Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHAT JACKET TO GET?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy a new jacket and willing to spend between £200-£350. What are some good jackets in this range? Need some snowheads advise!

Norrona
North Face
Arcteryx
Salomon

Etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-11-10 20:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't really go wrong with the 3 layer goretex pro shell jackets form the likes of Norrona, Haglofs, North Face (summit series), Arcteryx, Mountain Equipment, etc - generally companies with alpine/mountaineering links always seem to make top notch gear. Really it just depends on you preferences re fit, pockets, zips and colour. Shop around though, you can aften find decent discounts on last years jackets etc (guess there aren't many people willing to pay the full retail price!).

Also what sort of jacket do you want? Just a shell (no insulation) which is very flexible as you can wear as many/few thermals as you need depending on temp, down jacket to keep you warm in uber cold temps, something in between?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 3-11-10 19:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even Spyder has a very good jacket at £350. Always personal preference. Beware Fraser some people can get very emotional on this subject! Strange but true.
Obvious points are some sort of Goretex (you know what I mean 20,000 whatever they are is good). Visibility, a powder skirt, a good hood for the bad weather, and in my case I like a balaclava insert. A pocket for the lift pass on the sleeve is alo a must in my opinion. You must of course like yourself in it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fraser13j, The best ski jacket I've ever had was a Helly Hansen - I still have it but after a few years, just wanted something different - I'd wear it again without hesitation. I have skied in very cold temperatures (-17 deg), falling snow, biting wind and also fine weather, and have never felt cold or got wet, and in warmer weather, there are plenty of vents to open so an all-round comfortable jacket. I bought it at a HH shop in an outlet village for about £70, but the ticket price of £220 IIRC. Highly recommended
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to agree with Anniepen, the Helly Outlet Store at Bicester village is where we always go, I paid £70 for a RRP£399 Jacket
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Equipment Changabang was the one I plumped for. More of a technical mountineering/climbing/skiing shell but boy does it work well!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a look at Sweet Protection. Highly rate their stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I LOVE my Norrona Lofoten. However, you did not say if you wanted a softshell or a hardshell???

There has been alot of good talk about the Montane Halo: http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/halo-stretch-jacket/270

There's a good review on youtube.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As long as it's red you will be fine Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just kidding, snow skirt if you are not an expert, big robust zips that you can use with gloves and pockets big enough for hat/ gloves if you get hot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Nike ACG goretex jacket paid £90 at Go Outdoors. Great jacket.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whichever one has the most pockets
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the salomon stuff! has a really good look this year and good tech for the money!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
Mountain Equipment Changabang was the one I plumped for. More of a technical mountineering/climbing/skiing shell but boy does it work well!!!

Me too. Great jacket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wandered into a Jack Wolfskin outlet last week - thought some of their skiwear not only looked quite good, but seemed to be quite comprehensive vis a vis protection/quality etc.
latest report
At the London ski show I bought an Arc'teryx Sabre shell jacket & pants (with the help of the 10% snowheads voucher at EB and VAT-free for export sales). Obviously I've not had a chance to try it yet, but it seems like really good quality, with a very nice design & fit and good waterproofing features.

This is my first shell jacket so I'm sure I'll go overboard in layers at first, but as I'll be skiing from end-November to end-April I wanted a jacket that would be versatile in all weather conditions.

The sizes for these come up big so I'd recommend trying it on in a shop and not ordering through mail order (at first at least). I'm normally a L or even XL for some clothing (44" chest, 34" waist), but for these a Medium was perfect - the L was like a tent on me.
snow report
I agree with Whitters: Over the years it seems that Arc'teryx (and others) have sized everything up one size (or I've shrunk)? I used to take everything in XL and now I only where L... and sometimes even an M if I don't intend to put on any thick layers.
ski holidays
clarky999, I am looking for something in between really, but thinking about both. Looking at the Norrona Down Jacket 750.

I have a very warm Salomon jacket which you zip a Primaloft jacket into at the moment. Quite like that just getting a little small now though. Is layers the way forward?

ie.

1 Thermal
2 Soft Shell
3 Hard Shell

Or just to get a soft shell?

Is it worth the money for a Arcteryx Stingray, Sabre Etc.

dansmith, Which Salomon would you recommend for this year. What is the 3:1 like. Is that with the zip in primaloft jacket in the middle?

HellBent, I like the look of Sweet, cant find a place with it to try it on. Have you got sweet yourself?
snow report
I always use a shell... much easier to regulate temps using layers. I oten ski with pit zips open and a high wicking t-shirt underneath in spring, yet even in Swedish winters I've only ever needed a thermal top and thin fleece jumper underneath it.
snow report
Scarpa, Is this a Hard Shell or Soft Shell?

Soft Shell is more comfortable I have heard.
snow report
Fraser13j, I got the 3:1 jacket last season. Take out the inner jacket, chuck it away, and the rest of it is great.
snow report
Fraser13j, shells and layers are ace, so flexible. I used to have a similar jacket to your salomon - a shell with zip in insulation, but I upgraded to a goretex (hard) shell this year. I find I get quite hot skiing, and I rarely need more than a tshirt under my shell, although I carry spare thermals just in case. On a really cold day (-20 windy blizzard sort of thing) I'd wear a good base layer, medium fleece then the insulation from my old jacket under the shell, although I picked up a downjacket in the sales the other day so may revise that a little... Spring skiing in a standard jacket must be horrendous heat/sweat wise...

Quote:

Is it worth the money for a Arcteryx Stingray, Sabre Etc

Depends. For me, yes, I like to get a long way form the pistes and I like to trust my gear, that might not be the case for you though. However, generally you do get what you pay for, and top notch gear should easily last 5+ years (more if you ski one or two weeks a year). Kind of the wrong time of year atm, but at the end of the season you should be able to pick one up half price (got my TNF shell for £120 down from £280 in the summer sales).

Quote:

I like the look of Sweet

From my experience of sweet (I have two of their helmets, one for skiing one for kayaking) they gear really is top notch awesomeness (and very sexy) but it is also generally more expensive even than norrona/haglofs etc whose kit is of the same high standard.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-11-10 23:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Fraser13j, Snow and Rock stock Sweet Outerwear.
snow report
Get a Norrona Lofoten and a sweet protection crusader one-piece fleece base layer. The best combination I have ever used. If it's really cold (and I mean really) I can use my Patagonia down sweater.

When I don't need a shell I use a soft shell jacket with windstopper.
snow report
Fraser13j, From memory the 3:1 jacket isn't primaloft, if it was it would add even more to the price! (I will double check my facts when i get to work later) Personally I really like the 3 layer shell jacket they did this year (came in blue, orange and black i think) I want to say its called the sideways jacket but I can't quite remember (its early for me) Personally I prefer to have a good quality shell jacket that I can then layer up under for warmth.

Get some icebreaker and you will be a happy chappy!
snow report
Can everyone please stop posting to this thread. I'm trying very hard not to buy a new jacket this season, you're all not helping.
snow report
Fraser13j wrote:
Is layers the way forward?

ie.

1 Thermal
2 Soft Shell
3 Hard Shell

Yes it's the way forward, but it's usually

1. Base (whicking) Layer.
2. Thermal.
3. Shell.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Fraser13j wrote:
Is layers the way forward?

ie.

1 Thermal
2 Soft Shell
3 Hard Shell

Yes it's the way forward, but it's usually

1. Base (whicking) Layer.
2. Thermal.
3. Shell.

I do

1. T Shirt base
2. Long sleeve T
3. Shell

Then if it's cold add a thin fleece under the shell, if warm remove Long sleeve T. Seems to have worked for me from -20 to +20!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't get emotive about it but I would second (or third!) Anniepen & livetoski and say go to HH at Bicester Village or similar. I love my HH which has served me well for years. Normally just have a thermal vest under, and fleece if it's really cold. Pit zips work really well.
ski holidays
Fraser13j wrote:
Looking at the Norrona Down Jacket 750.

unless you really feel the cold, that will be too hot for skiing IMO
snow report
Agree with Kitenski. A 150 weight Icebreaker T-Shirt works for me as a base. Always keeps my core warm without ever getting too hot which I hate. A long sleeved T of the same weight is normally enough on a colder day.
snow conditions
in answer to some of the posts about soft shell under harshell - In below -10 I do wear a soft shell gilet under an Arcteryx hard shell. If you are then bootpacking or skinning taking off the hardshell is an easy option. My wife wears a mountain equipment soft shell jacket under her hard shell if it is really cold. So you can do things a number of ways.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Fraser13j wrote:
Looking at the Norrona Down Jacket 750.

unless you really feel the cold, that will be too hot for skiing IMO

Don't get this as your main ski jacket. You will shred it on ski edges etc. It is a down jacket with minimal protection.
ski holidays
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+event+vs+goretex
snow report
Fraser13j wrote:
clarky999, I am looking for something in between really, but thinking about both. Looking at the Norrona Down Jacket 750.

I have a very warm Salomon jacket which you zip a Primaloft jacket into at the moment. Quite like that just getting a little small now though. Is layers the way forward?

ie.

1 Thermal
2 Soft Shell
3 Hard Shell

Or just to get a soft shell?

Is it worth the money for a Arcteryx Stingray, Sabre Etc.

dansmith, Which Salomon would you recommend for this year. What is the 3:1 like. Is that with the zip in primaloft jacket in the middle?

HellBent, I like the look of Sweet, cant find a place with it to try it on. Have you got sweet yourself?

Yeah I have / have had a fair bit of Sweet gear. Supernaught Jacket / Pants, Crusader Flightsuit, Renegade Jacket / Pants, Thermals, Beanies, you name it haha!

I've been using the Renegade set up since January and love it, its not a shell though. If you are looking for a technical shell I'd highly recommend the Supernaught / Crusader, both bombproof.
ski holidays
Fraser13j wrote:
Scarpa, Is this a Hard Shell or Soft Shell?

Soft Shell is more comfortable I have heard.

ME Changabang is a hard shell... lightweight, good waterproof zips, massive pit zips and concealed hood in collar that will fit over a helmet. It has panels of the slightly stretchy goretex under the arms and a zip out snow skirt. Also lift pass pocket on left upper arm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy