Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another touring thread....... updated got a pair :)

Poster: A snowHead
I fancy getting a pair of touring skis this winter. The touring skis would only get used in Scotland, little trips out in the Pentlands, if we get snow like the last few years, or further north on days when the snows not great or days when it is great and the lifts would be really busy. I have a pair of Volkl Bridges which I mainly ski and really like and also have a piste pair for if it's really icy. I've been looking at cheap, second hand skis with bindings and skins on Ebay, something like the URL Vokl Snow Wolf but would I enjoy skiing this ski or should I look for something more like my Bridges and accept it will cost more. I'm tempted to get something cheap then upgrade if I use them a lot but if I don't enjoy skiing them down then I wouldn't use them a lot Puzzled Money is an issue as I'm a poor student and already spend way too much of my meagre income on skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 20-11-10 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy some marker barons and whack 'em on your bridges, done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski on Snow Wolfs all the time. A great ski for touring, and I can live with them on piste if not pushing too hard, and not on ice. BUT...I'm looking for a better "all mountain" ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got nice bindings on my Bridges though and that would surely be really heavy, more for exploring from lifts?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, yep, heavy lol. Fine for an hour or two hiking, not much more than though. Guess it depends on how far you want to tour, but barons/dukes are just as good on the downhill as an alpine binding.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, snow wolfs are pretty bomber skis and still light. I'm surprised that bruce leggott has had such an issue with them on ice, maybe it's just the edges need sorting?

IMO the Wolfs would suit what you are looking for to get you started for cheap. Try for some Marker FT10s or maybe Fritishi Eagles. If you can justify it then Dynafit is the only way to go... the problem is you then need new boots, OTTH you could score an older touring set up w/ Dynafits & skins by watching ebay.de
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bridges will likely be around twice the weight of the Snow-wolfs. IMO 95mm is too wide for an allround touríng ski too. Unless you are superfit by the time you skin up you will be too knackered to get the best out of the bridges.

Yes the Snow-wolfs (have two pairs of that exact same model) chatter at higher speeds on the piste, they get knocked around more than freeride skis in 'lumpy' offpiste conditions but their low weight to performance ratio is good and for such a narrow ski they are not too bad at all in powder. Back in 2005/06 they were one of the best touring skis in their class. They did beef up the Snow-wolf around 2007/08 (all blue ski see link below) but this increased the weight.

Test in German.
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/ski-presse-nr-13-februar-2009-maerz-2009/149591.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, how did you know?..... yes, I am very slack about edge tuning, though tbh the Snow Wolfs were not fantastic on ice from new. My weight? That said I have thoroughly enjoyed them as my only skis for the past 4-5 years. They are great in powder imo. And don't forget that they come with their own skins, so no extra expense there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB..."such a narrow ski".... isn't it interesting that we now think that of a ski that when new seemed to be a step forward towards a "wide ski" category? An indication of how trends and innovation move our perceptions and assumptions to new levels.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bruce leggott wrote:
DB..."such a narrow ski".... isn't it interesting that we now think that of a ski that when new seemed to be a step forward towards a "wide ski" category? An indication of how trends and innovation move our perceptions and assumptions to new levels.

Yes probably 10% technology, 90% trend / fashion. With long tours normal skis (non-touring) are just too heavy for most people. Out of interest, how heavy are you and what length skis do you have?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok thanks, what sort of length should I be looking at then for a ski like this, I ski my piste skis about 160-170, my bridges are 177?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, short skis suck, long skis truck...

bruce leggott, I never sharpen my edges, but having the right angles can make a lot of difference...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A pair of second hand Snow Wolfs with Fritschis and skins just went for £400 on ebay Shocked

About double what I was planning to spend, you can get brand new, this seasons skis and bindings for not much more than that and brand new skis from a few seasons ago for less than that from Sport Conrad!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a full touring set up for sale. See the ad here, http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=432576

Swaily
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lynseyf,

A new setup (Skis, binding and skins) via Sport Conrad will cost circa €650-€700 new. (550-600 GBP)

What size skis are you looking for? I have a pair of unused 170cm Snow-wolfs http://www.volkl.com/ski_05/mountain_snow_wolf.html (never drilled), matching tailored skins (that I renewed the glue on last year) and a pair of lightly used Fritschi freerides (my spare pair I put on another ski but never toured on - white circa 2006 vintage). Thinking of going dynafit and wider so it may be wise to shift them putting the money towards a new set-up. I'm in Austria so post might kill it but if anyone is interested and is coming over to Austria I could deliver by hand.
ski holidays
lynseyf, if you're looking for someone to go skiing up the pentlands with, post here at the time and i'll be along... it's the whole reason i got Barons on my new skis. Just need the skins and safety equipment (and the knowledge to use it) now. Very Happy
latest report
lynseyf if your looking for a cheap solution for Scotland then Parlors suggestion of simply mounting Fritschi Eagles or Marker F12s on your Volkls is a good one.Other options would be Marker Baron... or perhaps some second hand Fritschi Freerides? Good downhill performance and still light enough for touring excursions over the backside of Cairngorm etc. Nice versatile set up - and it will get you getting into touring and away from the pistes.

Its only worth getting a dedicated touring ski if you also intend to buy touring boots. Dedicated touring skis (such as the Snowwolf) are aimed at alpine touring. Light weight for haute route type excursions and 1000m ascents. From your description dont think its actually what your after ? Bridge, or similar, will be much nicer downhill.

Pentands were really good last Hogmanay Very Happy

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/photostrs/hillendpentlands.shtml
latest report
ah just noticed all the helpful replies on this thread after my last post, never saw them earlier, sorry!

Anyway just got a pair of Volkl Walls with Ftitschis and skins from ebay.de well pleased Smile I've been pretty happy on all Volkls I've skied so hopefully these will be the same Smile

shoogly, give me a shout if there's snow, I work in Roslin so was thinking of some night touring mid week at the back of the Flotterstone Inn Twisted Evil

I bought a compass and OS map a few weeks ago and went for a wander in the Pentlands to try and suss out some routes, it's lovely around Bonaly

Haggis_Trap, Hillend looks great we hiked up the Pentlands on the second but were at Glenshee on New Years day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy