Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

canazei (sella ronda) information

Poster: A snowHead
I am organising a group of 22 which is full of good intermediates but also has 5 timid prefer blue run sorts. I have read that canazei is great for beginners but the piste map shows a distinct lack of blue runs. Anybody ski`d it before can give me bit more detail on how red the reds are and if I would be better off looking at alta badia as a base or selva. I have a good option on canazei but dont want to spoil some of the groups enjoyment. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think I would chose Canazei for timid types - also you have to take the cable car/gondola up from the town. There are no runs from/to the town accept a red that is not for timid types that gets you back down about 10 minutes walk from the cable car.

Selva would be a better option IMHO.

Where are you thinking of in the Alta Badia? Corvara would be my choice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
atlowers, I would disagree mildly with CP, and think Canazei is a good choice. Agreed you have to gondola down (as well as up obviously) but the gondola has a huge capacity and lifts amazing numbers of people very swiftly. There is a lovely range of slopes in the sun on Belvedere with a choice of gradients. It is also only a short hop from Arabba where the steper parts of the Sella Ronda are. For variety, your "timids" ca take the short bus ride to Alba where there is another delightful sunny bowl of blues. You good inters can race the cable car down the black. Canazei is also a nice town.

Having said that, Corvara presses all the right buttons too, and has masses of blue heaven.

Dolomiti is a marvellous ski area for cruisers.

snowHead

And a warm welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you cp and Chris and for the welcome. Corvara was the option for alta badia but am I wrong in thinking that it is largely dominated by German tourists where as canazei has a more multi national feel which we would welcome and I mean no dis respect in that observation. Previous trips to the dolomites include Folgarida and Madonna and at both we enjoyed the fact that Italiens apart there was an eclectic mix of small numbers from many nations which led to great atmosphere in huts and in the bars.
My issue is, can I get them up the mountain from Canazei and using the circuit get them too places like corvara on fairly easy reds as often some Italien reds feel a lot more Blue? If not it seems sensible to consider. But "There is a lovely range of slopes in the sun on Belvedere with a choice of gradients." sounds fine and all the reviews indicate canazei to be our sort of resort.
Thanks again
Andy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
atlowers, Canazei isn't a bad choice for timids , the reds on Belvedere are really tame, just maybe the first pitch at the top justifies the rating but it's superwide. It's also a little steep dropping down onto the gondola station at Pecol, can be avoided by taking a new gondola from the middle of the Belvedere area down. And what a view!

The run off the back down to Arabba is a really nice cruise too.

Check out my Canazei trip report from 2009:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915

Corvara would possibly be an even better choice in the area with oodles of empty blues to cruise in the Pralongia sector, if you can find something suitable there, it might be a better bet, the more adventurous can still access the whole of the Sella Ronda areas from there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
atlowers wrote:
an eclectic mix of small numbers from many nations which led to great atmosphere in huts and in the bars.

My issue is, can I get them up the mountain from Canazei and using the circuit get them too places like corvara on fairly easy reds as often some Italien reds feel a lot more Blue?

I was in Canazei just after New Year.

There were lots of Italians just finishing their Capodanno holidays, apres for them means dressing up in D&G and jiggling and posing in the Husky piano bar from midnight until the small hours.

There were lots of Russians in for the Orthodox New Year (Jan 6th) with drinking games involving logs, hammer, nails and shots of spirits in the Lieber Augustin.

The Danes were giving the Russians a run for their money in the Rosengarten/Giardino delle Rose pub, straight from the slopes right until late.

Brits could pay their money and take their choice.

On the mountain, you get all nationalities as you get the Sella Ronda traffic passing through from all the different linked resorts.

You are right that the Germans tend to stay in Val Gardena and Alta Badia, but there's a smattering of different nationalities too, you won't feel out of place I'm sure.

I took some second weekers all over the area six years ago, none of the Italian 'reds' troubled them!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah Luigi, just the stuff I wanted to confirm. Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Top picture aswell, I am gonna have a look at your review now before getting the hammer nails and logs together for the first group training session. By the way we are spring skiers (1st week march) Has the red down to town been open in recent seasons at that time do you know?

Ciao
Andy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
atlowers wrote:
Has the red down to town been open in recent seasons at that time do you know?

It was open Jan 2009 (good snow year), I have been to the area in early March but stayed in Selva so never tested it. I have the feeling it was closed in 2004 when it was a poor snow year though.

Bear in mind that the piste ends up near the church, about 800m from the gondola. Best idea would be to stay near the gondola and download at the end of the day, easier to walk into the centre in the evening in comfy shoes rather than skiboots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looked at your pics Luigi, Wow, I thought Madonna and Folgarida was picturesque but It looks truly awesome, nice work!! Always nice to get a feel for value to so nice to see the beer and food prices in the review. Another reason we love Italy.

Yes will bear in mind the tip, I am looking at Hotels close to the Gondola. We have been blessed with similar weather and caught the right weeks for last few years so keep thinking we have to be unlucky soon, but this was one of reasons for this choice as they alledgedly have finest snowmaking in europe.

Have a great season and thanks again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
atlowers, we went to Canazei last Easter, the last week of the season, we had fantastic snow, loved the village although it was very quiet being the last week, I imagine its fairly lively most of the time with a good selection of bars and restaurants, hotels etc. We stayed in a Crystal chalet, couldnt fault it at all, for beginners there is a great area at the Belvedere area with enough to keep them happy until they can move on, for us it was the best place we have ever skied, we had 6 weeks experience and easily managed the Sella Ronda circuit, both ways. Never got bored we skied a different route everyday, went to the hghest point on the 3 most scariest gondolas I have ever been on!! ( I hate them am a wimp) and skied the most difficult runs we had experienced, a truly fantastic week, mostly Italians on the very uncrowded pistes, hardly any Brits!! the food in the mountain huts was plentiful, cheap and very good. we will definatley return, in fact to any of the villages on the Sella ronda circuit, but Canazei really is a good choice go for it! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
atlowers, another area for timid ones is accessed from the cablecar in Campitello, the next village along from Canazei, the free ski-bus runs there in about 5 mins. The cablecar can get busy at peak times (holidays and weekends) but the area at the top around Col Rodella, Passo Sella and dropping down twd Plan de Gralba/Selva and up around Piz Seteur has some nice blues and easy reds, snow keeps good here too as it's more shaded than Belvedere. You can ski between Col Rodella and Belvedere but the red that drops down to Pian Frataces/Lupo Bianco has some steep drops.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
atlowers, I agree you should be fine in Canazei. Last year I went with my partner, a novice (2nd trip). The Belvedere gondola up/down was not a problem, and there were enough wide, gentle slopes immediately above the town to build confidence before heading out to the Sella Ronda. And as the photo above attests, the views from there also served as a wonderful enticement! We were there 1st week of March and I could not believe how few people there were on the pistes.

IMO Corvara is a prettier area and less crowded, but we found accommodation options there more limited and more expensive. We were happy in Canazei and would not hesitate to stay there again if a good deal was available. Having enjoyed the Italian experience so much, this year we're going to try Madonnna di Campiglio...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
atlowers, thanks for asking this question and everybody else, thanks for the replies.
luigi, I hadn't spotted your trip report before, good read, great pictures.
My wife and I are going to Canazei in the New Year to celebrate her "significant" birthday - and this thread has whetted my appetite even more Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
[b
luigi, I hadn't spotted your trip report before, good read, great pictures.

Glad my work was not in vain, thanks!

Have a good trip!

Everyone that goes to the Dolomites seems to love it. The scenery, sunshine, ambience, food, fun, reasonable prices and extensive skiing make for an enjoyable ski experience! I haven't found better elsewhere.

The only time I wouldn't recommend it is for someone who insists on long verticals everywhere or reliable off-piste I would send them somewhere like the Arlberg. There are quite a few long verticals in the Dolomites but they are scattered about and if the conditions are right there is some awesome, challenging off-piste too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The red to town was open first week of April this year.
latest report
Well, some greatly helpful and appreciated replies. Many thanks to you all. Canazei in march for us then.

Idlehands, I am sure you will love Madonna, so many options and make sure you ski over to Folgarida for a day. The red link run can get a bit lumpy toward the last lift so not for timids but well worth the effort. hope you enjoy as much as we did last year, apres was pretty quiet but skiing was superb.

Lets hope we all get great snow again this year. Great find for me, this forum.

Happy days!
latest report
The run down to the town is quite pleasant, even if it does leave you with a bit of a walk. It drops you into narrow streets and little shops and things. If you are used to the sking machines of the French mega resorts (don't get me wrong - l love them!) then Canazei has a refreshing folksy charm.

Going towards Arabba will not challenge anyone too much and there are some nice places to eat along the way. Going the other way might be more of a problem. If I remember rightly you have to go down a narrowish sort of gulley (I think this is the bit known to reps as "wacky races") which is not all that steep but can be crowded with out of control groups which take some dodging. There is also a steep last bit which you have to tank in order to get up to the lift on the other side.

March seems a long way off, but that is where I will be then...

snowHead
latest report
Also worth taking the skibus up the valley from Canazei to pick up the cablecar at Alba to do the runs over Ciampac/Buffaure down to Pozza Di Fassa if you want (though the end of that is a very long flat and not sure it would be open late in season). Nice for half a day and also tends to be quiet.
latest report
SteveM, Ahhhh lightbulb moment.... I remember Canazei.... nice gondola and conveniently located bus wink Laughing
snow conditions
It seems that I have managed to concoct the only negative posting on this topic Sad

To balance that out I did actully like Canazei as a base town, although I would stay in Arabba as a preference as I am old and don't need too much Apres. We had a very timid 2nd timer with us, obviously much more timid than the 'norm' - and she did actually give up skiing after the 3rd day.

Highlight of the evening events for us was eating at El Pael - which was very authentic, great food and very good service.

atlowers, You will have a great time in the Dolomites - has anybody pointed you at the Hidden Valley ( Lagazuoi ) yet?

snowHead
ski holidays
CP, theres timid and theres timid, we had some timids with us (me being one of them despite 7 weeks exp)!! but they all managed it, apart from 1 or 2 slopes on the sella ronda circuit, where lifts were taken instead, we even went to the highest point and skied all the way back, despite it being the scariest ascent and descent for me ever, I thoroughly enjoyed and really 'found my ski legs' as it were! Perhaps we should put people off as its still a bit of a hiden gem to the Brits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
feefee wrote:
Perhaps we should put people off as its still a bit of a hiden gem to the Brits Toofy Grin

We don't mind a few select snowHeads getting to know about it though, do we, eh? snowHead
snow conditions
atlowers wrote:
a distinct lack of blue runs..................how red the reds are

Just a thought, but the Italian grading system differs from the French in that there's no green. The upshot of this is that the blues and reds tend to be easier than what you might expect if you're used to the French system. I suspect that a lot of Italian reds would be blue in France and even some of the blacks aren't that extreme, the men's WC downhill in Val Gardena for example.
ski holidays
Can't wait til Jan 5! Just been out with a mate who's been to Selva and Arabba a couple of times, who was waxing lyrical.
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
SteveM, Ahhhh lightbulb moment.... I remember Canazei.... nice gondola and conveniently located bus wink Laughing

Yes, Schuss, iirc you liked the nice gondola so much that straight after riding up in it, you took it back down Toofy Grin
And do you recall the angry private taxi man when he thought we'd duped him into taking rather more people than he had bargained for, after the Canadians barged in? He probably remembers you! wink
latest report
luigi, I am baffled every ski holiday as to how they grade the pistes! I have done reds without thinking, blues that have scared the pants off me and only one black which was fine! Thats in Austria, France and Italy, I reckon they just stick the red or blue markers in dependant on how many they have at the time! Laughing
snow conditions
feefee, Sooooo much depends on snow conditions. And how you are feeling at the time. I can follow someone good down most things, but it all looks a lot steeper if you are out on your own!

I am glad to say there is no consistent system (How's that for unfortunate assonance?) and you have to suck it and see!

All in all, the Sella Ronda will be within the capabilities of most people out of ski-school, I would say.

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:

All in all, the Sella Ronda will be within the capabilities of most people out of ski-school, I would say.

snowHead

Apart from a couple of reds, my friend took the lift rather than ski as they were a bit tricky, but she could have done them with a bit more confidence (or a bigger swig from the hip flask) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some steeps near Arabba, including one that is on the Sella Ronda if you are going orange way round, I think, and the Sasslong keeps on coming. The black at Colfosco aroused so much contempt in our teenage (at the time) son he skied it backwards all the way - passing me in the process I might add!

No, the Dolomites are not for those seeking the steeps, though I found the Marmolada run a challenge simply because it is so long.
ski holidays
Chris Bish, The Colfosco black run must be the widest black run in the world, it just about qualifies as a black run if you keep to the left hand side but turns red quite quickly if you move to the right. Did you try the La Villa black run, it is steep enough in places to keep one interested.
snow report
Think I may have been fortunate enough to miss that one! Every chance Linds, will drag me towards it, if not down it in March.

Remembering that the OP has a group of 22, I think he will do fine. There are so many options and even places to amuse non-skiers. With the local buses, we are hoping to enable a very mixed group to keep in touch and keep everyone happy. I think Dolomiti takes some beating in this respect.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
There are some steeps near Arabba, including one that is on the Sella Ronda if you are going orange way round, I think,

While that one is probably the steepest run on the Sella Ronda, it is still only a red, and the main difficulty is caused by the number of other skiers sliding around all over the place. I'm presuming that is the slope you refer to earlier as being known to the reps as "wacky races".

Incidentally, you can avoid most of the mayhem by going to the track on skiers right, then just crossing the main piste at the bottom of that.
latest report
feefee wrote:
luigi, I am baffled every ski holiday as to how they grade the pistes! I have done reds without thinking, blues that have scared the pants off me and only one black which was fine! Thats in Austria, France and Italy, I reckon they just stick the red or blue markers in dependant on how many they have at the time! Laughing

Every resort needs (or think they need) runs of each grade.

So the easiest few are marked blue (green in France/Spain/Scotland), while the hardest few are marked black. Everything in between is then red (or split between red & blue in countries with greens).

And resorts know that most skiers regard themselves as "intermediates", so they will try to have more red runs than anything else unless they are specifically trying to target the beginner or the expert market.

Trying to compare between resorts even in the same country is tricky, never mind between countries.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
I think Dolomiti takes some beating in this respect.

For a good mix of varied skiing,I think you're about right. Had our first taste of the area last April,and throughly enjoyed it.The Sella Ronda is a must do.Its a great day out taking in loads of varied slopes and areas.Highlights for me...watching the kids hurl themselves off a variety of things in the park at Gardena....and the Black at La Ville.You would love it Mr Bish...No1 son did most of it riding switch,several times over Toofy Grin Me,I prefer the conventional method,its a great run.Opposite side was deserted and we had great fun carving it up at mach speed.All in all a great area,would recommended it to anyone Very Happy
latest report
Once you have finished scrutinising your portfolios, you may want to check out the FT's weekend (Nov 6 edition) mag - a sumptous article on the Dolomites. A pretty good article and not wholly focused on chi-chi hotels, despite writer being 'the guest of Alpin Garden Wellness Resort...Rosa Alpina' - tough job but someone's...... Going green
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy