rather an expensive resort, especially as we have to travel during half term. In the end we had to compromise on the location and picked Hotel Bel Sit which is probably a good five minute walk outside of the centre and even further from the lifts, but the hotel provided a minibus which they ran constantly in the morning and afternoon which worked really well. Extremely comfortable hotel and food was good rather than outstanding. Only problem we found was walking into the town at night as the pavements were extremely icy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe Corvara is known as a bit of a German resort town.

If what is attracting you is the network of blue runs (and indeed they are very attractive!) you might find that you can be close by in another place (Colfosco?) and still access the skiing.

Smokin Joe's, suggestion is a good one.

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin family, Arabba is also close (2 lifts), more Italian and would probably have cheaper accommodation although the Arabba slopes are less suited to beginners
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, I don't recall corvara being especially germanic, (apart from the restaurant fare) just the usual alpine mix of folk
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all for these useful tips . We're going to have a look at Colfosco too, less keen on Arabba as although everyone skis well, we've had some more negative feedback on it. We'd already spent quite a bit of time with google maps and the links, it's hard to make a decision without a personal recommendation... (on that subject, if anyone is going to La Thuile we LOVED the Maison des Neiges hotel, up piste 7 - one of our best hotels ever!). We'll let you know what we go for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin family, If you are good skiers then Arabba is the place to be. It is cheaper than Corvara with some good hotels but with limited night life.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always had a very good experience with Colletts - comfortable without being fussy, run by enthusiastic helpful young people. Nice to support a small firm. They also do a FOC pick-up from Venice. Covara and Colfosco are great for cruisers. The Prolongia is great value and the Selle Ronda must be on any skiers 'bucket list'. The 10k red run off the Marmolada is great too - a real leg burner. Hope this helps Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Chris Bish, I don't recall corvara being especially germanic, (apart from the restaurant fare) just the usual alpine mix of folk

I saw one study that showed that visitors to the South Tyrol broke down as follows:

German 46%
Italian 37%
Swiss 5%
Austrian 3%
Others 9%

Whether this follows for any specific week of the winter season in Corvara, I'm not sure, but I reckon a lot of visitors are German-speaking and the area was once part of Austria (hence the food and architecture), but as you say quite a varied spread of other nationalities too.

When I went just after New Year, the area was full of Italians for whom Capodanno is a very popular time for a winter break.

The good thing about an area with a high proportion of German visitors is that the standards of maintenance, hygiene and service can often be higher because they won't put up with it any other way! You often get good value too, as they also refuse to pay through the nose. Italians value good food and fun over fixtures and fittings, so it makes for quite a compelling combination for any other nationalities who may be visiting and no-one stands out like a sore thumb.

I hope I haven't thrown in too many racial stereotypes there. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi,

I completely agree with your observations based on the visits I made.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do a web search for "Rottonara Apartments" as well as "Mugun". Each provides apartments in Corvara without half board etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin family, I have stayed at Colletts , good, but probably already fully booked.
A good hotel is the Hotel Table, 3 star but very good, clean, and good food. No spa or pool but good value for money.
latest report
Martin family wrote:
less keen on Arabba as although everyone skis well, we've had some more negative feedback on it.

I have stayed in Arabba many times and consider it near enough the perfect ski town - I am curious about the negative feedback have you had?

I would expect lack of rowdy night life and not ideal for beginners to be negative for some people but from your posts these would not appear to be a requirement.
latest report
Has anyone stayed in reasonably priced accommodation in Corvara. Most hotels are expensive and only for 3 people (I require room for 4).

I've checked collets, none available (next February).

Ideally would want a chalet but doesn't seem available at all.
ski holidays
We have just been to colfosco february half term and loved it. It is only 3 min gondola ride to corvara. We stayed in what i thought was a very reasonably priced b & b (mirabell). Room/bathroom a bit dated (due to be refurbished this summer) but spotlessly clean and warm with an extra small room for the children with bunkbeds and large wardrobes which they much preferred to usual option of sharing a sofa bed in our room. Location couldnt be better- just a few steps to put skis on and ski school/lifts and also a couple of mins walk to centre of Colfosco and shop/cash machine etc. Hosts were very welcoming and made us feel part of the family (although only the daughter spoke english). Breakfast was simple but good quality. I was surprised by how little english was spoken in general in the area but our children both had other english speakers in their ski school classes.
snow conditions
@Holidayqueen, thanks will have a look.
latest report
@DaiSki, you want 4 people in one room?
snow report
we've just booked residence vallon for the 3rd year for half term week.
the italians don't really do chalets but there are there are loads of apartments and loads of good places to eat.
everything seems to have pretty much gone for feb 18 but if you look through out the year there are plenty of places so i think only some places offer their rooms up now.
I think if you stay in corvara or colfosco you'll have a lovely time. I can highly recommend vallon and there is a shuttle mini bus that runs in the morning and you phone the guy up in the afternoon and he's there 5 mins later.
look at the altabadia.org website or booking.com
latest report
@Holidayqueen, re English, we were told that this wasn't taught to the older generations at school in Gröden and Alta Badia where the local kids instead supplemented their native Ladin with German and Italian.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy