Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Touring Thread V2...........

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the other thread of this title and not wanting to hijack...

I'm in the same situation - looking for an off piste / day touring ski with emphasis on the down rather than the up.

I was looking at the Phrophet Flites as an option, as I'm not especially heavy (70-72kg), nor an especially agressive skiier, hence going for a softer ski which happens to be really good value! It's a proven shape, and generally considered to be a pretty decent allround ski, but a twin tip which I've heard can be a pain with skins (although I can't immediately 'see' what the problem would be)... Also being a twin, not sure how short it will ski, so unsure whether to go for the 172's or 179's (leaning towards the 179's)

My other consideration was the K2 Backlash, but haven't been able to find too much blurb / reviews about it on the web.

Thoughts???

(Edit - typo)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-11-10 8:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To avoid repetition, look at "one ski for touring/piste....." thread.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skins really need a flat and square tail end of ski to attach properly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bruce leggott, I am no expert but I didn't think attaching skins to tail is necessary....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bruce leggott wrote:
To avoid repetition, look at "one ski for touring/piste....." thread.

Hi Bruce

Saw that, but not quite the same. You're 20 kg heavier and probably a better skier than me (would consider myself competent off-piste, not expert)! Didn't want to hijack others threads either...

Also, looking for specific feedback on the two skis I mentioned...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
bruce leggott, I am no expert but I didn't think attaching skins to tail is necessary....

That's my experience too, but I'm no expert...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

That depends how much you like your skins staying attached to your skis. I've used skins without a tail clip - works but isn't great. I wouldn't want to be using them in a situation where some form of equipment failure was going to be a major PITA.

Twin tips are not a total disaster but are not ideal. I'm using BD skins with the STS system on a semi-twinned ski. The clip will gradually work its way round one side of the tip. One to be aware of. Obviously jamming a full twin into the snow is harder and some kinds of snow anchor are out of the question.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bruce leggott wrote:
Skins really need a flat and square tail end of ski to attach properly.

My BD skins work fine on my Big Troubles...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i used to think tail attachments were never necessary. i saw an article by Andrew Mclean (google him) which suggested they are a very good idea in places with very cold, dry snow. however, in europe, tail attachments are not necessary if you keep your glue in good nick and don't spend too much time skinning switch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and don't spend too much time skinning switch

Gotta love all this 'core nu-skool feestyle touring wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy