Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

9000 pairs of ski were stolen in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I have found this article on Salzburg news site.

I knew that you have to watch your equipment all the time when you are on the slopes, but the number of the stolen skis shocked me.
9000 pairs of ski were stolen last season in the country which I trust the most in terms of security of my equipment.
If you count 90 snowy days in a season, it means that 100 pairs of ski are stolen a day.
The possible methods of catching the thieves is discussed in the article. For example, Schladming is installing a video monitoring systems.
Cameras are installed at every lift entry and exit and by ski racks at the moutain restaurants.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
9 (or would that be 18?) skiing millipedes never thought I'd see the day, but they must try to nab most of the gear early in the season so should be prtty safe by March right? Unless some friends come out to visit them.

I frequently find myself watching my equipment closely on the slopes - from about 1cm. Razz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not suggesting anything of course but the article suggested that 9000 pairs were 'reported' stolen.
The article seemed to state that a bloke reported his kit nicked, but the recordings show him with his kit 2 hours after they were 'stolen'.
Gear does get stolen but I think that insurance companies take a bigger hit than they should, and the costs (to them) get passed on to us the premium payer.

Both are real problems though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
its not rocket science.. buy a lock.. ok the pro thief will be held up for all of 10 seconds if he really wants your skis but the oppertunist (who must make up most of the thefts) wont bother
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lock is a good deterrent when the skis are in a rack at a cafe etc. I use one, but always make sure that I lock my skis to the rack, and/or to several of my friends' skis. As Canv says, it wouldn't put off the determined thief stealing to order, but the opportunist will pass them by for something easier.

A lock won't help you in any case if your skis get taken out of a gondola rack at mid-station by a determined thief. Think about it. If I were stealing skis, that is probably how I would do it. Hang about the exit ramp at mid-station, and swipe them after the doors close. [NB: I don't steal skis! Shocked ]

I wonder how many of the "stolen" skis were just taken by mistake... Who locks up their skis when riding a gondola with an external rack? One of our party in Arc 2000 this year had her skis taken by mistake at the top of the Varet gondola. By the time the mistake had been realised, the numpty who took them had skied off without noticing! They weren't even the same type of skis!! Got them back the same day by pure luck (spotted the skis parked up with the culprits at lunch), and then only after an argument as to whose they were. We were lucky; how many such mistakes get reported as crimes and are never resolved, I wonder.

I guess you could lock the skis together so they couldn't be skied on, that could prevent a genuine mistake from happening.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moosepig wrote:

A lock won't help you in any case if your skis get taken out of a gondola rack at mid-station by a determined thief. Think about it. If I were stealing skis, that is probably how I would do it. Hang about the exit ramp at mid-station, and swipe them after the doors close. [NB: I don't steal skis! Shocked ]

By a strange coincidence, after hitting the wrong button on my remote, I see Americas dumbest criminals is on right now.

Lifts are manned .................
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing

Good job I'm not a ski thief then! Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scud, well taken, and if these things were being stolen I'd expect a greater effort to find where these skis were being disposed of.

I had an image of 100 desperate airline travelers each day whose skis hadn't arrived. Of course, their boots and binding readjustment tools are right there by their side.

Shocked rolling eyes Laughing snowHead

Thanks, kerekip!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe there are moves afoot to trial RFID tags onto rental skis - thus making them immediately detectable if taken out of resort using road-side detectors. Could just as well stick them on personal skis.

Doesn't stop them getting nicked in the first place per se, but does help catch the crims, and reduce the reasons for doing it if you can't flog them easily out of town.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does the usual ski travel insurance cover you if you leave your skis in a ski rack at a restaurant?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In 20+ years of ski trips usually in grpoups of 8/10 people we have never had ski's (owned or hired) BUT we have stolen a pair of Ski's!
In Les Gets we had taken to congregating in a bar just above the village served by a cleared road. At the end of the days skiing two of our party would drive cars up to the bar every one would jump in, skis into the roof boxes and then back to the chalet........Next morning one extra pair of Ski's!.............What to do? quick in the car drive up to the bar and put 'em back on the rack! Confused
We told the bar owner who shrugged and said he hadn't heard from anyone losing their ski's ................................. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, so you're the culprit! Please send them back to me immediately, address on website ... Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mmm... Les Gets ? I suppose one pair of Salomons looks like another Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exit restaurant after lunch, your skis are missing but a pair of almost identical ones from the same hire shop group are standing nearby after 45 mins they are still there and the restaurany empty. The bindings fit. does this class as 2 pairs of stolen skis?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, I wonder, has anyone here ever used the name ise, and the word "bitchy" in the same sentence!! snowHead
snow report
Yes, especially in Austria, we know someone who picked up th wrong skis, leaving the Mooserwirt surprisingly, realised his mistake and took them straight back to the hire shop, they called the police. He was forced to claim on his insurance for the pair that were missing.
latest report
This may be a simple extra step to ensure protection of skis but nobody seems to have mentioned it.

2 people, 2 pairs of skis, 2 locks.
Split the skis between you, move to random spot (away from each other) and lock both split sets of skis to the rack.

This means that any thief would need to find both sets of split skis, and get through 2 locks.

Now in a bar like the Mooserwirt where you would have 1000's of skis all lined up outside the bar, unless you had a thief following you with the intention of stealing your skis and so watching where you put them, you'll be pretty sure your skis are safe

Obviously the more people in your group the more splitting can occur so that no 2 pairs of skis are attached together, and so even a thief with the intention of stealing your skis would have trouble remembering who has what skis and put them where.
snow report
I had always understood that the majority of stolen skis were stolen for sale. I have known of gangs coming up from glasgow to steal large numbers of skis on Caringorm. If discovered quikly enough the police close the road at the bottom and search all vans.

Similar things have happened here (normally at night) when gangs come from Grenoble and Lyon and clear out various "Locales a skis" and boot rooms. There's very little you can do to stop this organised side of it, but the casual thief - locks! If you rent skis, why don't you ask the shop if they rent locks at the same time? I don't think many do, but if they got asked a lot .............. Little Angel
snow conditions
albeemish, that has been discussed quite a few times in different threads. Bear in mind that thieves often do watch you arrive, targeting skis at that point - otherwise they might find themselves purloining a pair with the owners sitting close by on the terrasse, keeping a watchful eye...
ski holidays
My insurance says I'm not covered for...

Loss or theft of, or damage to, ski equipment unless it is:

a) on you all the time Shocked rolling eyes Laughing
b) locked in the accommodation etc
c) locked in a store room blah blah
d) locked to secure racking when available during the day only
e) locked in the boot blah de blah

Is this the bit that actually makes it useful as an insurance policy? snowHead
snow conditions
albeemish wrote:
This may be a simple extra step to ensure protection of skis but nobody seems to have mentioned it.

2 people, 2 pairs of skis, 2 locks.
Split the skis between you, move to random spot (away from each other) and lock both split sets of skis to the rack.

This means that any thief would need to find both sets of split skis, and get through 2 locks.

Now in a bar like the Mooserwirt where you would have 1000's of skis all lined up outside the bar, unless you had a thief following you with the intention of stealing your skis and so watching where you put them, you'll be pretty sure your skis are safe

As PG says, this is suggested all the time. It's not going to deter anyone at all. People make such a song and dance about it the entire mountain knows which skis are split and where they are. Particular types of skis are going to be targeted, it's not going to take a criminal genius to observe people arriving and work out where the skis are.
snow conditions
PG, ise,
It was all a long time ago, in fact the following year there was no snow in Les Gets or Morzine and we had to drive up to Avoriaz every day Smile
ski holidays
boredsurfin, ok, I'll take cash instead if you've mislaid them since... wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
PG,
Surely the insurance claim you put in at the time has paid out by now. wink
latest report
boredsurfin, No. The policy didn't cover him because the skis weren't actually in contact with his bare skin at the time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy