Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strengthening exercises.

Poster: A snowHead
I am comtemplating some kind of fitness regime before I go skiing in January/February. I'm not joining a gym or owt so the program needs to be something I can do around the house (Running up and down stairs or so forth) or garden.

So can anyone of you damned fine experts give me some ideas as to what I can do to rectify my lack of strength/fitness thus ensuring a more enjoyable sliding experience.

By the way, I'm not a fan of physical exercise at all. If the routine recommended can still involve me holding a can and having a fag, it would be most appreciated. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
do some cardio, walk, run, cycle...that will build up your fitness

Try 10 x pressups, 10 x burpees, 10xsquats, 10xsquat jumps - repeat each 'circuit' 5 times - this will help with leg strength
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you kitenski.

With the weather we are having at the moment, I don't much fancy the walking, running, cycling suggestions but I know I will have to do something sooner rather than later. Last couple of times I've been have been murder, particularly on the legs. Perhaps that is normal, even for someone who is much stronger and fitter than me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Last couple of times I've been have been murder, particularly on the legs. Perhaps that is normal, even for someone who is much stronger and fitter than me.

It's fairly "normal" but absolutely not necessary. Apart from doing some strengthening exercises - always a good idea - the key to avoiding that "thigh burn" (if that's what you're having) is proper technique. If you stand properly and don't hang the entire weight of your body off those muscles, they'll be much happier. So invest in some good private lessons as well as some exercises.

Core strength is important. Do "planks". As here http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/plank.htm but side planks and hamstring bridges also good (plenty of info and videos online if you google.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's hard to motivate yourself when it's such horrible weather outside. While you're watching TV, stand and flex your legs to strengthen your thigh muscles. Also try putting one leg out behind you and both hands in front, with your weight on your heels. This should work the top of your hamstring, which is good for skiing! Running up and down stairs is good for cardio. If you can do some core strengthening, sit ups and so on this would benefit lots. Your core is used massively in skiing. Anything is better than nothing, good luck!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
xspleetive wrote:
If the routine recommended can still involve me holding a can and having a fag, it would be most appreciated. Toofy Grin

I'm liking your style.. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I discovered just this evening that skipping is a fantastic cardio workout that can obviously be done almost anywhere, with the added benefit of strengthening muscles somewhere in the leg (if only i could remember what the physio had said)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vandarle, Bit difficult to achieve without spilling your drink though wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xspleetive, use your stairs for cardio, walk up/walk down 1 at a time, repeat 2 at a time, jog up/jog down, go up sideways to the right, then to the left, etc. Try and build up to 15 mins or so. Do this holding open can of beer for added core stability work.
For strength, alternate legs 1 day with core the next. For legs, do circuits of squats, lunges and hamstring exercise (eg lie on floor, heel of one foot on chair, raise hips off ground.) At the end of each circuit, balance on 1 leg with eyes shut for as long as poss, can include drinking &smoking for extra challenge. For core, do circuits of crunches/reverse crunches/bicycle crunches/back raises and add planks/side plank holds at the end of each circuit.

Then don't forget that hangovers are excellent simuation for altitude effects, so indulge fully in the knowledge you're preparing your body for the rigours of a ski hol
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love the image of someone standing on one leg with eyes closed, can of beer in one hand, fag hanging out of the mouth. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Laughing Laughing I can't believe you haven't suggested adding the ironing into the mix... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nooooo - ironing is for beding in new boots, takes a while to get the board at the right height but once done away you go!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stop using lifts and walk up and down the stairs when shopping or at work etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BillyJohnn wrote:
Nooooo - ironing is for beding in new boots, takes a while to get the board at the right height but once done away you go!
Don't forget the wobble-board/Bosu ball!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
xspleetive, The solution is to go skiing for 2 weeks minumum, you can have a day off when you get knackered and by the second week you will skied your legs into shape.
snow report
Bosu ball is awesome turn it upside down and do squats on it, great for balance and to get the burn,
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, Also, jump squats onto the Bosu and off.
xspleetive, I think you do need to structure a bit of an exercise routine. I have a 4 circuits - abs circuit, push circuit, pull circuit, legs circuit. I do each circuit for 5 mins, then repeat the lot for 2 mins. For the leg circuit I do 16 lunges (swapping legs for each lunge), 16 squats, 16 swap overs (sort of jumping you legs back and forwards - like scissors), 8 jump squats. Repeat as many times as you can in 5 mins. Exercises for the buttocks are also a good idea as these will also help with balance.
snow report
erica2004, and jump on it up when it's upside down I've learnt to love it with my knee rehab Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I can highly recommend proper strength training (ie free weights with a barbell), but people will look at you funny in the gym doing something actually relevant to real life. Google stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe if you actually want to improve strength, but it takes effort. Please don't fart around with bosu balls, and bodyweight excercises aren't unreasonable but have a pretty low ceiling for useful improvement.

Learning to ski is an excellent partner to the above...
ski holidays
Quote:

a pretty low ceiling for useful improvement.

but most of us would probably be quite happy to reach that ceiling and the OP just wants to ski around on holiday without getting knackered.
snow report
Yeah, but you'd improve by jumping on the spot until exhaustion every day too - doesn't make it a good use of your time.
snow conditions
DaveC, People need to be able to push/pull/lift their own bodyweight before tackling heavier weights. (imo)
snow report
erica2004, why? Flexibility issues aside, there are light enough free weights in the world to allow them to be used as load for any free weight excercise - even if you have to start off squatting a broomstick rather than barbell, or whatever, linear gains are possible in even the weakest of people, and making them stronger can't be a bad idea.
latest report
OP if you are going skiing at the beginning of Feb you need to be doing ski specific exercises. You say you are not a fitness fan, so you really need to book your flight and ski for the next two and a half months ..... skiing all day followed by a skinful every night .... never fails....
alternatively you can try these....
http://youtube.com/v/EHd3kG8wZeI&NR=1
snow conditions
Thank you one and all. Most helpful.

Like I'd said, the weather ain't great for outside exercises so the running up and down stairs interspersed with squats/press-ups/sit-ups suggested sound like the best choices. Just after I posted this, I found an article in a paper that suggested this exact same thing only with rests inbetween. It apparently helps something that I can't remember cos my wife through the article away Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

Anyways, thank you all again. Will be getting started on this regime in the not too distant. Was gonna wait till after Christmas to start but fear I may not be able to move after all the food/drink consumed.
snow report
xspleetive, maybe the article was about the "tabata training". High intensity intervals for 20 seconds then 10 second rest and do it at least 8 times. Usually popular with squats etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training + lots of movies on you tube etc.

You can use tabata timers/clock from the net: http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
or there are also free apps for iphnes/ipod touch
snow report
Quote:

Will be getting started on this regime in the not too distant.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

you first posted on 12 November!
ski holidays
xspleetive wrote:
By the way, I'm not a fan of physical exercise at all. If the routine recommended can still involve me holding a can and having a fag, it would be most appreciated. Toofy Grin

These three things are all you need .....

Balance / Strength (it's called a BOSU)
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/11-07/1112bosu.jpg

Smoking
http://members.shaw.ca/dryblog/201008cgrthld.jpg

Drinking
http://www.drinkstuff.com/productimg/22617_large.jpg

More about the BOSU ....
http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BOSU/story.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Need to know if they sell the drinking hat it in any other colours? Pink just wouldn't suit.
latest report
Mohawk .......
http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mohawk-drink-hat.jpg

http://www.drinkingstuff.com/images/DrinkingStuff/BeerHatsandBelts/DS21911/mohawk_img.jpg
snow conditions
xspleetive, What's wrong with pink? Toofy Grin

latest report
Hmmmm, now you mention it, there doesn't seem to be that much wrong with it at all. Pinky
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy