Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help with SNCF train booking please

Poster: A snowHead
I booked train tickets for my son and husband very early this morning for half term on the SNCF website (first time used) - managed to get good prices/times Very Happy but made a mess of the rest of it Embarassed. SNCF wouldn't take our usual, valid-for-ages credit card (Tesco fraud alert) so I used one of mine - I assumed I would be able to print tickets as for Eurostar but no, have to get tickets from self service machines in France with payment card. However my card expires at the end of Jan - failed to notice this (too early/too stupid) so that won't work. Emailed SNCF but they answered a different question to the one I asked so before I tackle them again I wonder if anyone knows how these things work - SNCF website implies that, having booked on sncf site, I can get my tickets from Raileurope if I pay £8 (very happy to do so) but can't get through to Raileurope to find out if this is true. My emergency plan is to take a day trip to Calais as I hope to be going to Cambridge in early Dec (son's interview if he gets one) and it's only a 90 mile detour!

I know it would be simpler to fly/drive/use coach but my husband has always wanted to travel by train in a couchette - bet he won't want to do it twice. Any advice/knowledge would be welcome Smile . Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AW, I am pretty sure I've done this in the past. The new card worked to get the tickets with no problem. If not, you can always use the ticket office.. just take a print of your booking reference
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski, that's reassuring, thanks. I have another plan now as I hear a rumour there's a yellow SNCF machine at St Pancras so just have to find someone going to London to try that. I would rather get the tickets before they go if possible as they don't speak French and the trains are pretty booked up that weekend if something goes wrong - the email I got from SNCF was a bit stern! However the idea of a pre-Christmas shopping trip is not unattractive, despite the strong Euro...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AW, can't help but you have my sympathies. I'm battling with european railway journeys (2 or perhaps 3 countries) too - it's just like the old days in colonial west Africa where the rail gauges changed at the (arbitrary) colonial boundaries between British and French administrations and a man with a red petticoat in a cleft stick would run back up the line to a signal box.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AW, The seat61.com website says " www.raileurope.co.uk will post tickets (£1.95 charge) to any UK address or allow ticket collection on departure from St Pancras or French stations (free)." even thought the rail europe website doesn't mention it. The St Pnacras website doesn;t mention it either but you can email them here http://www.stpancras.com/contact/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, thanks - seems reasonable but I thought that bit refers to journeys from outside France (may be wrong though). I just booked Paris-Alps - already had Lon-Paris tickets which fortunately connect with today's booking. I shall email St P though just in case - thank you. I have been poring over the info on seat61.com - it's a fantastic website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AW, it may not help you with this one, but I normally book through www.TGV-europe.com (which seems to be the site sncf links me to when I put in Great Britain as home country), and they post tickets to home free of charge - the actually come from Belgium. As they're part of/owned by SNCF maybe it's worth giving them a try though if you get nowhere with SNCF direct. It's always worked for me so far (and I also got some dirt cheap tickets this morning - now gone up €100 since I booked). Only downside is that I find little in the way of contact deatils if anything goes wrong (e.g. emails to them elicited nothing last Xmas, but fortunately Estar refunded the French part of the ticket for me even though I'd booked through TGV-europe).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, thanks, yes I've found out about that site now (I'll know for next year!) - didn't take notice of the country bit Embarassed as assumed I would be printing the tickets. It sounds a better way to do it! I was in a bit of a rush (and half asleep) this morning as I wanted the cheaper tickets at convenient times and knew they'd go fast. The good news is that I spoke to Raileurope eventually and they will print my tickets at their office for £8 so I will send my brother there when he is in London at the end of the month. If that doesn't work there's always Calais... And I did get them a first class couchette as requested for 70€ for the start of the Paris half term (now 160) so could be worse! It was amazing how fast the prem tickets went. I'll be better at this next year - and only 2 more half term skiing holidays to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi guys - have you been able to book lunea tickets? I'm trying to book for the 4th Feb, but I can only get TGV tickets which I assume are seats rather than in a couchette - is there some sort of blackout for lunea tickets that week, as I can book them for the return part - maybe engineering work near austerlitz? So confused as I thought you could only book 90 days in advance, but I can book for the return on 8th Feb, but nothing out between the 29th Jan and 4th Feb. Would appreciate any advice! Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Foobio, I took the train Paris-BSM a couple of years ago. It was TGV outbound (from Paris Lyon) and Lunea (to Paris Austerlitz) on the return. And, yes, the TGV was seats, not couchettes. However, I suspect you'll get a good price on 1st class this far in advance and the 1st class seats are very comfortable reclining seats.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Foobio, I had a look too and it seems that that week is a lunea-free zone - wonder if it's because they are getting them all ready for the half term rush? - according to various articles I have read they put every train/carriage available into service then. Or maybe there are some engineering works, as you said, which need to be completed before they can definitely sell tickets. At least the TGV will be very cheap, as dmac442, says. Or you could get the TGV on the Saturday and stay overnight in Paris. Good luck!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks dmac442 & AW, I booked a nice cheap first class TGV out, and the lunea back Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello,,, I´m Swedish and living in france,,, this is a problem, I had the same problem when I still lived in Sweden,,, but now, when I have my bluecard with Visa, ther is never problem,, U af to accept to have youtr tickets from Raileurope,,, its very difficult to have the french system to accept other system then theit own,,, but france is a nice country with alot of nice people and great mountain,,,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I booked some tickets last season that were meant to be issued by machine at the station in Paris. Even though I was using the same card they were bought with, the machine still refused to cough up the tickets. I sought out the ticket office, presented my issue and with a typical 'no big deal' shrug the man behind the window issued me them. Apparently this is quite common with foreign credit cards.
latest report
What time do the tickets normally go on sale? Is it 6am UK time?

As it happens I'm booking my outward journey tonight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy