Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Qualifications

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey guys,
looking to work a season in NZ 2011. does anyone know about getting jobs and how easy it is? i am from the UK.
also, i have been asked by a friend if i wanna do a CSIA level 1 - would this be enough to work as an instructor in NZ?
thanks, Joe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would think that CSIA 1 will be too low a qualification (lots of people want limited jobs in the Southern Hemisphere winter). Search around though, there's been a few threads on this fairly recently.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joelittlehales, getting a full time (or possibly even part time) job before you even have a qualification or any experience might be challenging. If you qualify for a working holiday visa and have enough money to support yourself you could do your instructor qualifcation whilst there and hopefully get some work at peak times. Alternatively you could try and get non-instructing jobs and train for your exams at the same time?

What's your priority - becoming an instructor or season in NZ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are not already qualified and working, you're probably going to find it tough to get a job in NZ instructing, like impossible. Where I work, they have changed their hiring policies a little bit so there is more of a spread of instructor levels, but still almost everyone has experience and quals of some kind.

Jobs in other areas can also be a bit tough to find, but if you head down there in late May/early June, before the season starts, with a working holiday visa and some cash to keep you going, you'll find something. I'd advise buying a pass first as they are much cheaper ahead of time (around feb/march) and not all jobs supply them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The resorts near Wanaka/Queestown all pretty much want to see ISIA, your best bet is to try to get on a rookie course. Or get work else where!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
okay, thanks guys.
my priority would be to just be there for a season, so i guess that trying to find a job non-instructing would be the best idea.. any ideas about becoming a liftie?
if not, my friends did find some random jobs in queenstown and went skiing/snowboarding in their time off.
so thanks again, i figured that it would probably be unfeasible but i just want maximum usage of my new K2 kung fujas!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be a lifty (which I wouldn't really advise btw), apply on the mountain websites, apps will probably open sometime in the New year. Remarks + Coronet are www.nzski.com, you might also want to apply for Cardrona and Treble Cone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Queenstown is an awesome place to spend a season - i did the 2009 season there, i would recommend the place to anyone.

My advice for anyone heading to Queenstown would be to buy an early bird season pass and try and get work in the town - ideally evening restaurant work. I cleaned dishes in a kitchen and the way shifts worked i had 4/5 days a week free to ski and free food anytime i worked!
Try and avoid working for either of the mountains (Coronet or Remarks) if you can. You get lift pass etc free with the job, which sounds great but in reality the mountains get that busy, you get very little time to use it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh cool
thanks guys - will avoid work for mountains and look in queenstown for employment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive got a friend thats jut done two season in Queenstown, and he highly recomends it. Hes allready done 7 season in Vail, so kows his stuff. Hes stayed through the sumer as well, and had no probs getting work as a lif guard off ski season. The summer mountain biking i top clas as well, so plenty to do Smile

Lots of info on coures here www.icesi.org
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy