Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble ski resort access. Landslide within 10 years?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to a report on FR3, engineers estimate the likelihood of a major landslide along the RN91 from Grenoble up the Romanche Valley (somewhere near Bourg d'Oisans?) as "probable within 10 years"! This is the main access to resorts such as Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, La Grave.

There are plans to divert traffic through a tunnel in the longer term, but in the immediate future the most urgent need is to divert various water courses that find their way through the mountains, and are contributing to the instability of the massif.

A report was presented to the press and local authorities today, with engineers stating that in the region of the "Séchilienne Ruins", 20 kms along the valley above Grenoble, a whole section of the mountain was unstable, with a landslide of 3 million m3. "probable" within 10 years, and one of anything between 10 and 20 million m3. "possible within a decade or three".

A lake would form, with a natural dam that could give way, threatening the Grenoble area.

Although an extremely expensive project, engineer Philippe Huet suggested that the figure should be compared to the potential cost of a disaster both financially (anything up to a billion euros) and in terms of human lives.

Original report (in French) here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, this is worrying enough to make me not want to drive up the Romanche valley for a winter or spring trip. Do you think there an element of project finding for slack engineering trade? Not wishing to be too cynical but something like this would make someone very wealthy - perhaps Philippe Huet. I have no idea about how busy or not French civil engineering is now they have done HEP, autoroutes and that magnificent bridge.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been discussed on and off for some time (eg this report in the Humanité last June)

http://www.humanite.presse.fr/journal/2004-06-19/2004-06-19-395810

Yes the danger is real enough. Plenty of sites around the Alps where small slides happen pretty regularly, but the probability of a massive landslide in this location has been pretty much accepted by all parties.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is an old old problem, as old as the hills you could say. There was already a major landslide in the area about 15-20 years ago. It caused us a headache at the time because the road to l'Alpe d'Huez etc was blocked by millions of tonnes of rubble until the Army built a temporary diversion (now permenant) and put in a couple of pontoon bridges. This is all visible as you travel up the valley. The problem is between Vizille and Livet and Gavet. The road was blocked for a weekend this winter by a landslide and cars reguarly get crushed by falling rocks in the area. I'm told by a fireman that the occupants don't look too great.

The whole of the Chartreuse is also unstable and under high surveillance - Grenoble could be completely wiped out by a landslide with more force than the Hiroshima bombs. Then again there is an Asteroid 10km across that will pass a few thousand miles from Earth in 2027. Look, best bet, avoid the mountains, they are dangerous.

The risk of a lake should not be too great as they have already dug a diversion tunnel for the Romanche river in case so my guess is that the authorities will wait and see and deal with it when it happens. With the la Mure ramp going in access via the Col d'Ornon (and by Chamrousse) will mean the area isn't cut off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend of ours is currently trying to buy a house near there, almost next to N91-bet he hasn't been told about it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buyer beware! Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont wrote:
A friend of ours is currently trying to buy a house near there, almost next to N91-bet he hasn't been told about it.

Depends exactly where it is but the Notaire should turn anything up. Séchilienne is quite a nice village now the bypass is in - although some of the residents could work as extras for Deliverance II if you know what I mean? Just above Séchilienne on the south slopes there is a small road that leads to Chamrousse and this is a really pleasant place with little risk of landslide.

Still they have done huge wonders to the 91. When we used to drive up to Les Deux Alpes 15 years ago it was like going back in time. The part from Bourg to the lac Chambon was single track and poorly surfaced for much of the way... the road used to wend its windy way along the top of the gorge with "stunning" views to the rapids of the Romache some 500 m below.

Some people I know tried to buy this place in Gavet:

Which if you have watched the "Crimson Rivers" film with Jean Reno you will recognise as the spooky Nazi doctor's house.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
the "Crimson Rivers" film with Jean Reno you will recognise as the spooky Nazi doctor's house.

Looks like an excellent film. Anyone have a copy I can borrow? Preferably subtitled rather than dubbed Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting. I had understood that the tunnel had been (at least temporarily) shelved due to lack of government funding - it being too expensive for the region. I don't think anyone should panic though - I've been driving up and down that road for 15 years and have never even been hit by one flying stone. I should think the percentage chance of a casual visitor being involved in a landslide is 0.00?%
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Davidof/Charlotte - Is that house still on the market then? It looks pretty run down when you drive past, but would be one hell of a place if you had time/money to sort it out. "Where do you live?", "Oh, over a raging torrent on stilts" - ace! Safest place in the valley when the Barrage du Chambon collapses wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulmck wrote:
Davidof/Charlotte - Is that house still on the market then?

I'm not sure but last time I went by about a month ago I got the impression that it was currently lived in and might actually be divided into flats. It is a seriously weird place, I've heard locals refer to it as the "engineer's house" so I guess someone important built and lived in it when the factories were all working.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulmck, I didn't know it was for sale. I wouldn't like to live in it personally (wouldn't feel safe), but it's apity the building is so run down and dirty. It could be truly spectacular.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, it's a large building in the village of Livet on the way up the road in question. The end part of the top storey juts out on stilts over the river. Huge and truly spectacular - one for that TV programme about 7 year projects I think?????
Look for it on your way past. Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My dream house....every time we pass it I wish it was mine! Couldn't afford the upkeep though...when I win the lottery you'll be able to see the renovation on Grand Designs (well I can dream can't I?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the main part is occupied as apartments but the 'flying freehold' element looks empty. We always comment what a scary place it looks particularly in that gloomy part of the valley which never appears to get any sun, wouldn't fancy it as a fixer-upper myself!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy