Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ucpa off piste courses agentiere chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all was just wondering if anybody has any experiance of either the full time off piste instruction course or the off piste freeride course ? if you have perhaps you could give me some kind of idea of your level before you attended and how you found the instruction level for either of these (I'm fairly sure the freeride course is more guiding with only a small amount of instruction? but I could be wrong!) Thanks in advance for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68761#1631060
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extract from Action Outdoors website - Off-Piste Freeride Full-Time Guiding. Hopefully we'll get some replies from practical experience, I think those 2 blokes who posted on the other thread were of a very high standard. On reflection I could easily meet the level requirement below so I am leaning towards guiding now. It might be useful to re-post this on the bend ze knees section.

Personal Skill & Technique – developing your existing off piste skills into steeper slopes, narrow couloirs and heavily glaciated terrain.
Mountain Skills – this is all about being safe on the mountains. How to read snow conditions, assess avalanche risks, how to navigate, make sense of the weather forecasts and what they mean to skiers. You’ll spend time practicing with transceivers, to ensure that if the worst happens you have the skills to deal with it. There is the opportunity to learn about crevasse awareness & rescue techniques.
For many people the best thing about these courses is the local knowledge of the instructor. He or she knows the ski area intimately and will always be able to find the best conditions. You will be very off piste – expect to be on slopes with no other groups in sight. This most often involves a short hike at the start or the end of the run. On some of the routes an abseil (or rappel) may be required to access the slope.
All equipment is provided - Skis & Boots – mostly Rossignol as they are a partner of UCPA. Half of the skis are replaced each year meaning that the equipment is all up to date and in good order. You will also be given a harness, transceiver (ARVA), shovel & probe for the week. Personal clothing is not provided. You will be given a lift pass for the whole week when you arrive.

Levels
You are already a fairly accomplished off piste skier, competent in all snow conditions on moderate slopes. You have a good level of personal fitness and have no problems making a short 45 minute hike to get to the best slopes.
Itinerary
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adventureontheriverbank, if you decide to book, use the discount code SP2010 and you'll get £10 off the advertsied price on the Action Outdoors website - I know its not much, but then UCPA holidays are such good value already, but think of the discount as a fellow snowhead buying you a couple of beers Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarep, are you getting a kickback whenever anyone uses that code?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a £10 kickback perhaps? Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adventureontheriverbank, I've been to 3 UCPA centres and did the off-piste course at each one - Chamonix, Serre Che and Flaine. (see the other thread for experience levels and how they choose a group for you.)

I didn't receive any tuition on any of them. Just guiding. I'm not sure what happens in the off-piste beginners groups.

By far the most enjoyable for me was Serre Chevalier where I did a programme called Grandes Traces. (translated as big tracks I think). We were off-piste in Serre Che for the first 2 days then, each of the other mornings, we would jump in the minibus and head off to La Grave, Montgenevre or Puy Saint Vincent looking for the best snow.

Whichever one you choose, there will be a group that's right for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy