Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which do you prefer? Plastic Fantastic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Just wondering which ones of you out there use the plastic?

Which surfaces do you use?

What are the pros?

What are the negatives?

Please comment by experience not grape vine.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Humble_Ry, I used the local plastic just before my first skiing holiday. I fractured my thumb and detached the ligament. I was lucky I made the holiday. I've never skied on it again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My OH dislocated his little finger in Gloucester. In Swadlincote he stabbed himself in the calf muscle with a stick. In Darvel he skied right off the mat one night. That wasn't too unusual but because that night it was very frosty he kept going across the grass and disappeared out of the floodlights. There was what seemed like a long wait..... then a crash and a string of foul oaths.

Can't say I'm a fan!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowflex is prefferable for freestyle

The pros are that you no more likely to pick up the aforemented injuries on it than on snow and it is actually pretty soft to land on making it good for learning tricks. The cons are that it doesn't mimick snow particulaly well, you can skid turns easily but can't really carve.

Dendex is better for normal skiing

The pros are that it can hold a carve really well. The cons are that it f***ing hurts to fall on. Saying that I have fallen on it several times and never had the famous 'hillend thumb'. The trick is to keep holding your pole or keep you hand in a fist as you go down and then you can't break or dislocate your fingers.

Dryslope is great for off season practice, although it does favour wintry conditions and you have to accept that its never going to be a 35 degree powder field.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Broke a hand on dendix at Hemel many years ago - and it really hurts to fall on.

Given you live in swadlincote I guess you are pretty close to plastic - but also only 30 minutes from Tamworth...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A vote in favour of Dryslopes from me - but then I don't have an indoor snow slope close by! Sad

Agree with rambotion, that Dendex is much better for "normal" skiing i.e. holding an edge and carving. Because of that I spend most time on the Dendex but occasionally stray onto the snowflex for a change. If you're more into freestyle snowflex is better for confidence building when learning tricks.

Personally don't really bother going until well into Autumn, when with the colder evenings it starts to run really well and you get more speed up, but a lot of people use it all year round.

The concensus on dry slope skiing is that it is good for sharpening technique, and you will notice the improvement when you get back on snow (as soon as you get over the initial surprise of how much more slippery the real stuff is!). However, like with skiing on snow, it's a good idea to have lessons on it if you are struggling or want to improve.

The only negative for Dendex (IMHO) is, as well documented in this and previous threads, it can hurt if you fall - as I can testify when I managed to sprain both thumbs a few years back. However, no pain, no gain as they say and like falling off a bike it's best to get straight back on and get your confidence back. Once you've got your confidence and you commit to your turns, in my experience you're much less likely to fall anyway.

Dryslopes are cheaper to use than an indoor slope which has got to be a factor if you intend to use it once or twice a week. And it is great skiing outdoors!

If the dryslope is the only convenient option then it's gotta be better than not skiing at all. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's late but I must point out the correct spelling of dendix...even though everyone says "dendex".

Ahh...I can now sleep easy!!! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes I actually work for Swadlincote Ski Centre as the Head of Ski School, John Nike who owns our slope also produces Perma-snow, however we are always looking to develop it further. Thank you for your feedback any more would be great.

I appreciate all aspects of dry slopes, taught on all types of matting in the UK, i like to plump for the line, be adaptable and learn to ski on everything.

Would you guys agree then that.

Snowflex is number 1 for freestyle and moulded/ features on slopes - like moguls?

Diamond Matt is number 1 for general skiing including racing.

Obviously indoor snow is probably prefered by most but the cost and availabilty across the UK make it a little harder to regularly use the fridges?

When skiing on Snowflex, Perma-snow and diamond matt are you aware of any changes in your technique or is it subtle change?

Sorry for all the rabbitting.

Thanks again for your help.

Plastic Fantasique
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have a choice go to a snowdome! A diamond mat is a health hazzard with digits at risk!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dendix all the way. It does hurt when you fall badly, so either learn to fall properly or don't fall!

Indoor snow is fine, but too busy and much too expensive for regular use, and they get upset when you want to put slalom gates up. Also the view for spectators is generally cr*p - a key reason why we don't do the indoor races.

Not skied snowflex/perma-snow much, but when I have have always always have difficulty holding a decent edge: like skiing on ice.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 11-11-10 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ripped my forearms to shreds wiping out at Becton Alps in about 1989... very bloody bus ride home to Putney. Haven't skied the nasty plastic since wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It's late but I must point out the correct spelling of dendix...even though everyone says "dendex".

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64456&start=400#1625858

wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

When skiing on Snowflex, Perma-snow and diamond matt are you aware of any changes in your technique or is it subtle change?

Yes ! Dendix - subtle edge change, careful pressure management

Carpets...flat skis, really careful pressure management - really hate it to ski on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Six years ago, I decided to have a go at slalom on dendix - here's the report.

Not been back on the stuff since.....in spite of various suggestions to the contrary Embarassed

I have skied on snowflex but, in spite of the fall, dendix is the better IMHO.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy