Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children are terrible at judging . . .SLOW speeds?

Poster: A snowHead
Report from Science Daily.

Quote:
"When you throw something slowly to a child, you think you're doing them a favor by trying to be helpful," says Terri Lewis, professor of psychology at McMaster University. "Slow balls actually appear stationary to a child."

This explains why a young child holding a bat or a catcher's mitt will often not react to a slowly tossed ball, prompting flummoxed parents to continue throwing the ball even slower.

By adding a little speed to the pitch, Lewis and her team found that children were able to judge speed more accurately.

"Our brain has very few neurons that deal specifically with slow motion and many neurons that deal with faster motion," says Lewis. "Even adults are worse at slow speeds than they are at faster speeds."

The full study apparently hasn't been published yet. However, in the interview for CBC radio, we find that the experiment wasn't based on ball throwing at all.

(The interview is on Segment 2 of the broadcast- fast forward your RealPlayer to minute 17)

The study was apparently based on tracking of stripes across a computer screen. The statement made is that at speeds equivalent to an object moving across the visual field at 1/4km/h at one meter distance children are three times worse than adults, the difference significantly diminishing at speeds equivalent to 1km/h (viewed from 1 meter away).

Is this significant to parents of protoskiers and future pros?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Let us assume that a natural avoidance distance is 2 ski turn radii, probably 18 meters for junior skis. The equivalent speeds across the visual field are then 4,5km/h and 18km/h.

The scary part comes if we compute the case of a 1m wide rock 18m away. To achieve the tested angular velocities of the top or lateral edge of the rock as it increases in apparent size, the velocity of the child towards the rock is 12,9km/h and 51,6km/h respectively.

Feel free to check the maths.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, thanks for the info, this means I HAVE to throw the rugby ball to my youngest VERY quickly indeed Twisted Evil

What are the ages of the test groups BTW
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maths aside, I've seen four year old skiers that can turn on a sixpence. Reaction times that would put many adult snowsports enthusiasts to shame. Eye brain coordination that means they can thrash their parents at virtually any computer game rolling eyes. So where does that fit in?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I'm not sure that's just children. In my cricketing days, I was far more more comfortable against faster bowlers. (OK, I never got to face anyone like Steve Harmison). Against slow bowlers, a loopy trajectory is hard to pick (especially if the ball spends a significant amount of time above the batsman's eyeline) and you have time to change your mind several times before playing the shot - often resulting in neither playing forward nor back and making a terrible hash of things, in my case anyway. Against a faster bowler, you can just play instinctively and the flatter trajectory makes thing easier. Not relevant to the argument, but you can also use the pace of the ball, either in a genuine shot or with little snicks, to pierce the field without too much muscular effort!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, I think that's the difference between which area of your brain is doing the computing. If you leave it to your brain/body to sort it out (instinct) then it may (dependant on experience) do a better job than you if you're thinking through the whole job yourself.

How much mental input do you put into walking?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, it depends how much I've had to drink! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This theory helps me explains why the kids say " but Dad its easier to ski when we go faster"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, the kids are right, it is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So the "Drive more slowly - don't kill a child!" campaign is wrong? rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman,

actually it helps explain why they don't learn if you go slower.

laundryman, good point; there was a brief mention of this in the real audio segment.

marc gledhill, no idea, study gets published in July. Notice that this only relates to visual field perception, not kinesthetic learning, say, and that it is based on statistical groups. If you believe temporal centers get developed through use, maybe you should send the kids out with a football?

PG, the study was (virtually Razz ) done with computer games! Remember, the issue is of perception, not reflexes. You're right, however, the assumption of 2 ski radii was based upon the carved turn.

Set your own conditions. If we take all units in meters and hours, the rock example above (width 1 meter) comes to a time differentiation of

Θ(t)=atan(1/r(t))

Θ'(t)=(1/(1+(1/r^2))*(-1/r^2)*r'(t)

therefore
r'(t)= -Θ'(t)(r^2+1)

So, from the above conditions, Vkid in meters/hr, dist in meters:

Vkid1= (125/Π)*(dist^2+1), Vkid2=(500/Π)*(dist^2+1)

Pick your own distances and reaction times. Remember also that reflexes in a non-intuitive sport need to be trained for a proper outcome. It is that training that is called into question.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 10-05-05 16:55; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, I don't give an analytical expression for Voldgoat.
It's a mutivariate problem, barely numerically computable at border conditions for (time, money, drink, women, ego).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Sorry, but pass me the thickie baton. What is Voldgoat Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And mutivariate Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi wrote:
comprex, Sorry, but pass me the thickie baton. What is Voldgoat Puzzled

Adult Vkid. A function of more than one variable.
snow report
maggi, comprex is assuming everyone is familiar with the naming schemes of scientists, Voldgoat = "velocity of old goat". Toofy Grin

Mutivariate is a mistyping of Multivariate meaning having multiple variables. Be careful I might tell a computer joke next and everyone (especially Mrs H) will look at me pitying.
ski holidays
Just try hitting those really easy slow balls in squash Crying or Very sad
latest report
Ian Hopkinson, my turn Embarassed

Hey, they got this far in the thread.
snow conditions
Scarpa, yep same as cricket. Complete mis-cues are hard to deal with - it's the slow loopy trajectory again, coupled with the spin making the ball seem distorted (I've never quite worked out why that should be so). Again, having your opponent thrash the ball and using the pace they generate whilst conserving your own effort is a useful tactic for an old g1t like me. snowHead
ski holidays
comprex, Ian Hopkinson, Thanks for that. Physics "O" level was many years ago and I haven't done any since. I thought, at first, that mutivariate was a typo but then thought it might be something to do with mutant variables (from old, scary maths "O" level Madeye-Smiley ).
Quote:

I might tell a computer joke next

Don't bother - I probably wouldn't understand it, anyway Confused
snow report
maggi, Embarassed I'm not as good at typing at 1:35 am as I thought.

This could have been subtitled the 'Crowded Beginner Piste' thread, and I'll admit to trolling for the views of some of the instructors who post here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy