Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advise please greatly appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
i would greatly appreciate some advise please
i would like to take my family wife 43 son 11 daughter 10 and myself 43 first time skiing 12 december

my question is because we are more interested in just messing about in the snow and sledging and maybe walking what would you advise on the following

1.accomadation is important and i would like a private chalet ski horizon seem to have good deals any views on them

2.can you hire skis there and passes by the day

3.clothing as its our first time do we have to buy all ski gear we all have warm waterproof coats gloves ect

4.where would you go if you wanted snow at our accomadation

all advice appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi matt, I saw some "snow activity" deals as opposed to skiing deals on activitybreaks.com. I booked with them 3 years ago for my first ever ski trip and they were very helpful.

Depending on your preference, you can :
1 hire ski clothing from Edge2Edge.co.uk and buy some decent stuff next trip once you know you're into it. works out pants and jacket at £29 for the whole set for 12 days.
2 hit TX Maxx, Lidl (Ski stuff in store THUR 11/11/10), Aldi, Decathlon and buy cheapish gear from there. Someone said you can deck out an entire Lidl kit for £79. Check the thread in Equipment section stickied "newbie gear for the tight fisted" NehNeh
3 hit Ellis Bingham with your shotgun in your trench coat. Happy days Toofy Grin

If it's just 2 adults and 2 children, would you consider studio apartments instead? it may open up more options for you.

Remember if it's your first time to check for ski school recommendations. There are a few wise snowheads on the forums somewhere..

I've always hired skis near the resort but prebooked online first to save a few bob. You can just google "ski hire yourskiresort" or again ask for recommendation on the forum.

Lastly, don't forget your board games for the chalet. Anyone for a game of Jenga? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First where are you going? Which resort, which station in resort are you interested in or does it really not matter? With this info much easier for someone to answer with specific details. Otherwise can only give helpful tips really.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 8-11-10 18:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
matthewhoopla, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead Be prepared to waste (sorry - lucratively spend and enjoy....) lots of time here over the coming months

12th December is VERY early - some resorts won't even be open then and you will need to go high to have any kind of guaranteed snow - this in turn may also mean pretty bleak, so not perhaps the nicest introduction to skiing. Is there a reason for those dates?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-11-10 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
matthewhoopla, welcome to Snowheads. You'll get lots and lots of advice. In some ways that's a very good week to go - because it's before the main season starts and you can get some bargains. But the reason it's before the main season is that there is often very little snow that early in December, and most resorts will be closed till the following weekend.

So you'll have a narrow choice of resorts where there's a realistic likelihood of snow - though in some cases there would be snow up high, but possibly not down where the accommodation is. But the slopes will be quiet, and with luck you could find great conditions.

One vital thing is to get yourselves good lessons - it will make the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Anywhere you will go you will have no problem hiring gear.

There's a thread somewhere about the basic clothing essentials - someone cleverer than me will link you to it. Also look at the current thread about Lidl - some great bargains there; doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Pick the right place, and you'll all have a ball!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
matthewhoopla, another question - what do you mean by a "private chalet"? An apartment you rent and cater for yourselves (entire chalets will cost oodles) or a "catered chalet" where meals are provided. The latter can make for a very good introduction to skiing, and the people who run chalets can often be very helpful about other aspects of the holiday.

Here's one example, chosen at random just about, but high enough that snow is pretty likely. http://www.igluski.com/les-arcs-2000/chalet-panda_p20458?holidayid=27676281

Some resorts which start early (e.g. Tignes, St Anton) might not be very suitable for beginners.

If you could go mid-January you'd have vastly more choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used SkiHorizon on a number of occaisions and I quite like them, mainly because they do seem to have some amazing deals, but remember that a lot of their deals are to smaller resorts and also a lot are accomodation only. Although you'll get cheap flights at that time of year, car hire in Europe is expensive.

At this time of year you're running a risk of lack of snow, so if you are booking now, then choose a resort which is above 1800m. If your main reason for going is messing about in the snow then the size of resort is not that important so look at height first. In all ski resorts you can get daily (or even half day) passes and equipment hire.

As for clothing, if you've got warm coats hats etc, the only addition I would go for is some cheap ski trousers, as suggested by others Lidl, Aldi, Ebay etc are all good sources. They're brilliant even if you just want to mess around in the snow.

Finally, if it was me going this early, I would wait and go for a late deal, you'll have plenty of choice, but best of all, you can choose a resort based on where the snow is.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I would wait and go for a late deal

good idea.

Remember that ski resorts have people desperate to sell you stuff - so if you do find a few gaps in your equipment armoury, you will be able to fill them (albeit not as cheaply as you could in Lidl).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
matthewhoopla,
Agree with everything written above but in answer to:
Quote:

2.can you hire skis there and passes by the day

You can rent skis and boots in resort for virtually any period but there will be significant savings in renting for the entire week and often by booking over the internet in advance with companies such as ski set.

Lift passes are expensive and can be purchased by the day but if you are going for a week a weekly ticket is much cheaper if needed.
As a beginner though most ski resorts will offer a limited area pass that is suitable for beginners at a greatly reduced price, some will have a few beginner lifts that are free.
Many ski schools will offer a package of limited area lift pass, equipment and lessons at a very reasonable price.
This earely in the year there are lots of resorts which will offer alll of the above and accommodation in a package at a very reasonable price meaning that you only have to get to and from the resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

weekly ticket is much cheaper

I've not found that's always the case, actually. But it does save hassle, and decision-making. "It's just stopped snowing, we could go out for an hour, but is it worth buying a pass just for an hour, dither, dither, dither".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For Tignes, for example, one day costs 44.50 and 6 days costs 222.50. So if you "lose" a day (because you want to do something different, or the weather closes in) you're no better off with a 6 day pass, and if you are only going to ski 4 days it's better to buy passes daily.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
matthewhoopla wrote:
my question is because we are more interested in just messing about in the snow and sledging and maybe walking what would you advise on the following

That's what we said Laughing and I don't remember ever getting time to go for a walk. Skied all day and crashed out after sledging most evenings Very Happy

For our first trip, we borrowed as much as we could and hired gear for youngest and salopettes for me. Even if you don't ski, you will find the gear comfortable and useful, especially if you go sledging or snowshoeing. My one big mistake was bringing wellies for apres ski for the boys - they simply weren't warm enough even with ski socks (OH and myself brought our walking boots which the kids didn't have at the time and they were fine). So if you can get snowboots for the kids (you can get them reasonably cheap somewhere like Decathlon).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi! Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I believe this is the link pam w, mentioned http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621&highlight=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get good enough coats/salopettes very cheaply from places like Millets and so on, but one bit of kit you should not scrimp on is your kids gloves. Cold and numb fingers = misery and tears. Goggles are also a good idea, snow blowing into little eyes unsuprisingly also = misery and tears.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it sounds from comments elsewhere that the Lidl gloves are good value.
latest report
and we haven't mentioned T K Maxx - all my gloves, for years now, have come from T K Maxx. My favourite pair is a good 6 years old, still warm and going strong.
snow report
Quote:

For Tignes, for example, one day costs 44.50 and 6 days costs 222.50. So if you "lose" a day (because you want to do something different, or the weather closes in) you're no better off with a 6 day pass, and if you are only going to ski 4 days it's better to buy passes daily.

Tignes has several free lifts for beginners. In my first week on skis there I only needed to buy a pass for the very last day. Of course others may progress more quickly Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
and we haven't mentioned T K Maxx - all my gloves, for years now, have come from T K Maxx. My favourite pair is a good 6 years old, still warm and going strong.

Aye TKMaxx is ace, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff a wee bit though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy