Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski's & Servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Very Happy

I have been loitering around these forums quite a lot since discovering snowheads a month back or so, very informative place! Thought it was about time i made my first thread, hopefully this isnt too much of a daft question!

Basically, after doing some reading on here, I have seen talk of having new skis serviced/waxed before their first use. I never realised this was necessary before and is this a general rule for all new ski's? I assume it's just waxing that is required or do the edges need some attention as well?

I was thinking about taking them to Beans in Bicester or maybe EB (think the MK store has a workshop?) unless anyone has other recommendations within reasonable distance of oxfordshire? DIYing it isn't really on my radar at the moment and with just one pair and the amount i get to use them (2 weeks ish per season plus occasional blast in the dome(s)) I think its easier just to have it done for me.

Cheers

Gareth
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never serviced a pair of my skis if they are brand new... personally don't see the point the factory wax is fine for the first few days, sometimes needs a top up mid week with just a hot wax. my last pair of skis i bought have seen 3 weeks use and still no service and the base still isn't dry,should really get round to doing that anyway but still.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
H Gareth,

I hot wax every new ski we sell usually with toko molybdenum low fluoro wax.

Sometimes new skis have a good covering of wax, sometimes not. So we do it as standard now.

Dan you lazy git!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ohh yeah the tips and tails on some skis need dulling a little. This depends on the type of ski and level of the skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Garethb82, the wax on skis from the factory is just a top coat , it will soon be off and the bases will have little or no protection and will not have good gliding properties. I wax, sharpen etc all our skis and when new , will wax the skis for about 5 days , i.e brush out the base and apply a hot wax , put the ski in a warm room , we use the utility room , keeps the wax slightly softer and helps the bases absorb more of the wax. Scrape off the next day , brush out and repeat for a few days. It doesn't take long (10 mins per day) and by the end of the week your bases will be perfect and super fast.
Some might say overkill , but at 4 to 500 hundred pound a pair , there definately worth looking after.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Garethb82, Why not contact Spyderjon, he can do a new ski prep including a hot box treatment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier

I was thinking about Spyderjon, but its a little bit of a trek to Nottingham. I think if needed a proper repair/servicing job he is clearly the man to see but for this I was thinking a local shop would do the job alright?

Scot Ski

Agree they are definitely worth looking after, these are only the 2nd pair I have owned and at £500 I want to keep them in optimum condition!

Thanks all for the responses, appreciated!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garethb82, I have taken my skis to Beans in Bicester 3 times a season for the past 4 years and can highly recommend them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garethb82, I suppose its a bit of a trek.
Jon did a hot box ion my skis, I know I only travelled from Manchester, but it was well worth the effort.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski simon wrote:
Ohh yeah the tips and tails on some skis need dulling a little. This depends on the type of ski and level of the skier.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No? really, explain
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski simon, its all to do with the shape of a carver, this explains it far better than I can http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/19/34/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski simon, I know its bad when you have access to a fully equipped work shop ain't it! I may treat them to a wax this season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Garethb82, i'd recommend Spyderjon but like you say it's a fair trek. Maybe you can give him a call and maybe buy his DVD. I saw him about 6 months ago for his tuning lesson and left having bought all the kit to service my skis.

Personally I think if you've invested in skis, invest in the kit to keep them in good condition. You wouldn't buy a bike a not buy oil for the chain right ....

Kersh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Garethb82, Maybe start the waxing yourself first, use a stone to take any dings out the edges and gradually start getting diamond files and guides. I use cheap vices from Aldi and they've done me proud for many years.
snow report
Hey Gareth,

We don’t normally advertise as we don't want to get in the stereotypical commercial ratrace but I noticed that you are literally only down the road from us.

We race tune the skis for the GB Junior Alpine Race Team and also a couple of guys on the World Cup Circuit, but also as a side line (when we are not too busy) we also carry out servicing on recreational skis as well.

Our base is around 15 minutes out of Banbury towards Daventry.

Check out this link for more info > www.edge2win.co.uk
Also we are on Facebook, just put a search in for Edge2Win.

Hope to speak to you soon buddy,
Tony.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy