Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there any hope for my ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a new pair of boots that seemed to fit really well. They are Salomon custom fit ones but the heater wasn't in the shop when I bought them so I arranged to bring them back another day to get that done. The fitter suggested I went to Hemel snow centre to try them out before I go back. So this I did last night. Well they really were disappointing in that my heel kept rising and I kept getting cramp in my feet and calfs.

So my question is to any one who may know, is there any hope with these boots with some adjustment and the custom fit thing happening or are they just the wrong boot for me. They fit like a glove when I'm not on skis so I feel like there must be a way to get them to fit whilst skiing. I didn't have my own foot bed things in but I doubt they would stop my heel rising?

Any advice before I go back to the shop would be great.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shell check it, take out the liner and see how much room you have behind your heal when your toe is touching the front of the boot, if it is 20mm or less its a good size more and prob 2 big.

Did you get a footbed also?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, thats a great tip, I'll try it tonight. I have a foot bed but didn't have it in. Would it make a big difference?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
huge!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ohh also get stretching your calfs! it will stop some of the cramping in the areas you said, sounds like you don't have too much flexibility in the legs!

if it persists sometimes a small wedge under the footbed can help this also.

If your getting heal lift in a falcon you either have the worlds most skinny feet or the boot is a shell too big in my opinion...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chelseafc, got to agree with Dan, one of the only problems we see with teh falcon shell (or X3 CS as it is this year) is that if you go with the measured size you end up with a massive shell check and a boot too big, they are very long to size and it is not uncommon to drop a shell size at least to get a good fit..... this is why every fitter should be doing a shell check
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just got the full www.solutions4feet.co.uk treatment from snowHead CEM.
I too got one of the new Salomon custom fit heat-to-fit (cook rather than heat!) shells.
The standard fluffy footbeds are absolute rubbish! You MUST get a decent footbed in them! CEM sorted us out very well indeed.
I rescued them from the bin though, and they are now inserted into my slippers where they are just right for the job (but who goes skiing in sheepskin slippers?).

Great boots, but the worst supplied footbed I have ever seen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's great to know. Sorry I know very little about boots. I had the same pair for 10 years then just bought these. I didn't have time to put my footbeds in yesterday as was in such a hurry but wish I had made time now!! Thanks for the help.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 5-11-10 10:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chelseafc,

Are you saying you had the boots moulded to your feet without the footbeds in and then later you put in the footbeds?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
chelseafc,

Are you saying you had the boots moulded to your feet without the footbeds in and then later you put in the footbeds?

the impression i got was they have not been moulded yet

but i am not sure the footbed is going to cure substancial heel lift
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes not been moulded yet as the heater was at the ski show. Going back this weekend to get moulded and will take my footbeds/get new ones if mine aren't up to scratch (done about 10 weeks on them). Was just told to try at ski dome before I returned but he probably assumed I would put the footbeds in as I told him I had some. I had no idea they made such a difference. But I do now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chelseafc, Where are you skiing this winter?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chevalier in March is all I have booked. Why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
DB wrote:
chelseafc,

the impression i got was they have not been moulded yet

but i am not sure the footbed is going to cure substancial heel lift

Was thinking that maybe the boots had been moulded without the footbed in and then with the footbed added the feet didn't sit properly in the boot anymore. (i.e. the heel didn't sit in it's pocket) This might have also explained the cramps.

Mouldable liners are great but I sometimes worry how much moulding covers up the fact that the boot shell doesn't match the feet. Then not until the liner starts to pack does the badly fitting shell evident. (Had this problem with some foam injected boots). Do a shell size check !

I try to get new ski boots to fit like a tight fitting glove that is very snug allover, almost uncomfortable. In time they pack out a little and fit better becoming more comfortable without losing performance.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chelseafc, Just wondered if you were swinging by Cham, your user name got you free work for life. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Why thanks, I keep that in mind! lol I've always fancied Cham and never been so I'll let you know if I decide to visit.
latest report
chelseafc wrote:
Well they really were disappointing in that my heel kept rising

how much is it lifting, is it sitting in the heel and lifting or is your foot sliding forward and then being allowed to lift?
snow conditions
I think it was just my heel lifting. I felt like about 1/4 inch but it was hard to tell. My foot didn't seem to move around. I kept tightening the boots up gradually to see if this helped and that was when the foot cramp kicked in. So I loosened the foot buckles which helped stop the foot cramp a bit but then I started to get slight cramp in my calfs.

The calf cramp could have been the after affect of the 2hr 20mins car journey though? Maybe should have warmed up? Smile
ski holidays
calf cramp could be the effect of having not very flexible calves. i suffer the same and i still remember with fondness having to go to the physio and get electric shocks through my calves after getting a bit too ambitious on my first day in new boots Cool
ski holidays
Can non flexible calfs come on in later life (i'm 29)? I've never had a problem with my calfs before. The only aches I get from skiing usually is the front of the top half of my legs, Apparently poor technique, which goes a few days into the holiday. Arno, how do you stop your calf cramps? Is warming up enough?
latest report
chelseafc, I just make sure I stretch them year round
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
chelseafc, Just wondered if you were swinging by Cham, your user name got you free work for life. Toofy Grin

Hi! My name is ChelseaFC_Lady - the troublemaker formerly known as Zero-G Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks for everyones help. I went back to have them heat moulded today and was persuaded by the bootfitter that this would help with the cramp and heel lift. I've tried on around the house tonight and they do feel better (although they never felt bad whilst not skiing) so I'll take them for another go at Hemel Hempstead when by brother goes for his next freestyle lesson. I did a shell check as suggested and it was about a 15mm gap, maybe a little more so that seem ok?

thanks again Smile
snow report
15mm sounds good to me! as said upto 20mm in my opinion is pretty exceptable for a comfortable fit.
snow report
dansmith, Or just push the boat right out, let's say, 30mm to be on the safe side. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
well if I'm hungover...
snow report
dansmith, Probably delete that one mate.
latest report
Is there any difference in the forward angle from your old boots? New boots may be making you lean onto your toes.

Do you feel like your weight is flat along your foot or to the front?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
dansmith, Probably delete that one mate.

ahhh its fine I'm only joking about! We try to do the best for our customers.
snow conditions
dansmith, Novel concept. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The Joys of retail!

on another topic boot related while I have you attention... a good narrow boot with a high instep (ladies)? I'm really struggling with a customer at the moment and could do with another idea... (I was going to be ringing colin 2mo...)
latest report
Krypton, the cabriolet design offers plenty of options for such issues. Otherwise, Nordica HR 105 lady.
snow conditions
daehwons wrote:
Is there any difference in the forward angle from your old boots? New boots may be making you lean onto your toes.

Do you feel like your weight is flat along your foot or to the front?

I'm not sure about the angle but I did try my old ones on yesterday to compare and the only obvious difference was the new ones felt tighter over the top of the foot, the angle didn't seem noticeably different.

My foot feels flat just walking around. Whether or not this changes when skiing I'm not sure. I remember thinking at the snow centre it felt like I was using my toes to hang on and try and stop the heel lift. I'm hoping with the heat moulding and the footbeds this will help. Certainly walking around tonight they did feel like a lot less movement in the heel but I think I need to test them on snow to know for sure.
ski holidays
krypton sounds interesting may have to suck up to the suppliers, thanks!
snow conditions
Went back to Hemel last night to re test out my boots. Can't believe the difference really. They were great. No real heel lift to speak of, feet felt comfortable, other than one bit of cramp which went and didn't return and I had no problems with my calfs at all. I really didn't think a footbed and heat moulding would make such a differnce.

Thanks for all the advice you gave. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy