Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria early season - your recommndations

Poster: A snowHead
Want to go somewhere different, have skied in France and Switzerland and fancy Austria, looking to go before Christmas week of 12 December any recommendations
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zauchensee, it is 1300m plus and generally has great snow. It is a bit purpose made and not the liveliest on an evening.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, thanks any accomodation sugestions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
driving or flying? Solden\Oetztal will have snow, plus theres other resorts along the valley if you have car. Zillertal for Hintertux. Kitzbuhles had good early season snow recently..but obviously thats no garentee!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Anton or Ischgl.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar, second Sölden - loads to do and 2 glaciers with plenty of skiing if the start of the season is too mild. I was there at that time last year and we had plenty of snow.

Otherwise Hintertux offers good skiing and lively apres but you are limited on accommodation at the Tuxer end. Better choice is to be down the valley and travel up each day to the glacier area each day if you need to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
radar, wait to decide then book w/c 4th December...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice, looking to fly and stay in a hotel or a catered chalet, not too fused about the Apres so long as there is somewhere to get a beer that isn't a dump, will have a look at Solden and St Anton
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said, Solden is virtually certain (because of the glacier), and is where the first European ski race of the season is held.

For the last few years the first lower level resort open seems to have usually been Schladming. And there is also a glacier option on the Schladming pass if there isn't sufficient snow in resort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wot kitenski, says.If you are unlucky and it is very mild being somewhere high or glacial is a real advantage. If it is brass monkey time high glacial areas are bloody inhospitable on short december days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obertauern will be lively before Xms. Short transfer from Salzurg too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, thanks any accomodation sugestions?

http://www.zauchensee.com/ covers most bases, if not try http://www.bergfex.com/zauchensee/ It all looked top end to me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As others have said glaciers (e.g. Sölden & Hintertux). I'd add Kaprun (with its brand new massive Thermal bath complex which opens in the next fee days http://austria-spa-world.blogspot.com/ ) and the Möltaler glacier is also worth considering.

Obertauern is another good call as it's high up (1740 - 2526m). I see booking Zauchensee (1.000 - 2.188m) now for 18/12 as too risky at the moment.

Snow doesn't fall on whole countries it falls on areas and which resorts see the best of the early snow is always unknown. If it were me - accomodation shouldn't be a problem so I'd book flights now and chase the snow.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 4-11-10 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, have you seen the Dachstein glacier? Toofy Grin For Langlauf training it is fantastic, but for alpine skiing - hmmmmm how shall we put it ....................???? It's a drag - quite literally and definitely not worth the run unless you are really really desperate to put skis on. However when the snow is good the glacier run down to Hallstattersee is amazing!

Mölltal is looking good but the transfer from any of the more commonly used airports can be a bit of a mammoth trek (Salzburg and Munich). If flights are available to Graz or Klagenfurt it might be worth a look. I seem to remember someone asking about the area with regard to flights into Klagenfurt with one of the cheapies.

DB, Zauchensee was open last weekend on a limited basis, and more snow is forecast from the middle of next week according to the long-range forecast (www.wetter.com). It's a funny old area that seems to attract snow when other areas are experiencing a drought Puzzled

Currently we seem to be stuck in a steady flow of Föhn with higher than normal temperatures eating the snow at lower levels (Chinook is the Indian name for the Föhn in Alberta, it means "Snow-Eater" apparently). Not much sign of frost yet on our horizon until the end of next week. Still time for me to find a decent frost cover for the windscreen though before it is needed wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue,

Sometimes Kärnten sees the (only) early snow and if a cheap flight to Klagenfurt / Graz can be found at short notice then Moltal or maybe even Nassfeld could be a goer. Friends have skied powder pre Christmas at Nassfeld and the bugs rang me up to say how good it was. Evil or Very Mad

Pre Jan the large temp swings are too risky for me to book anything under 1700m. Last week I had morning frost on the car, today it's like a warm & sunny spring day here in Vienna.
snow report
90% of the slopes in Ischgl are above 2000m. Have a look at the webcams there at the moment.

Solden is a great option.

Obergurgl is high and snowsure and just along the road from Solden.

You can probably make a choice quite late though, since it'll be very early season.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, DB, don't worry, I've booked the pow for Stubia from 17th Nov Twisted Evil
snow report
clarky999, keep on praying Matt - we've got shirt-sleeve weather here at the moment and they are talking of it going up before it comes down again Toofy Grin
snow report
Unless you go to a glacier such as Hintertux ,Stubai, Pitztal, Kaunertal, Solden etc. it is an act of blind faith to book a pre Xmas ski holiday in Austria. I have done it anyway as I miss Lech so much (and it was cheap). I have been lucky in the past. I just looked at the webcams & I am worried. At worst I can can go walking in the mountains and practice my drinking, it's got to be better than being in Halifax Madeye-Smiley
I better not overdo my snowdance as the Flexen Pass might get blocked Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
radar, I asked the same thing last year, for the week starting 5th December. We ended up booking St Anton (for a bargain price). It was a very warm November, and opening got postponed to only 2 days before we went. St Anton and the rest of the Arlberg was only partly open the whole time we were there, but we had loads of fresh snow and had a good time. We took one day to revisit Ischgl, and while the actual volume of snow there did not seem much different almost every run was open, and in perfect condition. Ischgl did seem to be putting more effort into piste preparation which really paid off in terms of the amount of skiing available.
snow report
St Anton normally doesn't fully open until the week before Christmas. Rendl and the higher lifts would I imagine still be closed in the week of 12th December. I'd go to Ischgl for that week or as others have said book a flight to Innsbruck or Salzburg and choose nearer the time.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, I presume the handle is because you have been there or are there?
ski holidays
Thanks guys will hold off booking till two weeks before St Anton and Solden look the favourites, any TO recommendations, was looking at Mark Warner, there are three of us a double and a single.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy