Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mid layer hoody for under my shell...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm on the look out for an insulated hoody to wear as a mid-layer between my merino base and shell jacket. Should also be wind-proof to wear as an outer on nice spring skiing days.

Long sleeves and not too baggy a fit are a must. Even better if it has thumbholes in the sleeves.

Any recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
won't the hood be a complete PITA trying to fit it under a jacket or have it flapping about outside absorbing snow etc?

Better to have a microfleece layer IMHO....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have midlayers that don't have a hood. I'm looking for one with a hood that will offer some insulation against the elements when the wind & cold pick up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saw this one in Cotswold Outdoor yesterday, looked neat, not cheap though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
interesting link Colin B, but I still stand by my point that it will be PITA. I've tried putting an outer coat over a hoody when out walking the dog and don't find it comfortable at all.

What's wrong with carrying a hat? won't flap around and won't aid snow down the neck in a fall or if it's dumping!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want something nice and cosy I suggest you look for one made from Polartec Power Stretch:

http://www.polartec.com/#/comfort/power-stretch/

I suggest you avoid anything made of Windstopper which I find cold and clammy.

Some info:
http://www.mountainadventurecompany.com/index.php/eng/content/download/374/2338/file/Soft%20shells,fleece.pdf

I have one of these and it's snuggly!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 12-11-10 16:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oooo. that looks very nice Colin B, thanks for the link. even has the thumb loops and i know the brand fits me.

will have a look in their store at the weekend.

kitenski, back to the hood thing... would that not mean that all jackets with a hood are a PITA for the same reason?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly wrote:
kitenski, back to the hood thing... would that not mean that all jackets with a hood are a PITA for the same reason?

no, because the hood is already on the outside, I think by what you are proposing the hoody would be under the jacket, so you either have to tuck it inside the jacket, or have it outside, with a high ski jacket collar over it. which then will let snow in and be uncomfortable IMHO

If you have a hoody, put it on, then put your ski jacket on, maybe it's just me Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What you need is one of these:

Seriously, I have an unhooded cow version which I wear under my drysuit for kayaking, best thermal I've ever used, £8 form primark. They even double as fancy dress costumes:

wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the patagonia R1 hoody is a fleece version of what you are after but isn't windproof. it's a great bit of kit albeit quite expensive
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did have cut a pee slit into it though lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Three at silly prices imo
http://shop.packyourbags.com/acatalog/haglofs-yoyo-zip-hood-mens.html
http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Shadow-Hoodie.html
http://www.urbanrock.com/products_detail.php?CatId=149&PId=1943

More sensible prices here
http://www.spikeoutdoors.co.uk/clothing/fleece
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this looks ideal...

thanks for the links people...

clarky999, you're nuts! i like it. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

clarky999, you're nuts! i like it.

Yeah, I went as Mad Cow Disease lol
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
shoogly wrote:

no, because the hood is already on the outside, I think by what you are proposing the hoody would be under the jacket, so you either have to tuck it inside the jacket, or have it outside, with a high ski jacket collar over it. which then will let snow in and be uncomfortable IMHO

If you have a hoody, put it on, then put your ski jacket on, maybe it's just me Laughing

I'm with you, a hoody under a jacket is a right royal PITA.
snow conditions
What about this: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/snowsports-clothing/quiksilver/308020/men%27s-aker-fleece-hoodie

Good price, thumb loops, hood, tailored fit. Ticks most of the boxes, except it isn't windproof, but combined with a decent baselayer would be a pretty good combo.

Nick
ski holidays
I think I'd ditch the hood and use a hat.
snow report
Wearing a windproof as a mid layer seriously inhibits transmission of moisture to the outer breathable layer... something to be aware of.
ski holidays
I'm very happy with my Arcteryx Atom hoody which I wear under a loose fit soft shell on cold days. Keeps me warm without getting too hot. Breathability is fine with fabric side panels. Very lightweight and packs up small. I don't find the hood a PITA. It's also got enough shower and wind protection to use as a top layer on fine days. I think TNF and Patagonia do similar lightweight Primaloft products. Try one on. They are amazingly light and comfy.
ski holidays
You guys with a hood combination issue simply need to dress in the right order: hoodie on, hood up, jacket on, hood up - then the bit that may be eluding you - both hoods down together. Nice and snug on the back of your neck, cosy hood when you need it. Doing up the drawcords stops it from being a snow scoop/ wind sock.

Admittedly it works best with a jacket with a full-time (non-detachable) hood but that's my preference anyway.
snow report
sidey, I ski with a helmet on, 2 hoods are a PITA.
ski holidays
What sidey said - one hood slots into the other. I wear a hooded Primaloft jacket under a hooded hard shell on cold days and have no problems with flapping or collecting snow. And its über cosy on windy chairlift rides.
ski holidays
shoogly, I brought a great one in T K Maxx last month SOS is the make. I did not think I would wear it much but I've been wearing it most days. you never know if you try there you might get lucky.
latest report
What about a Norrona Narvik Warm 3 Zip Hood really cosy for those cold chairlift rides, has a hood and thumb loops and uses polartec thermal pro fabric.http://www.ellis-brigham.com/fleeces/norrona/339009/men's-narvik-warm-3-zip-hood
i wouldnt be without mine! wink
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
What you need is one of these:

Seriously, I have an unhooded cow version which I wear under my drysuit for kayaking, best thermal I've ever used, £8 form primark. They even double as fancy dress costumes:

wink

That is so far past creepy that I can feel my skin crawl Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Twisted Evil
snow conditions
clarky999, I'm in soll for xmas-new year hopefully. I'll meet you in brixen if you like what will you be wearing Puzzled
snow conditions
I think that week I'll probably be working in Saalbach, will have to see nearer the time though. Lol not sure it would work for skiing (unless you use a one-piece suit), but for kayaking I use a full drysuit so a nice fleecy inner suit is really useful, and most of the 'kayaking' ones are upwards of £40, so as well as looking awesome (maybe) the primark one is pretty good value!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Icebreaker power hood
snow report
Arc'teryx Atom LT....
ski holidays
sidey wrote:
You guys with a hood combination issue simply need to dress in the right order: hoodie on, hood up, jacket on, hood up - then the bit that may be eluding you - both hoods down together. Nice and snug on the back of your neck, cosy hood when you need it. Doing up the drawcords stops it from being a snow scoop/ wind sock.

sounds entirely reasonable to me... had a look at the narrona one at the weekend. it's very nice, but a tad expensive. Got a wee while to get sorted, but i am going to proceed with the plan, no matter what the doubters say Very Happy
ski holidays
shoogly, peak performance do some nice mid layer hoodies, that can be worn on their own
snow report
Looks like clarky999 was ahead of the times http://www.onepiece.co.uk/

They're even pimping these at S&R Shocked
snow report
that's my christmas present right there
snow report
Arno, post pics please Toofy Grin
latest report
shoogly, weirdly, I now have 3 mid layer fleece hoodies (bought the 3rd 'cos I'd forgotten I'd bought the 1st. . . read the sig. rolling eyes ) The Reebok one is the nicest but it's made as US football clothing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy