Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cosy Open Fire Gluhvein Smelly Cheese Fandue Raclette

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for this :

Skiing - sure snow, plenty of blacks and reds, good mountain restaurants etc

Accom - cosy, bar with open fire for drinking hot gluhvein with wife while sharing an episode of Spooks on the laptop with 2-from-1 headphones (hey, it's how we roll) after having hot jacuzzi after massage after pool after day's skiing

Room - not too fussed as long as it's a good mattress and ensuite

Food - Savoyarde / Savoie / Walliser / whateveryouwantocallit Alpine stuff made with smelly cheese and ham, maybe the odd sausage and polenta type thing, but mostly cheese, ham and potatoes. And wine.

I guess I'm looking for the Hotel Alex in Zermatt except we've been there too many times now and want to try somewhere else.

Any recommendations ? Please if you know somewhere that ticks all my boxes, let me know !!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would think the vast majority of high Austrian/Swiss/South Tyrolean resorts fit the bill, Ischgl, Lech, St. Anton, Obertauern, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, St. Moritz, Davos-Klosters.... and many many more
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you know of any specific resorts and hotels that match my wants ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andorra?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scotland sounds ideal for you!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Odd. I had imagined that this forum would actually be helpful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blewyn wrote:

Welcome to Snowheads snowHead . Please don't be put off by some of the "jokey" replies above, some of us from time to time (myself included) try to be comedians on here (with varying degrees of success it must be said Toofy Grin )

As regards your request, if you still want a Swiss resort I could recommend Wengen, great scenery (Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau), reasonable variety of ski runs (including the World Cup Downhill Lauberhorn run) and good mountain restaurants (the apple fritters at Brandegg are very popular). The Jungfrau region liftpass also includes Grindelwald and Murren across the valley from Wengen. Murren has the Schilthorn mountain (with the Piz Gloria restaurant at the summit which featured in the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service") and has an interesting black run down from the summit, and plenty of nice skiing around the Birg area.
A number of Snowheads have stayed at the Victoria Lauberhorn in Wengen on a couple of the previous Mid Season Bashes there, it includes a pool with water jets, sauna etc. I believe it is in the Crystal brochure.

I agree with skilehrer89's other suggestions for resorts but can't comment on hotels with similar spa facilities. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 6-11-10 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blewyn, depends a bit on what your budget is.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blewyn, Hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl in Obergurgl would fit the bill
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blewyn wrote:

It's also quite friendly, so welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blewyn, As Stoatsbrother said, the Edelweiss in Obergurgl. I 've been several times. Alternatively in Hochgurgl, the Top Hotel Hochgurgl. These are all large well appointed hotels.

I was also going to suggest the Hotel Deutschmann in Obergurgl but i've just seen some recent poor reports.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, BMF_Skier, The esteemed establishments of Obergurgl/Hochgurgl meet most of Blewyn's requirements, but I think they probably fall down on the food from what I understand, delivering quite fussy lengthy set piece dinners. This is certainly the impression we get from the people we meet post supper who are always envious of us having tucked into Schnitzel in David's Hutte, or having stayed up at the Nederhutte for pierre chaude.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks, fair point - although you can cheese-up at lunchtime, and they will do fondues on request. I do like a hot-rock though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
depends a bit on what your budget is.

Hotel Alex is around €330-400pppnt in high season, though they do some 7 night packages in Jan for around €200pppnt including ski pass and spa treatments.

Blewyn, I think you'll struggle to replicate the Zermatt experience elsewhere, at any price.

Lech and Zurs in Austria might just do it, but you might not be able to 'cheese' it up in the same way in the mountain restaurants, not many blacks either, but lots of off-piste itineraries.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lech or possibly Oberlech was what I was thinking. Rud Alpe for lunch on the mountain?
snow report
Blewyn, welcome to snowHeads.

Another vote for Lech, but it's too long since I've been there for me to be able to recommend an hotel. For mountain-top restaurants and your other criteria, I'd second the Jungfrau Region, again don't have current knowledge of an hotel: maybe the Regina in Wengen. Chamonix doesn't score well on mountain-top restaurants, but is wonderful in every other respect - Hotel Albert Premier. But essentially I agree with luigi,
Quote:

you'll struggle to replicate the Zermatt experience elsewhere, at any price.
ski holidays
Another vote for the Jungfrau Region. Have a look at the Schoenegg, Belvedere or Schweizerhof in Grindelwald, Hotel Eiger in Murren and Beausite Park or Alpenrose (but no jacuzzi or pool) in Wengen
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
depends a bit on what your budget is.

Hotel Alex is around €330-400pppnt in high season, though they do some 7 night packages in Jan for around €200pppnt including ski pass and spa treatments.

Not last time we went it wasn't !! Damn that weak pound eh ?? Oh for the days of 2.2chuffs to the quid....

Quote:
Blewyn, I think you'll struggle to replicate the Zermatt experience elsewhere, at any price.

Ain't that the truth. What an awesome place. If I could pull the money together to buy a place there I'd move tomorrow.
snow report
Thanks for all the great advice snowheads !!! Happy Much appreciated
snow report
Blewyn, just don't expect to watch Spooks via i-player abroad Toofy Grin
latest report
Lech-Zurs is in the Austrian state of Vorarlberg - the state is famed for its cheeses and cheese dishes, so i think you could cheese it up pretty well, Käsepätzle etc are well known Vorarlberg dishes. Lech also a pretty "chocolate box" village, nice hotels/wellness and the gluhwein type of apres ski you're asking for. Skiing-wise not many blacks over the Lech side but St. Anton has a few plus the whole Arlberg area is known for its challenging skiing.
latest report
Blewyn, Hotel Hubertushof in Stuben might fit the bill. Stayed there a couple of years back with the family. http://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/stuben/hotel_index.htm Cracking fire in lounge area, where you get afternoon snacks (best spare ribs I've ever tasted), good food and a lot of the hotel recently done up. Staff and management were all really nice and Stuben very chilled. St Anton is ski-able in around an hour. Zurs 5 mins away, Lech 10-15 mins by taxi/bus.
latest report
Lou wrote:
Blewyn, just don't expect to watch Spooks via i-player abroad Toofy Grin

We watch Spooks abroad all the time Happy We live in Oman....

(it's on ITunes, and ..... other places..)
snow report
How difficult is it to travel between Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren at night ? They look close on the map but alpine villages can be short distances but long travel times. Is it practical to have dinner in Murren while staying at Griindelwald or Wengen, for example ?
ski holidays
Blewyn wrote:
How difficult is it to travel between Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren at night ? They look close on the map but alpine villages can be short distances but long travel times. Is it practical to have dinner in Murren while staying at Griindelwald or Wengen, for example ?

Blewyn to travel between the 3 resorts you would have to go via Lauterbrunnen (which is in the valley between Wengen and Murren). The trains between Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald run quite late see this site. e.g the last train from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald is shown as departing at 22:33. The trains from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen run even later, usually past midnight. However getting back from Murren to Lauterbrunnen in the evening may be more difficult. There are basically two routes for getting from Murren down to Lauterbrunnen. One is to take the train from Murren BLM station which takes you to Grutschalp where there is a new connecting cable car (that replaced the old funicular) that takes you down to Lauterbrunnen. However the SBB website seems to indicate that the last train from Murren BLM station departs at 19:06. The other route is to take the cable car in Murren village down to Stechelberg and take a connecting bus back to Lauterbrunnen. It seems that this the latest departure from Murren using this route is 21:55, but I would suggest checking locally on these times when planning any evening journeys.
ski holidays
Hmm...so in a nutshell you choose your resort and that's pretty much where you spend your evenings. No dinner in Grindelwald then back to Murren for example...
ski holidays
Zürs, try the Sporthotel Lorünser, the rest of the hotels there are pretty good. Failing that go to Romantik Hotel Krone
Lech or even the Arlberg Hospiz Hotel in St. Christoph. It does not get any better.
ski holidays
Is it easy to ski between Lech, Zurs and St Anton during the day ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blewyn wrote:
Is it easy to ski between Lech, Zurs and St Anton during the day ?

Lech and Zurs are lift-linked, you can follow the Weisse Ring route, but it's a 10-15 min bus ride to link into the St Anton area at Alpe Rauz.
ski holidays
Blewyn, the Arlberg circuit well linked either by lifts of buses. I've based myself in Oberlech a couple of times, Stuben once and St Anton 5/6 times. St Anton has more blacks with Lech/Zurs being more cruisy skiing and slopes definitely quieter. Never had any issues skiing from one end of the circuit to the other, albeit that some form of transport will be required as some point. There is more than enough skiing though for you to stay in one 'section' each day.
If you have a decent budget then I would suggest you stay in Lech/Zurs/Oberlech rather than St Anton - especially if you're just looking to chill out after skiing. We stayed at the Hotel Montana in Oberlech each time we were there - the food really was amazing. http://www.montanaoberlech.at/index.php?id=51&L=1 The Burg http://www.burghotel-lech.com/en/home.aspx or Sonnenburg http://www.sonnenburg.at/ are arguably better located, being slightly closer to the lifts. Any of the 4* Superior hotels will be excellent.
latest report
Thanks for the suggestions but all those hotels look a bit tired to me......kind of dated. I'm looking for a B&B hotel that makes me feel warm, cosy and good after a day's skiing. One thing that strikes me looking at Alpine skiing is just how many hotels seem to be stuck in a mid-20th century timewarp. For example, how can you seriously have a hotel with no hot-tub and pool, in this day and age ? I'd look at Canada/US but they're a bit if a hike from here...

I guess I'm asking too much for my money.
snow conditions
If you want to wander over the Atlantic, Jasper Park Lodge may do you.
latest report
Actually, Emerald Lake lodge may suit or Deer Lodge
latest report
Hotel Post, Ischgl 4* superior Very Happy (great website so you can see the interior for yourself). It's in a fantastic resort, wink Very Happy Very Happy great skiing. Best we've had. Fast covered lifts and some with heated seats!! Skiing into Switzerland for some duty free (although the long run was the real reason we did it twice). Double cable car brings you back to Ischgl. Cobbled streets, beautiful church - worth a look inside. Apres ski is fun and not as rowdy as we had thought from reading Where to Ski. We are sadly unable to afford it now we have two littles, Sad but we will be back!
snow conditions
Will check it out, thanks for the suggestion and congratulations Happy
ski holidays
Blewyn, Any of the 4-* Superior or 5* hotels in Austria would meet your requirements. Just take a look at some of the resorts you might fancy then look at the hotels. They all have suites, some with their own fires in them (sometimes open but usually traditional tiled "Kachelofens"

Sorry I find this obsession with hot tubs bizarre to say the least and chavvy. They are so unhygienic it is unbelievable; makes my stomach turn to just think about it. What would you do if the hotel asked you to share a bath with all the other clients? At least with a full and properly maintained Wellness area you have all the filters and processes in place to ensure you are not exchanging faecal matter Shocked
snow conditions
Not just exchange. I think osculation is required.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

how can you seriously have a hotel with no hot-tub and pool, in this day and age ?

surely the appeal of a traditional Alpine hotel is that it's traditional and not "made over" every two years in line with the latest fashionable "must have"?

I agree with Samerberg Sue about hot tubs. Yuk, yuk and yuk again. Twisted Evil All sitting there in a warm bacteriologically rich stew, bubbling away together.
latest report
Yowzers yes I can see why taking the littles might be off the cards !! How is the food there ? This is the thing that I have difficulty getting past a lot of these places.....food is very important to me (I spend 60% of my time in the Arabian desert, living on chicken and rice) so I hate the idea of being stuck somewhere with mediocre food but surrounded by fondue houses and the like,.......is the food really good ? The picture of the bar is very inviting indeed....
snow report
All this talk of cheese made me have cheese on toast for supper with Reblochon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy