Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best way tain or plane

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

This is my first post, not having skied since last year I now have the bug and am looking at my first alpine holiday. Doing a bit of research I like the look of Tignes or Alp D'huez for a ski but need some advice. I have a limited budget ths year as I have lots of home improvement going on so am looking for the most cost effective way to get some foreign snow.

There are two of us going from edinburgh probably in January am thinking about the euro star and renting an apartment for week. So my questions.

(i) If I get the eurostar what site can I book from. What are the nearest trainstations and how do I transfer?

(ii) If I fly (jet2 does really cheap flights to chamberry from Edinburgh) how do I transfer.

(iii) Can someone recommend a good/cheap appartment thtat is close to the action. I am not worried if it is cheap and chearful it is all about the skiing!

Any help would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Edinburgh, I would fly - I used to train to the Alps fairly regularly when I lived in London, but it's a long journey from up here (a little further North than Edinburgh). The Jet2 flights are at fairly civilised times.

The Jet2 flights are not really that cheap once you add in all of the extra costs (taxes; £5 to check in online, or £10 to check in at the airport!) - for three of us with bags and 2 sets of skis, the total is around £450, from a start of £48 return! Still, I'm not certain that you would do much better than that on the train.

If flying to Chambery, check out the Chambery Airport website for details of transfers they say are available; alternatively, check out the Tourist Office website for whichever resort you are booking. We are not using trasnfers, but I recall that there were a few.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roscoeh, I agree with other poster, if up north, fly. That is what my friend does from your city as well. Sometimes he flies to London then to alps, just depends on timings and where he wants to go for skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roscoeh, welcome to snowheads. If you're young, and looking for a good value holiday, have a look at action-outdoors.co.uk - all in holidays, everything included, get good reports. If you're specially keen on tignes (and it's probably not ideal for a second holiday, as you'll have to pay for an expensive lift pass when you won't be able to take full advantage of it) look at mountainsunltd.com - they will pick you up from Geneva. Very good value, lots of us have been with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roscoeh, I'd have to agree with Yellow Pyranha, and go with flying from up here. Have you thought about flying into Geneva?

You could try www.altibus.com for transfers, although their website doesn't appear to be working correctly at the moment, or go onto the resort of your choices website and email the transfer companies and see what they can do for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roscoeh, Welcome to snowHead
A lot of people on this site are anti Tour Operators & prefer D.I.Y. packages but the T.O.'s are advertising competitively priced packages for january with 2for1 ski pass deals. Plus there's a good chance of getting a deal for January. I think it would be difficult to do it much cheaper yourself for 2 people.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roscoeh, If you fancy Tignes, why not try www.mountainsunltd.com. I've used them a few times in the past for accomadation at La Plange. Can't fault them for good value for money, especially if you use their transfers. Up side is it also includes food Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are looking for a cheap appartment maybe look at Vaujany which is linked to Alpe D'Huez but a lot cheaper.

The easiest resort to get to from the Eurostar ski train is Les Arcs - you can get the funicular railway from bourg st maurice station platform to Arc 1600. Tignes is not that far from bourg st maurice - you could probably get a bus there from the station.

We usually go skiing by train but live only 40 mins drive from Ebbsfleet intl so can easily get to the alps in a day by train. From scotland it is probably easiest/cheapest to fly as others have said. However if you are thinking of a resort like Tignes the railway station is a lot closer to the resort than the airport. The direct eurostar is a great experience and worth trying at some point.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your advice, will take a good look around and try and get a good deal, although the eurostar may be a hasssle would like to try it one day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy