Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai/Solden/Briancon/L2A in one trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was thinking of joining the SH birthday bash in Dolomites but a couple of friends asked me to meet up with them in Paris in early Feb so I am forced to speed a week in France which I have avoided in the past especially at mid term break.

The skiing portion of the trip will be our standard 2 weeks, starting 20 Jan 11 from Newcastle.

First day shall be spend driving from Amsterdam to Neustift im Stubaital as the 650 miles is about the longest drive I am prepared to do in a day. The idea is to spend 2 days on the Stubai glacier and then move the camp to Solden.

The distance between Stubai and Solden is 70 miles so I am thinking of using the travelling day to ski a small resort between the two accommodations. Think there are at least Axamer/Lizum and Oetz-Hochotz are along the route. Wonder if any recommendation from the SH. I have never skied any of the above Austrian resorts which is why I am doing it now this particular way.

I booked a self catering place in Solder for 5 nights to ski 2 days in Solden and another 2 in Obergural.

Then I shall drive the whole day from Austria to France, via the Brenner Pass, Bolzano, Milan and Turin, to stay in Briancon for another 5 night. The problem there is too many choices. I would love to try Risoul, Puy St Vincent, Sauze d'Olux which I haven't skied before. The rest will be spent in Sere Chevalier, Sestriere, Claviere and Montgenvre which I have skied in the past.

Before meeting my friends in Paris I decided to shorten the journey a little bit by moving the last camp to Les Deux Alpes to get a skiing day there and may be another in L'Alpe d'Heuz.

The trip will be tackled with a 3 litre 4x4 ( Outback) , snow tyres and a set of snow chains.

Shall report back after the trip
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee,

Sounds like a great trip (albeit with a hefty fuel bill....)

The Stubai Glacier will be well worth a trip but, about half an hour closer, you could try Fulpmes (also in the Stubai Valley and just a few km outside of Neustift) which has its own ski area (called Schlick 2000). We've not skiied there but have heard good reports.

I'm sure some snowHeads will be along soon to give you a report on Schlick 2000.

Enjoy the trip - but, as you say, you are spoilt for choice!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister,

Does the Schlick 2000 ski pass covered by the Stubai Glacier pass?

There seems to be 3 areas at least inside the Neustift Valley; SChlick 2000, Stubaital 11er Lifte Neustift and the Stubai Glacier. I go anywhere as long as there aren't too many drag lifts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, I've skied Schlick and I absolutely loved it (went back the following year, and hope to return this winter).
The mountain scenery is exceptional - you feel like you're tucked away in a secret valley, and the slopes are really quiet.
You can actually take the tram there from Innsbruck's city centre - a fantastic little trip out through the city and up into the hills. It's a 10 minute walk from the tram stop.
You can get lift passes which cover the whole area (Stubai, Schlick, and the resorts nearer Innsbruck like Axamer and Patscherkofl) but we just bought local day passes.
Neil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PSV is a lovely interesting resort with some super varied and interesting terrain for all levels. Deffo worth at least a couple of days IMO.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

PSV is a lovely interesting resort

Skiing in Eindhoven in Holland? Whatever next? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puy St Vincent (12 miles) is possibly the third French nearest resort to Briancon after Serre Chevalier (0 miles) and Montgenvre(8 miles). I am trying it out because only because I haven't been there before.

Think I would not ventured beyond Risoul (20 miles from Briancon) for this trip.

Anyone know if the mountain road from Briancon to the Italian Bardonecchia open in winter? This road looks like a prime candidate to close for winter at the deserted border zone (no village).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee,
Quote:

Anyone know if the mountain road from Briancon to the Italian Bardonecchia open in winter? This road looks like a prime candidate to close for winter at the deserted border zone (no village).

It's closed, though the valley through which it runs is a prime x country area and stunningly beautiful in winter (pretty nice in summer as well). You can get to Bardonecchia going through Montgenevre and going down to the autoreoute to the Frejus tunnel.

PSV Montgenvre L2A and Alpe D'Huez are all on the Serre che lift pass for a day in passes 6 days and over. Risoul is not which may affect the order in which you visit.
Never been but St Veran sounds a very beautiful village with a small but interesting area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar,

I notice the 6-day pass bought in PSV entitles the holder to skiing many nearby French resorts as you indicated. So I could buy it in Serre Che too. Good tip!

Probably won't bother with Bardonecchia as it is 30 miles from Briancon if I have to drive through Montgenvre, Clariere, Cesana and Sauze d'Olux to get there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee,
You can buy a pass in any of the participating resorts, but it is a pass for that resort that allows you a day in each of the other resorts for the valididty of the pass. It does not allow more than one day in other resorts and areas count as resorts eg a Serre Che pass can be used for the entire Milky way area for a day but not for one day in Montgenvre and one day in Sestriere. The pass is also for consecutive days so you don't want to dissapear off to Risoul in the middle of the passes validity.

To get more than a small flavour of the piste skiing in the larger resorts needs more than a day so you may consider if basing in Briancon say going up to Montgenvre early and skiing Montgenevre Claviere on a day pass then going to Risoul then buying a 6 day Serre Che pass during which you could ski a cfouple of days in Serre Che go over and ski the Sauze / Sestriere sector of the milky way ski PSV and if you have time or days left go over and ski in L2A or Alpe d'Huez.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Let's see from your information if I could optimize the ski pass cost.

I have planned 7 skiing days in Braincon and L2A.

If the Serre Che 6-day ski pass can cover the Milky Way (including the Italian side) then I could on my arrival ski Risoul and its own day pass separately.

Thereafter I can purchase a 6-day pass in Serre Che and spend a day there. I can then ski PSV, Sauze d'Olux and again in Serre Che, finish the day and drive the L2A. There I could spend the remaining days in L2A and Aple d'Huez.

Also if I want two days in Milky Way (instead of in Serre Che) then I should get the 6-day pass from Claviere or Montgenvre, Right?

I don't mind the cost but saving buying a day pass every day is neat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee,
Your scenarios should both work. In Scenarion2 you would need to buy a full area pass in Montgenevre(Voie Lattee) though I think not the local Monts de la Lune. (Not sure about this).
Also you will need to check how the lift pass works with someone with up to date knowledge if you dont want to go to the lift office at each reosrt. In the old days you used to have to take a little chit to each resorts office and get it stamped there and get issued with a day pass. I am pretty sure they have moved onto a hands free pass that works in the different resorts when I bought my last pass but as I only skied Serre Che I am not sure about this.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In March, when we skied at Montgenevre with Christopher his hands free SC pass was not enough, and he ended up having to buy a day pass. He needed the voucher, which he hadn'r been given by UCPA, (our season passes were OK though). At Deux-Alpes you just turn up and ski, and I think also at Puy St Vincent. I think you can ski both Montgenevre and Sestriere on separate days now, I think this has changed from before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I stayed in SC in 2008, when visiting Alpe D'Huez you could use the SC pass, when we went to Sestriere we had to take the voucher and get a day pass from the ticket office.

Mike
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy