Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport car hire.....which side?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking at flying to Geneva then hiring a car to Les Arcs, but when I look at hire car web sites they ask which side I want, french or swiss side of Geneva airport. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mally
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swiss side. More expensive but more convenient. Also the swiss motorway vignette is included. I think winter tyres are also? but check with the rental company.

You are straight out onto the motorway from the Swiss side. Your flight (if coming from the UK) will also come into the Swiss side.

Cheers.

Andrew
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree with Chamexpress, but actually it isn't always (much) more expensive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mally,

Chamexpress, covers it in a nutshell but the winter tyre question may open a whole can of worms........
I think the best thing to suggest is a quick forum search. The question has been raised in the past and you will probably find all the answers you are looking for (including answers to questions you most likely hadn't even thought of yet!!)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Helmets - check
Off piste insurance - check
Boots in hand luggage - check
GVA car hire, which side?

BINGO!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 3-11-10 14:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the freezing level wasn't above 3000m we could tell ourselves the start of the season is just round the corner.

To be fair, it's a perfectly reasonable question.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
I'd agree with Chamexpress, but actually it isn't always (much) more expensive.

I think that used to be true but there's been an element of "parity pricing" in the last couple of seasons... needless to say the French side now charging much the same as the Swiss side not the other way round.

Other than the Vignette and winter tyres/chains also consider the €100 surcharge if for whatever reason you need/want/decide to return a French car to the Swiss side.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't a €25 (£17.50 with the 30% snowHeads discount) cheaper than hiring a car?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:

(errrrrrrrm not sure Andrew confirmed the 30% btw)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus, ooh, I'm sure he did/will Toofy Grin wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, marcellus, is that so? or going to be so?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pamski, who knows, but I think maybe it's a wind up Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

+1
Puzzled
snow report
Pamski, pam w and rob@rar,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68460&highlight=
ski holidays
marcellus, thanks, all becomes clear!
ski holidays
Did I miss the bit where you could get from Geneva to Les Arcs for £17.50?
snow conditions
pam w, Marcellus merely suggested that ChamMorzTigne Val Express should offer snoHeads readers a 30% discount, I simply did the maths Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mally, swiss side, far less hassle. When are you coing to Les Arcs, if you do not need the car you can do a one way hire each day, out and in with europa car hire and save a bit of money. If you have any other questions about Les Arcs, there is a season thread running in the snow reports section. You can ask what you like over there. Someone is sure to have the answer.
latest report
Always hired from Swiss side. Never worried about winter tyres. Never had a problem.
ski holidays
Just to be contrary.....

It depends on the price difference. If it's small then I'd go along with the crowd and go Swiss. However if there is a significant saving to be had there is no real hassle involved in going to the French side.

In the end it all comes down to economics - as with so much in life.
snow conditions
Always us the French side and its easy enough and has been cheaper. Never checked the tires though !

Careful to go back to the correct side though on return !
snow report
Despite all the scare mongering the French side is extremely easy. And I would say significantly cheaper, even with the vignette. I managed to get by without actually sticking the vignette to the screen and have used it 3 times, and will again this Xmas.
Plus it is always easier to get 4WD on the French side.

Finally since they changed the Swiss side to the ridiculous bus ride, which is complete p i t a at busy times, I would say the French side is easier than the Swiss.

Getting back is a scoosh as long as you remember the golden rule. IGNORE ALL SIGNS THAT SAY AIRPORT.
snow report
It may come down to economics but Swiss side hire is cheaper than new flights, or divorce, either of which are made much more likely on the French side. The route-finding's bad enough - once you factor in the possibility of traffic delays due to the route going through the town centre it's a massive pain. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times and only once without problems.
ski holidays
Quote:

factor in the possibility of traffic delays due to the route going through the town centre it's a massive pain.

there was one time when we came close to divorce.... but we now have it sussed. No need to go near the town centre. Buy a Swiss vignette and stick to the motorway - longer, but easier.
snow conditions
firebug wrote:
It may come down to economics but Swiss side hire is cheaper than new flights, or divorce, either of which are made much more likely on the French side. The route-finding's bad enough - once you factor in the possibility of traffic delays due to the route going through the town centre it's a massive pain. I've done it maybe 4 or 5 times and only once without problems.

In fairness I'm normally going into Switzerland but from that direction I would honestly say it's fairly straightforward.

Absolutely no town centre driving, in fact I can't remember any city centre from the French side either.
snow report
I have just come back from 10 days skiing in Geneva, I made a bit of a mistake and booked the car at the French side and arrived and the Swiss side, but I managed to get it all sorted in a couple of hours, I booked the car using this site http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire/Switzerland-Car-Hire/Geneva-International-Airport-Car-Hire.aspx. Other than that which was my mistake it all went pretty well.

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

in fact I can't remember any city centre from the French side either

the "city centre" bit arises if you hire on the French side and don't want to cough up for a Swiss motorway vignette.
ski holidays
I was looking to hire car also have looked at Rhinocarhire and http://www.fastcarhire.co.uk/ what was the name of the car rental company with rhino as they not show on web site. www.Novacarhire.com also seem reasonable
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy