Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape MK WTF

Poster: A snowHead
Just spent a couple of hours at MK (sorry rob@rar, my membership has run out and my scgb card gets 20% off at MK)
Got back to the car put my snowboard in the boot and noticed 3 big deep gauges in the base, the biggest is about 1mm in width a little deeper and runs the full length of my board, WTF is in that grey snow on your hill. At Easter we spent 3 days on Cairngorm and even with some stones and rocks poking out on the lower slopes I didn't get that much damage, I know your all going to say I should have tried harder on Cairngorm, but in a fridge 3 massive gauges, come on Sad

Hemel, Much better, any day, should have done what I wanted to do and not listened to my wife, trying to save £6.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ricfrench wrote:
(sorry rob@rar, my membership has run out and my scgb card gets 20% off at MK)

Laughing Now you know! Moral of the tale? Never listen to wives...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, When I went to the ski and snowboard show the other day, I went armed with the stuff and money to buy a new membership, but they had no way of doing it there????. So what's a guy to do, but go and buy some new snowboard boots instead.
Should have known better
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The coverage is awful with wood with screws showing through, probably happened going up the lift. I guess unless you photograph your gear before skiing there getting them to cough up any compensation will be hard, even then they would probably say your gear is used at your own risk blah blah.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc,that is the exact reason I'm now bitching about it on a forum Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ricfrench, they have boards under the uplift line so as it wears away skis and boards dont damage the glycol pipes... the screws holding the boards in place come loose and trash your equipment instead, i have had this more than once there. sucks really
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crikey!! I'm planning on taking my two snow weeks old planks to HH, I hope nothing that bad happens to them there otherwise my ski-tech will shoot me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Hemel is fine, don't worry!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum,you will be fine at Hemel, it's all still very new, the lift lines are well covered, it's just better.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i think they also use snowflex to cover the pipes at hemel, whereas they use dendex at the xscapes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, ricfrench, Very Happy Phew! I have to look after the new planks as they were a pressie from my ski tech you see, he is even tarting them up with special wax for 'inside use' to try and stop me from wrecking them on the artificial snow Toofy Grin .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Noticed it on sunday there was a lack of snow on the left lift, mk is has gone downhill recently!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I went a few weeks ago, I really wasn't impressed with MK. Like swifty said, there was a lack of snow on the left (facing down) slope. And then the last third of the left slope was closed off for whatever reason which meant everyone going down this slope had to cut through and join the right hand slope which created a bottleneck at the bottom. The right hand slope had definately not been pisted from the previous night and was really cut up with mounds of snow all over the place. The main lift kept stopping (due to so many kids falling off). Then when I tried to use the other lift I was told I couldn't because it was only for people on ski/board classes even though there was hardly anyone there using it. For all the above reasons we carried on for another 30 minutes after our allotted time. I'll certainly give Hemel a try next time. Personally I think the Glasgow Sno ZOne is much better than MK. Shame it's so far away.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog, we had about 10 minutes of standing around, because the mongs at the top on that "piste patrol" or what ever they call themselves, wernt capable of pressing the button to get the lift started again!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
went to hemel last firday and was fairly impressed, although the length of the slope was nothing to shout about but seems average for the UK? ive only skiied in continental skidomes in the past

it was very good, highly recommended, a little boring for anything more than 2 hours.

they also had a freestyle night on which looked very good! although they built the features throughout the day which meant not all of the slope was open so a few bobsleigh tracks opened up =/

all in all a good afternoon!
snow conditions
TBH I have and always would use Hemel, I live 25 miles from both so it makes no difference milage wise. What does make the difference is the snow quality, MK has always been a bit ropey that was the reason that I started using Hemel as soon as it opened. I woke up yesterday and thought, I'll go to the fridge for a couple of hours today, I have a snowboard club UK membership still so I get 20% off at MK, I'll go there today as I can't quite afford to renew my membership at Hemel. First thing next Friday I'm on the phone to Hemel with my debit card for a new membership. I think MK might have seen the last of me now, it's really not good Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Im going to wait on on a response to an email i sent them........
ski holidays
I have to agree with jimmybog. We went mid-week in early Oct, and after a great morning in the Airkix wind-tunnel, had a really disappointing time in the MK Sno-dome.

Half of the right hand slope (looking up) was dug up near the middle, as they tried to find a leak, half of the left hand slope was fenced off while they installed jumps and rails, causing everyone to bottleneck halfway down. And then to make matters worse they closed off the bottom third of the right hand side for a group sledging session.

Also only one lift was open, and the mat at the top was close to becoming a trip hazard... I had to point it out to the lifty, and he said it was supposed to be like that?

Awful... and I usually make an effort to go for a couple of pre-season refreshers....

Never again! Sad
ski holidays
I haven't been to MK since HH opened. I'd been thinking of giving them another go but this thread has squashed that.
snow report
snowball,don't do it, just don't
snow report
Last time i went to MK i was rewarded with 2 honking great gouges down to the base layer thanks to some plywood shards sticking up out of the drag path where it'd been scoured out. Said 'Ne'er again' after that and now HH is open, ne'er will.
snow report
Can a 1mm deep scratch be deemed to qualify as one of the "big deep gauges" (sp)?

<runs>
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,it most certainly would if it had been gauged into the bottom of your equipment Confused

On a mountain you expect a bit of base damage, all part of the experience.
In a fridge, a controlled environment, no stones or rocks you kinda don't expect it.
latest report
ricfrench, just taking the p!ss a little.

I used to be precious about my kit, but unless you race a couple of gouges aren't going to effect performance. I wouldn't bother trying to repair it if I were you.

But, in fairness, I would have been a bit narked too.
latest report
Mosha Marc, I'm not going to, it's really not that bad. Just having a bitchin' session about it.
The other point I've just thought about was, if it was the lift line that damaged the base what happens to somebodies arm/leg/butt when they decide to have a sit down on the lift, as the only one working was the training lift on the right. Not so good, with a bit of luck the only thing that will get damaged is somebodies nice new TNF £600 jacket
ski holidays
ricfrench, don't forget you get 55% off Hemel Membership as a super/mega snowHead
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:

I used to be precious about my kit, but unless you race a couple of gouges aren't going to effect performance. I wouldn't bother trying to repair it if I were you.

A scratch that size perhaps not, but as an off-piste skier I often get damage that goes right down to the base layer under the p-tex. Consequently I've had to learn how to fill holes, though for big ones and a once per season service I do go to the professionals. I do it reluctantly, though, because they tend to grind the base too much and the p-tex (and the edge) get thinner and thinner till you have to scrap the ski.
It is even more dangerous if it is right by the edge. You only need another rock to catch it and you'd have your edge off. However it is technically more difficult to fill a hole which touches the metal edge.
ski holidays
Ihave to admit as much as I like Hemel, the slope isn't as big, the recreational session cost is higher and apart from the snow slope itself, there is nothing there - at least there are cafes, restaurants and shops at MK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, at least HH has a good ski shop and a bar upstairs serving food which has a good view of the slopes. Trouble is the latter stops serving proper food at 8pm which is a shame.

HH is only fractionally smaller (20m shorter) and perhaps a little bit less steep, but it also doesn't have those columns down the middle or so many slope closures.
snow report
Quote:

a couple of gouges aren't going to effect performance

Couldn't agree more. But they may affect performance wink
ski holidays
Bergmeister, muttermuttermutterpillockmuttermutter wink
snow report
snowball, agree. I do much the same myself. However, those big holes are pretty easy to DIY too. Just get a bit of metal grip in there first.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy