Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich to St Anton transfer

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying into Zurich on 19th Feb and back on 27th (Sunday) and have booked an apartment in St Anton for 19th - 26th. It will be just my 15 year daughter and me. I'm assuming rail is the best means of transfer, we would travel out in the morning on 19th and back after skiing for the day on 26th (I've somewhere booked in Zurich for that night). I've used Swiss rail within Switzerland but never to Austria, tips please. Is it best to book/cheapest through Swiss or Austrian Rail, are reservations necessary, when are tickets available, means of getting discount etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, I did that trip last year (to Landeck actually) and tickets should be out very soon.

Aim for the RailJet service which goes from Zurich to Vienna (RJ code on the SBB website) as you won't have to change and it's a nice luxurious train. I think it's free to reserve a seat, although the train I was on (middle of the day, middle of the week) was about 24 carriages long and almost empty.

I think the price will be the same either way and the only way of getting a discount I know is to have one of their discount railcards which are only worth it if you're doing lots of trips every year.

Last tip would be not to leave the timings too tight on the return leg to catch your plane as because the trains are coming all the way through Austria they are sometimes delayed - much to the horror of the Swiss Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, Thanks that's very helpful. No problems about coming back as we're not flying until the next day. Swiss do "saver tickets" which are about half the price of the flexible ones but you are tied to a particular train, I don't think I'd be confident enough to risk that. We'll be Saturday to Saturday so I expect they'll be busier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think the price will be the same either way and the only way of getting a discount I know is to have one of their discount railcards which are only worth it if you're doing lots of trips every year.

It could be worth you're daughter getting the vorteilscarte (travel card for the under 26's). It costs 19 euros, and gives you 50% discount of train travel in Austria. Not that the part of the journey in Switzerland will still be at full price, it's only the Austrian miles that will be discounted, but it might still work out a few euros cheaper.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
timely thread as some friends are going out to Zurich 9th April 2011 to ski with us in Stuben. Any idea how far ahead the tickets are available? Website simply says Bookings are not yet being taken for this service.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From Swiss Rail it looks as if it's a flexible ticket at 119SwFr or Super saver at 95SwFr, my daughter is actually free on both of those. Sounds pretty good to me. Can't book it this far ahead yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The new Winter Timetable Tickets are on sale now (From November 2nd).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best option is to use the bus service. www.arlbergexpress.com

We have used it a number of times. The Bus departs from the drop off road between the airport building and the railway building. The advantage is there is no need to move your bags between trains - which can be quite hard work (depending on your luggage!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiingQuinHat, Thanks, looks a good alternative. Doesn't work for me on this occasion though as there isn't a late enough bus back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tickets and reservations only available 3 months in advance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are cheap tickets in advance, although they tie you to a particular train. 19 Euros one way. I booked through the OBB website rather than ths Swiss rail one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, I used to work for these guys. Just started doing railjet this year.

http://www.swisspasses.com/railpass/obb-railjet-zurich-st-anton/

Pretty sure he said they were already on sale for the whole season

Dunno if that helps or not compared to your other options above Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fastandicy, Thanks I've used them the last couple of years for Swiss Transfer Passes, I never thought of looking for these.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, I'm in St. Anton the following week and the best I can seem to do is:

2nd class return 91.5CHF
1st class return 147.5CHF

So about £60 or £100. The fares are equivalent whether booking through SSB or OBB for the times most convenient for meeting our flight. Train takes around 2.5hrs

As there are 4 of us travelling I can hire a renault scenic or eqiuvalent for £378 for the 2hr drive, no hanging around waiting for train and half day extra skiing before heading back to Zurich at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SkiingQuinHat wrote:

We have used it a number of times. The Bus departs from the drop off road between the airport building and the railway building. The advantage is there is no need to move your bags between trains - which can be quite hard work (depending on your luggage!)

Another vote for Arlberg Express - they are not only very convenient at the airport, but they'll also drop you off and pick you up from close to your hotel if possible, and arrange taxis if not.
ski holidays
halfhand, Train is OK for me as children travel either for free or hardly anything. Swiss Rail wasn't working properly last week when I tried to buy them, probably overload due to the bad weather there. Will try again tomorrow.
snow conditions
SkiingQuinHat wrote:

Maybe "best" for those with excessive luggage. Not for others who prefer (or need, as Colin B does) a bit more flexibility. There're more than 10 trains to choose from but only 4 bus each day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy