Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski at christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi any recommendations of a cheapish resort that is likely to have snow over the christmas / new year period.

Looking at flying into chambery or Geneva, would like a short transfer i.e. up to 1.5 hours or happy to travel via train

I can ski reds and my boyfriend Blacks

Any help greatfully received

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Hi any recommendations of a cheapish resort that is likely to have snow over the christmas / new year period.

I'll stick to bringing world peace thanks very much. rolling eyes

Seriously though tonsky, it's a premium week and at that time of the year folks know to head high, which is the only real guarantee of snow if booking in advance.

Have you looked at the price of flights yet?

I think your best bet would be to book late, keeping a close eye on conditions and weather forecasts and be flexible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luckily i work in travel so flights no problem and can be totally flexible was just after some ideas of where previously has had snow i know its not a god given there will be any.

Im not great knowing all the ski resports especially in france hence after some suggestions thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a thread further down with a title "I've just booked a ski holiday", looks like a great deal inc flights, over Christmas week to Les Deux Alpes. There's a glacier even if there's no snow in town (they ski on it pretty much all year round).

It's where we're heading.

We've been away Christmas and New Year the last couple of years, we were very low this year - Ellmau, snow was a bit dodgy in town, but fine up the mountain. Been fine everywhere else we've been to though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow fantastic thanks hammerite ill have a look cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Tonsky - too early to know what snow conditions will be like over Christmas / NY.

I would take Layne's advice - book flights to GVA now (and possibly sort a hire car if that's what you're planning to do).

TOs have cut capacity down in last 2 years but you should be able to still find a decent deal nearer the time if that's what you decide to do.

I've only boarded in Europe 3 times at this time of year - Val Thorens (France), and St Anton and Kaprun (Austria).

We were extremely lucky with conditions.

Best snow I've experienced at that time of year was in Whistler in 2006 but that would set you back quite a lot if you're just after a cheap deal.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Espace Killy is high, so either Tignes or Val D'Isere - reasonable from Chambery, or around 2.5 hours from Geneva I think. Other than that, I think Flaine is often suggested here for its proximity to Geneva and reasonable reliability snow-wise.

Bear in mind that Chambery does close sometimes due to adverse weather which can force a change of plans at short notice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fantastic thanks all im going to see what i can come up with tonight

I am luckily off to bannf on the 29th so just trying to get a few days practise in hehe
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
just after some ideas of where previously has had snow

I would say any resort at 1300m or above you will have snow. Certainly I have been to 3V, Paradiski, ADH and the Arlberg, either in late December or early January and always had snow. It's not always been fresh or top dollar skiing but most runs open, etc. I am going to ADH on Dec 18th staying at 1300m, and I expect to be skiing home every day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you book late you can afford to head lower if it's cold/snowy. Espace Killy etc will have pretty guaranteed snow but could also be cold and bleak and windy and miserable in those dark mid winter days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have been skiing for the last four Christmases. I usually book about now. Go to Rocketski for great deals. The accommadation is basic, but if you are there for the skiing it is not important.

For info we have been to Serre Chevalier, Morzine, Risoul and Westendorf. The latter had the least snow and it dumped in Serre last year. LDA this year, and it is snowing already!! Very Happy

BTW, Christmas is much cheaper than New Year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Christmas is much cheaper than New Year.

Just to clarify this: the week leading up to and sometimes including xmas day is cheaper. This year xmas is on the Saturday - "transfer day". Next year it will be on Sunday and "transfer day" will be NYE. Maybe prices will alter slightly accordingly.

The apartment we are staying is priced as follows this year:

11th Dec 200
18th Dec 300
25th Dec 400
1st Jan 200
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tonsky, I suggest you have a look at La Rosiere, www.larosiere.net we always ski there at Xmas, we have a chalet in the village and we've never had a problem with snow cover, the village is high at 1850 metres and it's usually in the top 5 French resorts for snowfall, you'll find lots of info on the Tourist Office website. Christmas is usually quiet because the French and belgiums tend to stay at home for Xmas and go skiing New Year's week. It's just about within 1.5 hours from Chambery by car but the nearest train station is Bourgt St Maurice 23 kms away. The train is a very easy way to get there, there's an overnight (sleeper) service from Paris which runs every night of the year and arrives around 06.00am. The Torist Office provide a centralised booking service for apartments and the village is small enough for location not to matter too much, there's also a free ski navette service around the village.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Quote:
Christmas is much cheaper than New Year.

Just to clarify this: the week leading up to and sometimes including xmas day is cheaper. This year xmas is on the Saturday - "transfer day". Next year it will be on Sunday and "transfer day" will be NYE. Maybe prices will alter slightly accordingly.

The apartment we are staying is priced as follows this year:

11th Dec 200
18th Dec 300
25th Dec 400
1st Jan 200

Who wants to pack up and move out on Christmas day or, worse, NYD?

For once, this is the time to see what the tour operators have got to offer (loads actually and the prices falling) because they are going something like tuesday-tuesday over Christmas and New Year which means vacating on 28th... much more civilised.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Who wants to pack up and move out on Christmas day or, worse, NYD?

My wife is German and they celebrate on christmas eve. Christmas day is not particularly special. Not sure if that applies anywhere else. I am not big on NYE but I can see for some it would be an issue.

Just a quick check on www.skicollection.co.uk, whom I wouldn't recommend unless you have money to burn shows this:

Due to Christmas and New Year's day falling on a Saturday this residence will offer an arrival day for Christmas week on Sunday 19th December for 7 nights, for New Year week on Sunday 26th December for 7 nights and for Sunday 2nd January for 7 nights. The following arrival on Sunday 9th January will be for 6 nights departing on Saturday 15th January.

I'm guess there might be a fair bit of this juggling going on this year.
latest report
My Polish colleague is heading back from her holiday on Christmas day as they're not too bothered. As Bode says, we've gone with a TO and going Tuesday-Tuesday which suits us fine.

New Year would've been a problem for us as Jnr and the OH (teacher) have to back at school.
latest report
just for your info our transfer home after xmas week in Tignes is boxing day. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

it is snowing already!!

but snow in early November - or lack of snow early November - is really pretty much unrelated to what it will be doing at Christmas. We've had some very good Christmas cover in recent years, but it can't be relied upon and you can't use current conditions/weather as a guide until early December at the earliest. That's why last minute booking (by which I'd mean a week or so before) can be a good idea. Why head for a featureless wilderness without a tree in sight if there's lots of lovely white stuff at 1300m? Equally, acres of green pasture at 1300m can be a tad depressing if you were hoping to ski on it.
ski holidays
Our charter flights for Christmas and NY are Monday to Monday this year. Not sure how that affects later dates though!
latest report
ktk we are in Selva with Crystal in December on the 20th for a week
snow conditions
thankyou so much plenty of info to look through ill let you know what we get booked
latest report
I've often heard that the Catskill Mountains in New York State is a great place to visit for skiing and engaging in other winter activities. I can't pinpoint any sort of particular resorts, but I know my Aunt visits there all the time and she has the time of her life. I'll be sure to ask her about the resorts she visits soon enough and I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, I'll take down everyone's suggestions. Smile

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy