Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How are the tour operators doing this year?

Poster: A snowHead
just wondering if they are selling their holidays or there is over capacity, just wondered what with all the talk of people cutting back etc. First
year we have not booked anything ourselves, holding off for perhaps a cheeky bargain in January..any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there are no cheeky bargains in January it'll be a world first.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal appear to have dumped huge swathes of their Clubhotel programme. Don't think I'd bank on there being bargains as a result of overcapacity.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try the 8th or 22nd Janaury for the bargins, they seem to be the quiet weeks. I think the 29th Jan is some kind of University half term so is popular..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the last two years are anything to go by you should be able to ski in Bristol in January
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
truffaut wrote:
If the last two years are anything to go by you should be able to ski in Bristol in January

Will book my tickets from Geneva. Any Idea if the uplift is any good Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kiters, the 4-dayers from 4th - 8th of Jan (and similar) will be virtually given away if you can wait a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are almost fully booked for January (with 22nd proving very popular, but already sold across all properties) including the odd durations/short stays just after New Year week. SnowRetreat, I think you are right about 29th being a University break, as one of our extended family ski group - who has now graduated - dictated our own dates up to this year
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kiters, the 4-dayers from 4th - 8th of Jan (and similar) will be virtually given away if you can wait a bit.

They already are,I booked one at the B'ham Ski Show.I just sat there and kept shaking my head....and the price kept falling.Paid in full there and then....and got an extra 10% off.I sensed an air of desperation....so went for the jugular Laughing
These things are always difficult to judge.Are they desperate,filling last few places,panicking or what? My criteria...if the numbers stack up in your favour,book it......so I did Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:

They need to be, I can't see any point in using up a week's holiday for 4 days skiing.

They should be paying you, made up from the excess charged to the New Year customers.

My take is that there will be plenty of late bargains this season, by the early discounting I've seen so far and the general mood of pessimism about the economy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

They should be paying you

luigi, you're right, and they should pick us up in stretch Hummers and organise nightly massages too.

I remember when there were too many charter flights to Calgary one year (somewhere around 1997-98 I think). You could buy a week in Banff for £99 (flight and decent accommodation and transfer). Spoke to someone who knows the other day, and they reckoned the 4 dayers will easily go sub-£100 just to make a contribution to overheads. Happy hunting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all

Just popping in to see how you all are... perhaps I can add to this discussion?

With regards to "bargains" it's true to say that in a season which has a particular long off-peak period, and no Easter to speak of, we do have some areas that are not where we would like them to be regarding what's called "load factor". (This is the degree to which the seats on our flights are sold.) The sharp-eyed amongst you will already know which weeks and which destinations these are as we now show the cheapest holidays in the "Ski deals" section of our website (did you notice we've upgraded btw?)

Meanwhile, as a business we've become pretty adept at "managing capacity" (ie the number of holidays we're selling) and filling planes, and it's not always by slashing prices! The same can be said of our competitors too, and none of us were under any illusions about how tough this season was going to be.

Beyond that, I am of course biased, but it's the old tour operator adage. If you're choosy about what you want, it's *always* better to book early. That's why our standout offer this season - Crystal Ski + - ends at the end of November. If you're not choosy then of course you can take your chances. But there will be thousands of other people playing the same game. Do you want to be "disappointed" in order to save just a few quid? Smile

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller wrote:

I've booked one of the 4-dayers. £380 all in, which has meant that I can afford to have two ski trips (can't afford two full weeks). Happy bunny Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simon Cross wrote:

we do have some areas that are not where we would like them to be............................................................. it's *always* better to book early.

Now there's an admission followed by a bit of tour op bluff!!!! wink

Hang in there guys if your circumstances allow you to go for a late booking bargain, those 4 dayers will be £99 or less and a week in January or March in a chalet will be above or below £200 depending on location/quality!! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi wrote:

Did you expect something different? Smile
ski holidays
Simon Cross wrote:
luigi wrote:

Did you expect something different? Smile

Of course not! wink

But seeing as you are now an honorary snowHead, perhaps you could give us a heads up on here just before the half-price packages go live, we'd be ever so grateful you know! snowHead
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
Simon Cross wrote:

we do have some areas that are not where we would like them to be............................................................. it's *always* better to book early.

I don't think it was bluff, and you have made it look like he said something quite different by removing the context from the second part of that.

It has always been true, and probably always will be that if you have very specific requirements, then it will be best to book early, or you might not get them.

The more flexible you are, then the better chance you have of getting something good for a bargain by booking late.
ski holidays
alex_heney, Agreed. For example, my own family group know what we want, and - more importantly - what we don't want, so we find that and book it as early as June or so before arriving (usually January) - this is DIY.

However, there are lots of people who - although still VERY choosy - don't book what they want early, in the hope that their very specific requirements can be met, in full, at short notice, and at a bargain price! I've just heard of a family with 3 children aged 6 and younger, who have booked flights arriving late on New Year's Day, and a VERY long list of 'must-haves', none of which can - apparently - be flexed, and are getting quite panicy about finding somewhere.

If you are going to leave it late, especially in peak times, compromise is the thing. If not, you may find you are left with not-cheap flights and nowhere to stay Sad
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
luigi wrote:
Simon Cross wrote:

I don't think it was bluff, and you have made it look like he said something quite different by removing the context from the second part of that.

It has always been true, and probably always will be that if you have very specific requirements, then it will be best to book early, or you might not get them.

The more flexible you are, then the better chance you have of getting something good for a bargain by booking late.

Well said Alex. It is a part of the charter flying tour op model that there may be more supply than demand. But the opposite is also true.
What has always flummoxed me a little bit is that people who are about to spend in most cases over £1,000 in total on a week's holiday are interested in getting say £20 or £50 off by spending days of their time shopping around! And then they may never find the holiday they want anyway because it has then sold out.

I am sure that travel is unique in this respect.
latest report
Simon Cross, and it's not just tour ops they are bargaining with. I had a couple interested in a peak season week who wanted it for the same price as my low season week. As it is French holidays, I resisted, it is still early for the French to look for their ski holidays.
ski holidays
Wasting some time flicking around the travel sites this morning I found some really good deals for the French high resorts around Easter and the end of the season, can only see these getting cheaper as time passes with Easter being so late etc.
snow report
Simon Cross wrote:
What has always flummoxed me a little bit is that people who are about to spend in most cases over £1,000 in total on a week's holiday are interested in getting say £20 or £50 off by spending days of their time shopping around! And then they may never find the holiday they want anyway because it has then sold out.

I am sure that travel is unique in this respect.
I'm not sure it is but perhaps its nature, being a substantial, annual purchase, makes the pattern easier to see.

People spend days scouring the internet for the best price on hi-fi, a computer, a car. Sometimes they find some 'hidden' fact that saves them substantially and sometimes they save £10 or £20 for days' work. Some people, it's true, are 'a bit mad' in that way but then again, some just enjoy the process of bargain hunting.
snow report
Laughing Boredsurfing, is spending time surfing for bargains and he's not even looking to buy anything!

QED!
(thanks for proving my point Boredsurfing Wink )
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:

Now you've taken me out of context!! Toofy Grin

The man from Crystal said 'always' and that is bluff.

I added the rider 'if your circumstances allow'.

For me it has always worked, a late deal in a chalet in January or March for 2, I'm self-employed so can go at short notice if need be, flexible about resort, always ended up somewhere nice and never paid more than half brochure price. In fact, in 2003 I got a 4* Chalet package to Belle Plagne inc flights transfer and food for £119pp. I still mourn the passing of Airtours ski operation.

Yeah, please go ahead, book early and subsidise my cheapies!! wink
snow report
admin, I'm Bored surfing as usual on a quiet Monday morning wink
ski holidays
queen bodecia,

Can i ask who you booked with? i am also looking for a cheap break like this that has everything covered.... Going to VT in jan as our main trip so need a cheap and cheerful 1 for a lads break..

thanks
ski holidays
luigi, Actually, the man from Crystal said:
Quote:

If you're choosy about what you want, it's *always* better to book early.

Which is unarguably true, and cannot possibly be described as a bluff. If you're not fussed, on the other hand, there may well be a price advantage in booking at the last minute.
ski holidays
Interesting discussions are unfolding and I appreciate all the comments so far, I will let you know if I get my 'cheeky' bargain lol! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crispyapplepie, I'm part-funding Simon Cross's retirement! Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:

If you're not fussed, on the other hand, there may well be a price advantage in booking at the last minute.

Agreed. Booking late will not suit all circumstances. I have booked a DIY group holiday early, the only way to ensure a large group can travel together.

I suppose I resented the implication that if you don't book early (and pay through the nose), you'll end up with something not worth having.

I'm 'choosy' as well as being flexible and I've found that late booking has turned up some gems (I did Zermatt half-price last year, so hardly pauper's choice).

The savings are substantial, not just 'a few quid' as the man from Crystal would have you believe, here are some examples of what I've paid, all 50-75% off the brochure price, all 7 night packages inc flights, transfers, 3 or 4* chalet accommodation with food and wine:

Selva Mar '99: £169
Montgenevre Mar '01: £169
Selva Mar'02: £249
Belle Plagne Jan '03: £119
Val Thorens Jan'05: £199
Canazei Jan'09: £215
Zermatt Jan'10: £299

There may have been a booking fee or ski carriage fee to add to these prices, same as full-price bookings. You don't often get those nasty under-occupancy, pay extra for an ensuite, balcony, etc supplements with late bookings either.

But don't listen to me.............believe the man whose job it is to sell holidays for as high a price as possible.......... rolling eyes wink
snow report
Quote:

But don't listen to me.............believe the man whose job it is to sell holidays for as high a price as possible..........

Are you deliberately being obtuse? Crystal Man's point was that if you particularly want a certain thing you should book early in order to guarantee it. He is right.

Your point is that you can get good deals by booking last minute. You too are right (and Crystal Man didn't state otherwise). The difference is that the late booker has to be prepared to take whatever's available - sometimes he'll strike lucky and get 4* on-piste in his favourite resort, and sometimes he won't.
ski holidays
Anyone know if Kuoni still offer ski holidays?

They used to be very good on Switzerland (when the £ had a reasonable exchange rate). They expanded into other countries too.

Now I cannot find a ski brochure from them.
latest report
Ha! The TO holiday we had our eye on had gone down in price last Friday. Unfortunately, by the time one of the other couple going had got back to us today, it's gone back to the original price! Has anyone kept an eye on websites? Do holidays tend to go up/down on particular days of the week?
latest report
maggi, keep checking every day, they are up and down so much.

One holiday I have been watching (for our family of 3) has done this over the past few weeks: 2673 1952 1895 1852; another went down back up and down again like this: 2735 3146 3004 2690 2676 2562 2522 2480.

Some big differences in price there.

We are nearly there with our booking I think, have got one on hold Toofy Grin
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
Ha! The TO holiday we had our eye on had gone down in price last Friday. Unfortunately, by the time one of the other couple going had got back to us today, it's gone back to the original price! Has anyone kept an eye on websites? Do holidays tend to go up/down on particular days of the week?

Yes, they do. You quite often seem to find them a bit cheaper over the weekend IME, then going back up on Monday.

But not always.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Now you've taken me out of context!! Toofy Grin

The man from Crystal said 'always' and that is bluff.

He didn't just say "always", he said "if you are choosy then it is always better to book early"

I think you are interpreting "choosy" as meaning something different to what I think he meant.

You are saying elsewhere in the thread that it implies you would get something "not worth having", which I don't believe was implied at all.

I think that by "if you are choosy", he just meant "if you have very specific requirements".

Quote:

I added the rider 'if your circumstances allow'.

For me it has always worked, a late deal in a chalet in January or March for 2, I'm self-employed so can go at short notice if need be, flexible about resort, always ended up somewhere nice and never paid more than half brochure price. In fact, in 2003 I got a 4* Chalet package to Belle Plagne inc flights transfer and food for £119pp. I still mourn the passing of Airtours ski operation.

Yeah, please go ahead, book early and subsidise my cheapies!! wink

I've always been flexible enough to book pretty late. And had some very good bargains as a result.

If I wanted a specific resort at a peak time, for anything other than 1-2 people, I doubt I would risk it. But I've fortunately never been in that position.
snow report
Latchico wrote:
Anyone know if Kuoni still offer ski holidays?

They used to be very good on Switzerland (when the £ had a reasonable exchange rate). They expanded into other countries too.

Now I cannot find a ski brochure from them.

O don't think they do any more under the Kuoni brand. It came up on another thread a few weeks ago, and I had a look. They do own the Ski Verbier brand though.
ski holidays
maggi wrote:

I once spent a few hours in the old Airtours call centre oop north. They had what I can only describe as a share dealing screen set up. As their aircraft seats were filling up, the system was calculating the rate of sale (how many seats on board / how many seats left / how many days until take off / some clever calc) and revenue from the already sold load factor and some algorithms were busy calculating the optimum selling price and adjusting the holiday prices in real time. At some point of under-performance they just off-loaded to certain friendly agents at knock-down prices. I think they operated a system whereby there were less beds than aircraft seats, knowing that they could always buy in if necessary. I'm sure it's even more of a science now.
snow report
At work my marketing guy was wondering whether our customers (such as some of you) would be interested in understanding a little bit more about how we operate as a business.

If we were to (as it were) lift the lid on tour operating, would you be interested? Or am I being woefully ambitious about how interested people are?!
snow conditions
Simon Cross, I think at least some of us would be interested, yes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy