Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Fabled Intermediate Plateau and Modern Edging Skills (Now with Video For Analysis)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Fellow Snowheads,

I am now in a high state of frustration with the lack of progress in my skiing technique. When I first learned to ski in 2004 at the age of 38 the sport massively captured my imagination. So much so that I have now done 50 weeks+ since then. I realise now that perhaps I should have pursued more pointed instruction than I have done. I have received good hints and tips from across the spectrum of the skiing community. Indeed, I am a serial lurker on this website and am a student of all that is written.

My problem is that originally when taught, I managed to inbuild a number of bad habits that are now proving difficult to overcome. I am likened to the original BASI statue and have had a tendency to resort to type and A frame whilst carving. I ski powder fairly well and had a memorable day with FLANGESAX last season in Zauchensee. My frustration is in trying to achieve high edge angles whilst carving. I have adressed the A Framing primarily utilising a sensible degree of rotation through the hips in the latter part of the turn whilst maintaining an extended "downhill" leg. Flexion and extension appears to be occurring in the right place as well. Despite carrying out some good stuff I still feel that I am using the "uphill" ski too much for balance and that appears to be a limiting factor in achieving the edge angles that I crave!! I will upload some videos shortly for your critique.

In the interim, I would be grateful for any and all advice proffered!

JC

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 6-11-10 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One mental image might be to think about shortening your inside (which I assume you call uphill?) leg. As I progressively shorten my inside leg I achieve higher edge angles, but you do need to be skiing fairly quickly in order to balance all the forces if you are trying to create big angles. Here's a still from a bit of helmetcam video taken a few weeks ago showing a long outside leg and a short inside leg.

To increase your edge angles you could try touch the snow with your inside hand (use both hands if you can build up to it, but be careful not to twist your upper body to achieve that). It's important to increase the edge angle progressively through the turn - don't just immediately bang across to your maximum inclination/angulation as soon as you start turning. Much better to feel the forces building up in the turn and balance against them rather than adopting a contrived position.

When you say you are rotating your hips, in which direction are you rotating and in what way did it affect your A-frame?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clem156, habitual A-framing can be a result of at least a couple things. Start with alignment. Have you been to a good boot fitter, and had your boots set up professionally? A framing can be something difficult to ever overcome for people with alignment issues.

Assuming proper alignment, A-framing generally occurs because people are uncomfortable moving their Center of Mass laterally, away from the perceived security of residing above their skis. That discomfort can come from a lack of knowledge and ability of how to remain in balance once the pelvis is moved far into the turn, and/or a lack of the necessary balance skills to perform on the inside ski if a loss of lateral balance were to occur. Knowing one does not have the lateral balance skills to cope with a balance loss restricts their willingness to leave their current comfort zone, so they angulate with the knee, leaving their pelvis right over their feet.

Prescription:
1) Make sure you're properly aligned.
2) Work on your lateral balance skills, to enhance your confidence to displace your pelvis and explore new body positions.
3) Work on your angulation skills. There are good drill progressions that will allow you to do that.
4) Expand your transitions repertoire, and learn about long leg short leg, and tipping your new inside leg into the turn as your hips cross your skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I still feel that I am using the "uphill" ski too much for balance and that appears to be a limiting factor in achieving the edge angles that I crave!!
JC[/quote]

Sounds like you could have hit the nail on the head yourself, developing lateral balance will help for sure.

Video Please! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find the best way of getting to the position, which in essence is a strong base position, is by you standing with your skis across the slope and give your downhill hand to someone who is standing downhill ( down the fall line) of you. Get them to try and pull you over ( downhill, and only by pulling your arm) ,and get them to pull progressivley harder until you are at the point of "tug of warring"
You will automatically widen your stance and as the pulling gets harder you will shorten your uphill leg underneath you and fully extend your downhill leg whilst gripping with the edge.
This is obviously the strongest position and the position you will adopt as the forces of gravity try to pull you directly down the fall line ( as your friend did) as you carve across it.
Happy skiing and keep smiling
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
limegreen1 wrote:
I find the best way of getting to the position, which in essence is a strong base position, is by you standing with your skis across the slope and give your downhill hand to someone who is standing downhill ( down the fall line) of you. Get them to try and pull you over ( downhill, and only by pulling your arm) ,and get them to pull progressivley harder until you are at the point of "tug of warring"
You will automatically widen your stance and as the pulling gets harder you will shorten your uphill leg underneath you and fully extend your downhill leg whilst gripping with the edge.
This is obviously the strongest position and the position you will adopt as the forces of gravity try to pull you directly down the fall line ( as your friend did) as you carve across it.
Happy skiing and keep smiling

Hi

Yeah that's a classic, you could also try this whilst in a traverse. Choose a nice flat mellow slope first and have a go, try not to pull too hard to begin with! I find this can work quite well, obviously it depends on the skier. You can end up with yourself and a partner in knots with this one, so pick your partner carefully! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That one particularly sticks in my mind, from lessons years ago, when thinking about being in the correct angulation position.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skier chris.... I will contact you through your website for a chat re chamonix..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fellow Snowheads,

Apologies for my tardiness in replying to your submissions but I have been away for a few days with work!!

rob@rar, I am opening up my body to the hill so I suppose this is counter-rotation. This, to a degree, has prevented me pushing my outside hip through the turn and thereby collapsing my downhill leg in an assymetric fashion.

FastMan, First of all, let me state that I am a fan of your simplistic approach to describing most of the complex technical elements of skiing and if I could afford it I would buy your videos! That said I did buy a Phil Smith some time ago that espoused the long leg /short leg drill as an introduction to carving for improving beginners/ early intermediates. I am now thinking I need some pointed drills and good instruction.

limegreen1, skierchris, Thank you and I will spend some time practising these drills!! How do I improve my lateral balance?

I am off to Stubia for my BASI L1 & L2 courses beginning Saturday. All in all I will be on skis for 5 weeks so if I can't sort it during this extended period on snow I never will. I attach a video or two for our Snowhead community to carry out some movement analysis on and I look forward to your comments both good and bad!! Unfortunately on the first video only one turn to the right as the Alpincentre was rammed!! Second video a little off-piste in Stubai in May 10. Apologies for URL's and no hyperlinks as I am a wee bit of an IT biff!! Embarassed rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/yrsKH2M5wqo - Carve

http://youtube.com/v/YIGvc1x0HeU - Off-Piste

Regards,

JC

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 6-11-10 19:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey that was good - automatic hyperlinks!! Brilliant - if only my skiing was that clever!! Sorry forgot to say that I am the chap with the green kit on in the first video and the only guy in the second!! Please ignore the accompanying narratives!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The BASI course will be great for your skiing, 5 weeks of that and you will be ripping!

Trial by video and all that? It wouldn't do any harm developing a tad more lateral separation, based on the carving image, it would enable you to put more pressure on the outside ski.

The more you are able to stand on the outside ski the more you will be able to get lateral. It's a common issue for people training for the Eurotest, gotta get lateral for
that business! Also just working through some balance drills, one ski carving etc.

Good luck on the BASI course, you must show us the after video to!

Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Possibly your outside leg was a bit straight as you rounded the turn in the snowdome. If you flex down as the turn progresses, it will allow more rotation of the femur in the socket and greater edging. The increased edging would result in a tighter turn if everything else is balanced properly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clem156, difficult to tell from just one turn, but to me it looks as if you allow your weight to drop back as you go through the turn so by the end just before you bail out you are standing on your heels. Your shoulders and maybe your hips also seem to be quite open (facing to the outside of the turn). As a result of both these things you look to be a bit out of balance so it will be difficult for you to tighten the turn by creating bigger edge angles. As skierchris, suggested, some lateral separation drills might be a good thing to work on (a favourite for me is to hold my poles across my shoulders and keep them horizontal as best I can while make short and long radius turns). Once you develop a better range of lateral separation you will be better able to angulate, so it will be easier to create big edge angles without having to ski at warp speed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just finished the BASI L2 course successfully! I think the issues highlighted above have been resolved. Videos to follow.........
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy