Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Saslong B run in Selva - how difficult?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at an apartment a snowball's throw away from the Granvara Relais & Spa Hotel, which is near the Saslong gondola station in St. Cristina.

Hotel map here http://www.granvara.com/?pagid=1&lang=eng, Google map here http://tinyurl.com/252na4v.

The Saslong B run seems to pass by very close. So my question, as an intermediate (and Mrs idlehands as a low intermediate, though we have skiied the Sella Ronda both directions), is just how difficult is the Saslong B? Not just the bit from the hotel down to the gondola, but from top to bottom. I understand Saslong A is the men's World Cup run and that B is supposed to 'only' be a red. Is it really an 'Italian red'?

My concern is that the hotel is a bit of a hike from the town and we want to avoid taxis, so if we can ski from/to the place each day that could clinch it.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neither route is particularly steep, but it does seem a long way! I wouldn't let it put you off - Italian slopes are not a steep for their colour as French in my view.

If there is a gondola down, why not use that if you have had enough of the Sella Ronda's magnificent scenery for the day?

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its a bit of a leg burner if you hussle it, but generally its not that steep nor narrow, theres harder turns elsewhere on the sella, so if you've done that it shouldn't be a problem, think the steepest part is into the lift area, where its wide and plenty of run off straight to a bar. Also you'll be well placed for Col rasier /ortezi and Alp di susie which are great for intermediates
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
idlehands, if you've done the Sella Ronda both ways, it's no steeper than the run off the top of Arabba.

The red B isn't as steep as the black B, but attracts more traffic, so can be busier and more cut up.

I was a bit hesitant of the A run, but it wasn't that bad, a few steepish pitches at the top and through the middle section but all quite wide and traversable.

I think Erica on here stayed at the Granvara last year IIRC, might be worth a PM.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both are tiring rather than particularly scary. Last day of the season thisyear my 10 year old had to srop and shout "hurry up Dad!" at me on the "A", my knees and fitness are not what they were. We were the only people on the piste Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanksidlehands, I was going to ask the same question.

Can anyone tell me about the Col Raiser area? We are staying in Selva (again!) and want to explore a bit more than we did before. If we go up the Ciampanoi and down the Sasslong (B!) how do we get to Col Raiser?

Thanks,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a funicular over the otherside at the end of piste from the bottom of the sasslong, then a gondola after that.

If theres good snow in resort, you can actually ski along the river as theres a snow covered path down to the coach car park in St Christina
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is simpler than it looks. Right opposite the end of the Sasslong there is an underground type station. There are trains that link you with the Col Raiser area, and very nice it is too. I'm told that the 10km run down to Ortisei is very nice, but not done it myself. Looking forward to exploring that area more when we are based at San Christina (Edit: got mixed up. I mean San Cassiano.) in March. Also want to get over to the Alpes de Suisi (know as the alps of raw fish in our house!) which should be possible from where we are going to be.

The delight of the area centered on the Sella Ronda is that the possibilities are ever-expanding.

snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-11-10 12:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah the run down to Ortisei is nice and Alpes de Suisi worth a day out bit of a schlepp through Ortisei but nice crusiey pistes for inters and a decent park and pipe aswell
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, I did the run in Feb this year. From memory the top bit is steeper and narrower (sections with netting at cliff edges) but it was pretty quiet and pretty long. Somewhere along the way there was a frozen waterfall. See the picture below.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 12-11-10 14:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The run down to Ortisei is very nice and the run from Seceda down to Col Raiser is possibly my favourite piste ever Little Angel

Check out the width, its on both sides of the chairlift, very fast without being too difficult.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-11-10 17:05; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike3000, delete the delete-slash at the start. Should be [img].......
Also delete the [img] before the final[/img]

Edit: No, I just tried it, it is still wrong. mine all end in .jpg [/img], don't yours?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
Mike3000, delete the delete-slash at the start. Should be [img].......
Also delete the [img] before the final[/img]

[img]http://www.pbase.com/mike3000/image/122264090[/img]

Thanks but it says [img] at the start on my screen? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that frozen waterfall is beautiful!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I give up, I don't know what's wrong.

Your first attempt still starts [/img] on my screen - but that doesn't fix it.
snow conditions
Mike3000, Some photos of Seceda for you from my trip in Feb 2009

ski holidays
Delicious pictures. Seems like such a long time till March though!

snowHead
ski holidays
Say Hi to Werner at the Coruna Hutte (back of Seceda). The best grub in the valley. wink
snow report
[quote="pokemon"]Mike3000, Some photos of Seceda for you from my trip in Feb 2009

Fantastic pictures, they really bring back the memories.

I have to get this picture on display though. Its become a matter of principle wink

[img][/img]
snow conditions
Hi - yes we stayed at the Granvara last year - and we're going back the last week of Jan 2011. It was easy to pick up the Saslong in the morning. Returning wasn't so easy - you have to take a run off the Saslong and do a bit of cross country stomping for 10 minutes to get back to the hotel. The run got a bit icy last year because they were preparing it for the men's downhill. Finally they shut the run and thereafter we left our skis in Selva and walked to and from the hotel. The skiing there is fabulous.
ski holidays
Mike3000, It's hard to take a bad photo with scenery like that snowHead
ski holidays
The lovely photos are whetting my appetite too, I hope I can get back to the Dolomites this season!

Here's my contribution to the picfest!

SASLONG A, not too steep!:

Nice view of Seceda area from the Daniel hut, lovely long sweeping run from top down to Col Raiser gondola

Looking back at the terrace of the Daniel hut:

The run off the back down through Val d'Anna to Ortisei is spectacular too:

http://www.valdanna.com/eng/inverno.html

Best wishes to all who are heading out that way this season, looks like there has been some early snowfall:

http://www.val-gardena.com/en/plan-de-gralba/page97.html
ski holidays
I don't think that I'm gonna make it to the 'valley' this season. Sad 6 month recovery on this bicep tendon rupture. rolling eyes
latest report
Mollerski, Bad news! Sad

Mollerski wrote:
bicep tendon rupture.

Sounds painful, I hope that's not your drinking arm! wink
snow report
luigi wrote:
Mollerski, I hope that's not your drinking arm! wink

It is, but I have a spare. wink
snow conditions
thanks papasmurf, Chris Bish, Mike3000, Mollerski, I'm dead excited about yet another new area that's fairly close at hand.

Chris Bish, we were a little disappointed with Alpe de Suisi. Compared to the other areas around Selva/Sella Ronda we'd been to, we found it a bit bland. We enjoyed the run through the woods from the Ciampanoi, towards Alpe di Suisi, that was nice. We were a group of 4 with 5+ weeks skiing.

We are heading out 15th January and really looking forward to it. Thanks for the photos everyone - they really whet the appetite.
ski holidays
Brilliant stuff, Snowheads - thanks for the replies, photos and tips. March can't come quickly enough!

Very Happy
ski holidays
That La Longia down to Orteisi is possibly one of my favourite ever runs - it is truely beautiful and wondrful that you can go the full 10k without having to schlep up a lift Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year over at Marmolada, the 12 km run from the top of the glacier to Malga Ciapela without a single lift was awesome. So we'll be sure to head up to La Longia rapidamente the first sunny day we get!
snow conditions
I found this
http://youtube.com/v/6QNI_EqVX3Y

No Italian required Very Happy
snow report
That's not me and the missus, btw!
snow conditions
A bit of video from this years little jaunt, the first couple of scenes are from the first drop on Sasslonga B, and was taken around 9.30, no one around. We went down with a girl who was on her 3rd week skiing, and it's ok if you take your time and traverse. There are some scenes from Seceda, truly awesome bit of mountain. We are returning Christmas and February half term, the skiing is so good, not worth thinking about anywhere else snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/_zBKucHkS9Q
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy